What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannibus Cup results

alphacat

And I think the big picture is lost on a lot of us here:

if this clusterfuckery called "the" Cannabis Cup (like there can be only one...) can rake in this much capital, think about the big picture in terms of $$$ worldwide. We all know weed is everywhere and the insane increase in businesses catering to the growing & consumption markets just prove:

1) that globally this market is as big or bigger than most legit agro-biz;
2) that if a handful of disorganized flunkies (HT) can brand themselves early on as being The Trusted Authority, even they can reap obscene profits from this biz;
3) that even our beloved herb can be commodified and marketed no differently from any toilet bowl cleaner or sweetened cereal. Just ask Arjan.

When you take these into assessment it makes me kinda angry that we're not more organized than we already are - we obviously have economic clout (the source of much political power, right up there with guns) to flex some muscle but have been kept in disarray too long to know how powerful we really are.

UNITE, sisters & brothers. All power to the people!

NorCal

Veteran
I bought a package deal and would never do it again, its nice as I knew nothing about adam and saved me time but not grief. the hotel we stayed at was shady as fuck. the people there were rude as fuck, and they wouldnt allow uus to smoke in our rooms!!!
if we did and the alarm went off wed be charged 50 euro or like $65-70,
the others we stayed with didnt opt to get an apt like we did and had it worst.
we had a kitchen/dishes in our room but werent allowed to use it, we had no idea and upon checkout they said theyd be charging us 100 extra euro for the room as we didnt clean it up. WTF I thought I was in a hotel? thy never once came to clean or give us towels in 2 weeks we were there, straight bs.

and yeah you basically pay $200 to wear a pass that gets you preferential treatment at the cafes and sometimes a goody bag. realistically they wont even let you into some cafes w/o it when the cup is on. we thought youd go to the cafes and get a sample from each one, nope, greenhouse was actually the only one to give out samples in their goodie bags. you were supposed to go the cup and go to a special judges area (we didnt find out where it was until too late) and there you were supposedly given samples to try but I never made it there. the directions to the place were terrible, something like, go to central station and take the shuttle.

ok so were in ccentral station (pickpocket heaven) and look forever for the shuttles (expecting a bus) the shutle was actually a ferry. so when I get to the docks finally after waitng forever at what we thought was a bus/shuttle stop, theres multiple ferries and which one do it take? to where? finally we realize we should take the one that had all the stoner lookin people on it and freeze our asses off in the 45 f raining weather for 20-30 minutes. then when we get off at the dock we just follow everyone else and walked for like 10-15 minutes again in the cold to finally reach a small pos warehouse, thats just as cold as outside but with so many people inside everyones nuts to butts trying to see the vendors in their little school desks, it was weak, I actually hated going there (the cup,not adam) only reason I evenwent to the event was to try and meet rez and reeferman, everyone said they were gonna show but I wasnt able to find em, i still got some decen genetics but I would have loved to speak to these people face to face, that would have made all the bs worth it, hth....

kush07

It is rigged because Arjan kief his entry buds one year. Ever since that he has won with bullshit strains there is a picture of his bud entry to the cup and my first year growing I grew frostier shit than that POS bud he entered. From all the great offerings from DNA and THseeds theres no way he would have won if he didn't bribe the judges. There is also rumors that Steve Hager (Editor-N-Chief of HT) and Arjan have a deal that he will win the cup because of how much he pays in advertising fees to HT's. He has multiple ads and each issue. Even a few backcovers. That's mucho dinaro right there. The cup is just bullshit which is why Rezdog never enters, Subcool should have thought like that instead of being so sure he'd win...haha. Maybe if it was a fair competition...Scamabis Cup is more like it.

RoNdO

Ok Ok and now for something completely unrelated to Arjan.

Paradise Seeds Opium anyone know anything about this strain, its origins or any info about it at all. I trust Paradise, I also love Sativas and lo and behold Paradise has placed in the sativa cup and I haven't a clue what its about, any help is appreciated.

NorCal

Veteran
yeah sorry to steer the thread in the wrong direction, its just people need to know this stuff, and that opium, is it new? I have yet to hear of it, im interested as well...

there is no such thing as the best when it comes to strains. what might be great to one might not be to another.all of us at one time or another has smoked a bowl or joint with someone that we thought was killer and no one knew where the hell it came from. thats why we share and trade genetics.to grow and breed what we like. there is good,bad,alright, and awesome. depends on your taste, and what you're looking for in a bud.look at how many threads there are of people buying the same strain from the same breeder in the same time frame where one smokes it and loves it and the other would'nt piss on that same breeder if he or she were on fire! you gotta stay civil ,secure , and network whenever possible . grow as much different stuff as you can and selective breeding.

G

Hate to say it, because I like Arjan, but his strains (Haze #1 2 4 8999) do not get a seasoned head high... I tried to smoke a headie nug given to me by the mgr of the greenhouse, in trade for my OG Kush, and although it looked splendid, it did nothing at 830am as a wake-n-bake. That is truly a litmus test for me. Never has any of his hazes done the job. Except Super Silver, and hats off to Arjan for that strain. Everyone else has won with it, after he did.

Big Buddah - however - has something there. The Cheese is exquisite, especially if you can get the danker afghani pheno. Plus, he is an amazing person. If Arjan pairs up with BB, as it appeared at the Cup, it will be time that he has another wonderful strain in his stable. Even if that is part of why BB won, the strain is still kickin'..!

DNA wins but not for their Indicas, which I prefer over their sativas... They have many excellent strains as well. Worthy of victories, and they too, are killer dudes, who style their people out at the Cup...

The Cup sucks now, logistically, and although I will return again next year, I do not have thew same fascination for AMS as I used to. The arrangements in 06 were deplorable, and there was awful music for the events, although the Kottonmouth Kings were fun. No more bands from 35 years ago please...!@ The demographics have changed, it is less oldsters with white ponytails, and more shaved heads and Puma clothes - for good or ill - no one cares about the 9th version of the Jefferson Starship. They were shit.

Tired of being squeezed as a traveller for high prices on everything. And the Dollar is going down, down.......

But what other choices are there. Of course 4;20, and airfares are 1000usd plus for that period... Easter and all...

We have a nice "Cup" here, as well.