What's new

Can't seem to get my plants to fade out in flower... help!

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Living soil or not there are ions in it the plant takes up. The higher the organic matter the lower amount can be as ions become tied up with humus and sequestered in microbes...but there better still be some ions. In fact part of those exudates form h2so4 which is quite good at ionizing ca.

A living soil has to conduct some electrity or it is a dead soil was my point.

Read the work by nova crop control. It is a myth to think you will ever have soil perfect enough to allow the plant to only take up exactly what it needs. What if the sun doesn't shine for a week...that can fuck up root exudates

no sun for a week 6.4 sap aint making it better either

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I think of it like this, growers need integrated weather controlls with lighting and thermal screens to produce quality consistently, even then there will be a dramatic loss in volatile oils and flavours when the crop isn't grown in season! Nutrients play a lesser role, if the conditions environmentally are substandard the the nutrient uptake will also be substandard. For example we don't complain much about the condition of imported green beans from India or Pineapples from wherever they're grown as these are not easily automated crops and thus have a higher production cost as well as harvesting and processing. We don't look at the sap of green beans they're a legume!

It is done where the least environmental controls are needed. Ever wonder why in the UK the growers are situated in cornwall or Scotland, or why the RHS chooses it's sites in specific locations its all about available light to get the job done.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Living soil or not there are ions in it the plant takes up. The higher the organic matter the lower amount can be as ions become tied up with humus and sequestered in microbes...but there better still be some ions. In fact part of those exudates form h2so4 which is quite good at ionizing ca.

A living soil has to conduct some electrity or it is a dead soil was my point.

Read the work by nova crop control. It is a myth to think you will ever have soil perfect enough to allow the plant to only take up exactly what it needs. What if the sun doesn't shine for a week...that can fuck up root exudates

It is not a myth, the paradigm you believe is shattered when you look outside and see healthy plants thriving in natural ecosystems.

It is a complete myth that that you need anything more than healthy living organic soil to get maximum primary and secondary metabolite production from a plant in a given environment.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lol it was a joke... organic soil self-regulates pH. At least balanced recipes do. You're awful defensive for someone who knows more than everyone in this thread. What are you trying to prove to yourself here?

Do these plants look like they're deficient? Do I need to get a sap test done to confirm that these are at peak health?

View Image

Please, tell me more about your sap tests.

Looking Sweet! :dance013:

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Dr Callahan observed the natural system and AEA has reverse engineered the same to derive solutions for horticulture.

Understand the implication of that statement "solutions", In natural healthy balanced systems there are not problems that need solutions.

So to this end it boils down to this, how to you achieve this end? can it be done naturally?

I don't argue research on plant sap, I argue the necessity to use designer solutions to achieve those means, i.e. get a plant to produce optimal primary and secondary metabolites .

I have plenty of great examples of excellent primary / secondary metabolite production per gallon of soil using a variety of organic (well as organic as AEA aka transitional) methods that out perform AEA's metrics and I did that well before they come onto the market.

Not to say they don't add value, but to say that if you think you need their specific methodology to achieve optimal plant health is asinine, especially since by the definition you provided optimal plant health is measured in primary and secondary metabolite production that doesn't need to be thrown away at harvest.

I have many examples of plants in perfect health with better primary and secondary metabolite production in regards to biomass per volume of soil. Willing to bet that they equal or outperform aea results you guys are seeing using the product.

Based on relativity and scale, they aren't rewriting the game they are just fixing fucked up soil.

fwiw i got plenty of examples and fwiw they all have a real nice fade, as does my LOS garden but thats a different story all together.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
wait why the fuck are you guys throwing away entire crops again?

picture.php

if it's got leaves...we can rebuild it.

milkyjoe

Veteran
Out of curiosity why do you always see ipm where you see so called living soils? It is amazingly easy for k to block ca in those soils when the compost provides maybe 14% or more bcs k. That pretty much gaurantees a less than perfectly healthy plant.

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well, there goes my Saturday night.
Locked for cleaning.
You guys cool off.
Burn1

BurnOne

No damn given.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cleaned this up.
The drama had better stop or bans will follow.
Final warning.
Burn1

Out of curiosity why do you always see ipm where you see so called living soils? It is amazingly easy for k to block ca in those soils when the compost provides maybe 14% or more bcs k. That pretty much gaurantees a less than perfectly healthy plant.

I agree. I also wonder how one even determines if they have healthy soil when they never test what their compost is comprised of. How do you know what to ammend with? Just some random recipe off the internet?

Take for example a basic coots mix

33% peat
33% aeration
33% compost

Before one even starts on adding amendments, how do you know if your compost wasn't made from a crop with really high levels of K, like everybody is now finding out? The answer is you don't. Maybe after years of growing organic crops in the soil, it will work it self out if treated correctly. However people that are on first year soil mixes would be very surprised what is in their soil.

For clarification, AEA and their way of growing isn't the only way to skin a cat. I stated that several times. However, they do show some fantastic science on what healthy soil should be, and how to achieve it. It comes down to soil biology, we can all agree on that.

milkyjoe

Veteran
It is not a myth, the paradigm you believe is shattered when you look outside and see healthy plants thriving in natural ecosystems.

It is a complete myth that that you need anything more than healthy living organic soil to get maximum primary and secondary metabolite production from a plant in a given environment.

Do tell...what paradigm do you think I believe?

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
Do tell...what paradigm do you think I believe?

the words below are yours not mine

It is a myth to think you will ever have soil perfect enough to allow the plant to only take up exactly what it needs.

please actualize the myth that there is no soil perfect enough to allow a plant exactly what it needs scientifically

milkyjoe

Veteran
I don't know exactly what you are asking...but how about during drought. What soil does not need help? What about heavy rain? I suspect one of us does not understand what paradigm means...could be me.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i think the biggest issue is that everyone is trying to convert a malleable free flowing thing like life into hard fast numbers. it's unpossible imho.

everyone told me all kinds of things when i was a new grower. through my own willfully ignoring them in an effort to find out myself i've managed to dispel a lot of what people in the marijuana growing scene hold as hard fact.
i share my findings with the world but they don't wanna listen because they're still holding fast and hard to "rules" there's no rules man. these plants make their own rules and adapt as they need to.

stop trying to box them in. it's not gonna work. there's no one size fit all here.

milkyjoe

Veteran
These plants are hybrids crossed with hybrids. Do you really think selection was made based on root systems taking up nutrients...c'mon. Without tissue or sap testing who knows what is actually going on