What's new

Cann's Organic No-Till Garden

D

Durdy

Did you start those hops from seed? If so, where were they purchased from and could you recommend some good varieties?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
rhizomes

gotta do 'em in spring too

idk what good varieties might be actually wondering myself

Cann

like xmobotx said, they're rhizomes. i got mine from freshops.com, although there are a few sources.

the current varieties I have are:

nugget
cascade
willamette
mt. hood

i picked those cause they are ones I use often in my brews, and they grow decently in the heat down here.

check out this list from freshops if you want to know a bit about each variets. AA (alpha acid) levels are important to know for bittering, etc. it all depends on where you live and what you want to brew...

http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/rhizome-information#rhizome_variety_list

Cann

thyme garden is awesome too..i've ordered from them in the past, but tend to receive much larger/more developed rhizomes from freshops. not sure if that was a fluke or thats how it always is, but it made me want to go with freshops this year. then again, not sure how organic their rhizomes are...

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
one of the bummers in WA is there is some kind of hops quarantine
so; any of the online retail outlets that get good reco tend to be ones which cant ship to WA and the local ones are all unknowns

John Deere

Veteran
like xmobotx said, they're rhizomes. i got mine from freshops.com, although there are a few sources.

the current varieties I have are:

nugget
cascade
willamette
mt. hood

i picked those cause they are ones I use often in my brews, and they grow decently in the heat down here.

check out this list from freshops if you want to know a bit about each variets. AA (alpha acid) levels are important to know for bittering, etc. it all depends on where you live and what you want to brew...

http://www.freshops.com/hop-growing/rhizome-information#rhizome_variety_list

The high alpha varieties seem to be the new hot thing but I prefer the classic lower alpha varieties.

bubblebert

have you checked out the 200X freeze dried powder? stuff is awesome, and way cheaper than buying bottles of aloe.

I haven't yet, but I'm gonna order some today!:thank you:

My cascade hops are on year three, they were easily 15 feet last year! I've only made tinctures with them so far, got a brew kit coming next week!

bubblebert

Hops contains lupulin, which has a sedative effect and can help with sleep. It is the yellow dust on the flowers(trichomes?).

I make a tincture with them just like I do with ganja:

Stuff a mason jar with flowers, fill it up with high proof vodka. Let it sit in a cool, dark place for a few weeks. Strain out the flowers and double boil the alcohol off until you think it's strong enough.

I find that it's nice mixed with cannabis, too!

Cann

good info bert...i'll have to try that out once I harvest my hops this year. do you use fresh flowers or dried for filling the mason jar?

invocation

Watch the vid man, Looking great!!! I make tincture too with Glycerine. I buy it by the 5 gal buckets to save a lot.

img0668vz.jpg

VortexPower420

Veteran
Nothing better then a properly made Cannabis Glycerite, sounds interesting about the hops. Maybe a mixture would be nice..

Timbuktu

Watch the vid man, Looking great!!! I make tincture too with Glycerine. I buy it by the 5 gal buckets to save a lot.

View Image

In europe they have outlawed premixed shisha tobacco (some EU restrictions that regulates the sales of flavored tobacco). What you do is you buy two bags, one with tobacco and one with glycerine (I think) - mix it up - wait three days - smoke.

My idea is that you could just buy the tobacco bag and mix it with glycerine-ganja-tinkture and smoke it. I have to try this :D

Cann

invocation, where do you get your glycerin? and can you outline your process for us? always down to learn a new extraction technique...

twistedpistils - its that windy all the time in there, i like to keep the air moving to prevent mold as well as strengthen stems, etc. some of the plants get blasted a bit more by the fans due to their placement, but overall everyone seems quite happy. much better than a stagnant room...plus it's nice to keep the air moving when my temps are hovering between 80 and 90...

anything I should look out for w/ too much wind/airflow?

Not much as long as you keep 'em happy with lots of water :D Just note excessive wind can be just a drying to a plant as a very Sunny day. However, the more cannabis transpires the more it drinks so bring on the teas and celebrate! The only fan in your set-up I worry about is the one that's blasting the air pots. Could create a dry zone and hurt those precious roots. Other than that it looks awesome! I blast my girls too, but only for 15 min on 15 min off, but I have constant low speed fans going all the time. I really like using fans that automatically gust and then blow gentle, but alas mine croaked...

D

Durdy

CANN - that link you posted for the hops isn't working for me

When I google Freshops I get to a website about brewing an hops but all the links to merchandise don't work.

:(