What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Cat's Peace.

I come through this thread to document my attempts to plant Cannabis and its resulting success or failure.

Having been unemployed for more than 6 months - and with no desire to have a job - the structure is far from ideal, with simple and quite humble equipment. I think I can make up for this with a lot of understanding of how soil and plants work, developing a natural IPM approach.

Soil is the most organic possible. I'd never like to buy anything inside a bag - no bottles will be used here - but it'll come with time - and a new place to live in the near future - as soon as I get a new job. I'm not measuring spoons and cups anymore, just mixing by eye. EWC (made with fruits and vegetables leftover), perlite, vermiculite, coco fiber, bone and kelp meal, dust rocks, oyster and eggshells and commercial compost are in the mix. The last one introduced all sorts of pests in the garden - thrips, white flies, aphids, root aphids, winged aphids, fungus gnats, spider mites, caterpillars. Along with that, I just found out that types of viroids are also present here. So must pay a lot of attention, since no poison is allowed here, not even neem.

Lights are not the best, but for flowering there will be proper horticultural lights from Vivosun (Samsung 281 leds). In Vega, just a third is Osram 5050, the other ones are simple leds. Yes, they work.

The vegetative chamber is 3 x 3 x 4 feet.
The flowering chamber is 3 x 3 x 9 feet.
Both handmade with PVC pipes and double-sided plastic visqueen.

The plants sprouted and took a long time to start growing. I used peat + perlite only for germination, perhaps this is not a good idea.

Dutch Passion - Skywalker Haze
Topped yesterday, week 5 from seed
View media item 18717246
View media item 18717247
View media item 18717248

Europa Seeds - Purple Diesel Daze
Topped yesterday, week 5 from seed
View media item 18717260
View media item 18717259
View media item 18717258

Royal Queen Seeds - White Widow
Week 5 from seed - By far the slowest of all, it hasn't stepped on the gas pedal yet.
View media item 18717256
View media item 18717257

G13 Labs - Auto Dosi
Week 5 - My first Ruderalis ever! It won't be topped, I wanna see how it grows. Hope it fits in my 4-foot tall chamber.
View media item 18717243
View media item 18717244
View media item 18717245

Paraguayan Bagseed
Week 6 - Probably a weak male.
View media item 18717250
View media item 18717249

EWC going aerobic
View media item 18717251

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
1000008658.jpg

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Now, this:

HLVd - Cannabis Covid

Auto Dosi was completely contaminated. I believe the White Widow was too, so I took it out of the chamber and quarantined it.

Both the ones that were strongest from the start are vibrating. I'll finish the repot later and hope they survive and bear good fruits. It's either that or throw everything away and start again.

Fu3k this Biomix. It brought everything bad that could be in just 3 gallons of soil.

I've never had such a bad start. More than 4 months of cultivation and only one plant harvested. The bagseeds, the customs strike and now this disease bomb.

The leaves aren't glossy green because it's already root bound. I believe that a few days after the repot it will be bright and vigorous again.

View media item 18717417
View media item 18717418
View media item 18717419
View media item 18717420
View media item 18717421
View media item 18717422
View media item 18717423
And, to make sure of the soil conditions, I stuck another White Widow bean in the ground, and it's growing normally. I didn't use the damned soil in this pot, just peat, perlite and homemade compost. Best is to test, but money is short now.

Ten minutes ago, I stuck another Skywalker and Wedding Cake freebie into the clean soil. So far, all the freebie germs are going well.

A few spills of water on the leaf but a fast growing baby.

View media item 18717424

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Purple Diesel is a hybrid marijuana strain made by crossing Pre-98 Bubba Kush with Sour Diesel. Purple Diesel produces energizing effects that are uplifting and focused. This strain is known to cause feelings of euphoria and fits of giggles. Purple Diesel tastes sour, with a fuel-like aroma. Growers say this strain has dense, dark purple buds and comes with an early flowering time of around 8 weeks. Medical marijuana patients choose this strain to help relieve symptoms related to depression and stress. (Leafly)​

View media item 18717471
1713462436967.png
(Leafly)

View media item 18717470
Plant looks Young and Fine. Every trait in perfect growth, with no signs of slow development, strangely shaped leaves or any malformation on branches or leaves. Eager to flip it. Since it is a freebie, I must clone it before flipping or lose it, 2 weeks will gimme better options for cutting. Europa Seeds made a good job in this strain.
6 weeks from seed, looking for a better recipe to speed up seedling and early vegetative growth times.

Transplant went well and there seems to have been no impact, although I messed up the roots a bit in the process to look for any signs of pest, but everything seems to be clean and without any invaders.

The incidence of unwanted macro fauna is very low and there doesn't seem to be anything there apart from mites.​

View media item 18717473
View media item 18717474
Young and Fine - Weather Report

mike-or-ozzy

Purple Diesel is a hybrid marijuana strain made by crossing Pre-98 Bubba Kush with Sour Diesel. Purple Diesel produces energizing effects that are uplifting and focused. This strain is known to cause feelings of euphoria and fits of giggles. Purple Diesel tastes sour, with a fuel-like aroma. Growers say this strain has dense, dark purple buds and comes with an early flowering time of around 8 weeks. Medical marijuana patients choose this strain to help relieve symptoms related to depression and stress. (Leafly)​

View media item 18717471
View attachment 18989510 (Leafly)

View media item 18717470
Plant looks Young and Fine. Every trait in perfect growth, with no signs of slow development, strangely shaped leaves or any malformation on branches or leaves. Eager to flip it. Since it is a freebie, I must clone it before flipping or lose it, 2 weeks will gimme better options for cutting. Europa Seeds made a good job in this strain.
6 weeks from seed, looking for a better recipe to speed up seedling and early vegetative growth times.

Transplant went well and there seems to have been no impact, although I messed up the roots a bit in the process to look for any signs of pest, but everything seems to be clean and without any invaders.

The incidence of unwanted macro fauna is very low and there doesn't seem to be anything there apart from mites.​

View media item 18717473
View media item 18717474
Young and Fine - Weather Report

I grew blue diesel years ago and had great results, still have some colas from it, prolly grown in 2015. Dry as f'k but still rips ya good style. I'll watch this one @Marz

Hasch

learning and laughing
Auto Dosi was completely contaminated. I believe the White Widow was too, so I took it out of the chamber and quarantined it.
Fu3k this Biomix. It brought everything bad that could be in just 3 gallons of soil.
Hey ya 🐈‍⬛ lover
Just discovered this thread.

Interesting grow 👍🏼

Am new to this cannabis virus thing. Are you sayin that the plants were infected by the soil?

And you are keeping them anyways (in quarantine) hoping you can still harvest them?

Good luck with your grow 🙏🏼

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
they are looking good :) cannot wait to see where you take them to

Nice Cat before I forget

all the best and grow well

Dequilo
Hey Dequilo, looking forward to the harvest with a healthy plant... I was very uncomfortable with this suspicion of HLVd, I've never lost plants to disease... and I've never had covid either...
I'm going to clone and flip these plants in the next few weeks, as basic as possible

Gloria and Linux thank you for your kind words and your much appreciated presence here in The Shelter!

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Good Luck with that grow. I like your style, meow!
Thank you Maui, the budcatter!

What an honor that comment was! The real cat in the buds! I believe the cats in the house would like to pose for a photo like this, I always see them biting the tip of the fan leaves...

Meoweed for us!

goingrey

I don't think hop latent viroid can come from the soil. It needs a suitable host like hops or cannabis.. Maybe those mutated leaves on the Auto Dosi are just a result of heavy inbreeding or something like this? Or did you have something else to support the diagnosis as well?

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I grew blue diesel years ago and had great results, still have some colas from it, prolly grown in 2015. Dry as f'k but still rips ya good style. I'll watch this one @Marz
Hi Ozzy!

I've never had any luck with freebies and this is one of the most beautiful plants I've had. It's slightly stronger than Skywalker, which is Dutch Passion and has the strongest and most stable plants I know.

About those dried buds, the Cob Style Tangwena thread has some nice recipes on how to make these guys look good again. Now that's endurance, I've never had a bud last more than a year...

Thank you for passing by and feel free to use your knowledge on the subject!

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
Hey ya 🐈‍⬛ lover
Just discovered this thread.

Interesting grow 👍🏼

Am new to this cannabis virus thing. Are you sayin that the plants were infected by the soil?

And you are keeping them anyways (in quarantine) hoping you can still harvest them?

Good luck with your grow 🙏🏼
I've been hearing about an alleged virus and how it has affected crops in various places around the world. The first time I heard it was in the context of a China-USA discussion, some people saying that China was trying to ruin agriculture in the USA, so I didn't take it very seriously. But I researched it and I saw it happening here, and it's a very bad feeling, as if I'd been infected with an STD... But I think I discovered it very early stage, before it spread to other plants, the origin is still unknown and transmission is basically through infected plants.

At first I thought it was in the soil, but now I don't think so. Soil can even transmit pathogens, but I think this viroid has another origin. I still need to study this outside the context of cannabis to understand it better, but most sources say that transmission is from plant to plant, especially through sap suckers or contaminated equipment such as pruning shears...

The quarantine is to see if the plant is really contaminated and how sick it develops. I thought about throwing it away but I'd better be more sure. It's basically outside a window without any contact with the tent and the photoperiod here is 12/12, so it's possible that it will start flowering in the next few days. I'll take some photos and post them here soon, but the symptoms are basically slow growth and oddly shaped leaves. It's very unlikely that I'll keep this plant for another 2 months, and I still run the risk of a mosquito landing on it and then on the healthy plants.

I'm more suspicious of the seeds. There's another guy here on the Italian forum who has the same problem with Royal Queen Seeds and I've also seen complaints on growdiaries.com. But I'm growing another RQS White Widow and everything is going fine for a while, so it's hard to say for sure what's contaminated around here. One seed in a 5 seeds pack is also hard to understand.

Thank you Hasch for coming, "learning and laughing" is the state I want to live in.

Marz

Stray Cat
420club
I don't think hop latent viroid can come from the soil. It needs a suitable host like hops or cannabis.. Maybe those mutated leaves on the Auto Dosi are just a result of heavy inbreeding or something like this? Or did you have something else to support the diagnosis as well?
The White Widow in what concerns me more.
Auto Dosi's story is a little different. The day before the discovery, in the morning, I noticed that there was a dead cockroach near the tent. When I went to bed day before, I realized that the cats were crazy after something, but they always do that so I didn't do anything, I just slept. The next morning I discovered that the plant was completely upside down. I tried to save it but I couldn't. The plant had broken into five pieces. That one goes to the cats. I'm still an autos virgin.

Below are two photos taken now of the WW in quarantine.
They were all seeded in the soil on the same day and germinated three days later.
The ones in bigger pots were repotted just 48 hours ago, until Wednesday (when noticed) they were in identical pots.

What you think @goingrey ?
View media item 18717492
View media item 18717491

goingrey

The White Widow in what concerns me more.
Auto Dosi's story is a little different. The day before the discovery, in the morning, I noticed that there was a dead cockroach near the tent. When I went to bed day before, I realized that the cats were crazy after something, but they always do that so I didn't do anything, I just slept. The next morning I discovered that the plant was completely upside down. I tried to save it but I couldn't. The plant had broken into five pieces. That one goes to the cats. I'm still an autos virgin.

Below are two photos taken now of the WW in quarantine.
They were all seeded in the soil on the same day and germinated three days later.
The ones in bigger pots were repotted just 48 hours ago, until Wednesday (when noticed) they were in identical pots.

What you think @goingrey ?
View media item 18717492
View media item 18717491
Hard to say, if I had to guess I would go with overwatering.