What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can't shake manganese deficiency.

Sativant

I've been growing very successfully for 6 years. I've grown landrace sativas and lots of different varieties of marijuana. I've had the usual small issues that I resolved, but this time I am defeated. I've tried lower ph, higher ph with no success.
I'm growing OG Kush by Nirvana seeds and I can't get rid of yellowing newer leaves that eventually develop brown spots and die. I use fox farm trio nutrients supplemented as needed with cal mag. Since having problems I've given weaker feeds less frequently. My light was running at 300 watts (Samsung LEDs) but I've turned it down to 200 for now.
I'm using well water, ph'd to 6.5 (plus or minus). In Stonington Blend soil by Coast of Maine soil that worked really well in the past.
Researching my issues it looked like a manganese deficiency caused perhaps by lockout ? Thinking that the ph was too high, locking out manganese I watered at ph 6. I tested the runoff and it came out at ph 7-7.2. So I watered next time at ph 5.8, but the plants look worse !
I've never had this problem before. I feel like I've tried everything.
Does anyone have any ideas ? I was really looking forward to the OG Kush...

Attachments

• IMG_3924.jpeg
    IMG_3924.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3922.jpeg
    IMG_3922.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 131

led05

Chasing The Present
I've been growing very successfully for 6 years. I've grown landrace sativas and lots of different varieties of marijuana. I've had the usual small issues that I resolved, but this time I am defeated. I've tried lower ph, higher ph with no success.
I'm growing OG Kush by Nirvana seeds and I can't get rid of yellowing newer leaves that eventually develop brown spots and die. I use fox farm trio nutrients supplemented as needed with cal mag. Since having problems I've given weaker feeds less frequently. My light was running at 300 watts (Samsung LEDs) but I've turned it down to 200 for now.
I'm using well water, ph'd to 6.5 (plus or minus). In Stonington Blend soil by Coast of Maine soil that worked really well in the past.
Researching my issues it looked like a manganese deficiency caused perhaps by lockout ? Thinking that the ph was too high, locking out manganese I watered at ph 6. I tested the runoff and it came out at ph 7-7.2. So I watered next time at ph 5.8, but the plants look worse !
I've never had this problem before. I feel like I've tried everything.
Does anyone have any ideas ? I was really looking forward to the OG Kush...
Mg, Ca, K, P, Fe, N deficiency etc showing, can’t tell ya why but Mn is least your worries imo, best guess soaking wet cool feet or PH issues, wild swings -

Not enough radiant too much 400-700nm, cool wet feet if I had to guess, hard from afar, my best guess…

PS: Calmag is worst product ever made, ratios so effed don’t even get me going - - all your bases fighting each other too… once you start chasing your tail hard to stop

GL dude

Last edited:

Dr.Mantis

Mg, Ca, K, P, Fe, N deficiency etc showing, can’t tell ya why but Mn is least your worries imo, best guess soaking wet cool feet or PH issues, wild swings -

Not enough radiant too much 400-700nm, cool wet feet if I had to guess, hard from afar, my best guess…

GL

PS: Calmag is worst product ever made, ratios so effed don’t even get me going - - all your bases fighting each other
I wanna give you a huge high five for that PS.

Onboard

I think it might be light poisoning rather than nutrient issuses. At 70 F / 33% RH, your room is likely too cold and too dry, so the plants can't convert all that strong LED light.

It seems to be a common problem in cold and dry winter grows under strong led lights. When it happens,, everything else gets out of whack, and it can't even drink much water either.

Remedies:
- Get the temps up by adding a radiator or other heat source (or switch to the old MH or HPS light).
- Get a humidifyer to increase humidity.
- Raise or dim the lights until the plants start picking up again.
- Go very easy on food and water until they start bouncing back.

Last edited:

Greenheart

Veteran
I am interested in what you find as the fix. Are you new to LED? I was struggling for a year with going to LED from HID.

I see the temp says 63 degrees. Two things in my LED grow that made a difference. Increased temps and switching to a fixture that had supplemental IR/UV. Things are healthy again. I was chasing all kinds of deficiency symptoms until those changes. I'll be trying the other lights again soon since she is healthy again. In my situation I suspect it was the temps more than the lighting.

Last edited:

Three Berries

Question for you. How well does cannabis handle chloride? I know some plants are more sensitive than others. For instance I’ve grown a fair amount of tobacco, and chloride makes it essentially fireproof lol.
I've been using them for the last couple years. No problems with burning the product.

Chlorides do not bind to soil and are easily flushed out. They are actually starting to use them as fertilizer agriculturally.

jackspratt61

It's not a deficiency, it's toxicity.
I'm interested by the comment it could be Na (salt) and wonder if road salt might be involved, as it's that time of year.
Na comes in from many sources. The op plants appear to be building na. And they need N. There's a calcium/phosphorus imbalance most likely caused by Na blocking K and a general lack of calcium in the first place. Many good suggestions regarding environment. I'd guess about 4g cano and 2g gypsum would help(perhaps up to even double those amounts). Ammonia based N would be even better considering ph issue.

Last edited: