What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannibus Cup results

G

What I hate the most about the current cup situation is the backlash it will have on new growers. I know when I first started out "cannabis cup winner" seemed like the ultimate barometer to me, Id hate to see tons of new growers do the same with the crap that wins now.

guerilla

wick650

WTF...
How does a thai strain win 2nd place in the Indica catagory...

Also, the barney's Night Shade is either superdawgXpineapple or A5xG13haze, hardly indicas. I was actually lucky enough to get clones of a few phenos of Barney's superdawgXpineapple from the owner of a local Californian Medical MJ disp. whom got seeds from the dudes at Barney's, and I can tell you guys that cross is no Indica LOL

P.S
Can anyone tell me if the Barney's superdawgXpineapple is this Nightshade strain BTW? I have also heard it go by the name "Honey B"...

Mibri

I definately know that i've been buying Cannabis Cub Winners from Sensiseeds. They were very nice though. They've might won before the game getting rigged (which i must asume after reading this thread).
How was it rigged? How is the cup not fair? Let us newbies know, so we don't buy those seeds anymore. I was about to buy Arjan's Ultra Haze before reading this.

o.gkushowns

18 and Doh!
I enjoy DNA strains though I haven't smoked the martian yet. I always hear the cup is rigged on icmag. but is this prooven or is it a theory because Greenhouse wins every year? Maybe the judges are subconsciensly leaning towards greenhouse strains because they have won so many times.
peace

Moppel

Grower for Life
Veteran
Mibri, i dont know how he buys the cup, but it is for sure (me and others who smoked their entry, check the other threads about the cc) that the strain he entered with was from very low quality, not a cup winner at all. He also had a dol made the sold , offcourse made before the cup. It had the cup in his hands already.

p/s the guy calls himself the king of cannabis.....doesnt that say enough to NOT buy his seeds.

p/s 2. Shanti took all his strains with him, for example the ssh isnt reallt good from greenhouse.

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
Mibri said:
Did you guys see those Arjan's Ultra on youtube?
The plants they grew really look nice.

I suspect they're plastic fakes. Why do you think the camera's out of focus all the time?

Last edited:

Mibri

Hehe, well, i don't think those a plastic. Just don't like that nobody can say more on these blames. Are there evidence or something. Just would like to know why greenhouse is hated

Capt. Crip

Strain Seeker/Mirage Reading Master
Veteran
Mibri,
Grow some of the present greenghouse offering and you will see why everyone hates this clown...
I've grown the white Widow from the original square packs and the Whit Widow from the new round packs.I'vwe also done the Himilaya Gold and the el nino..
None of these genetics were what they were supposed to be and not 1 single keeper plant in all these packs of seeds...

Now on the other hand.....I grew the White Widow back in about 96 or 97 and the herb was just as advertised...Fuckin' killer solid white trichome covered flowers!!!!!Shanti leaves and even leaves the genetics for the "white" lines and this guy either loses or kills off these genetics....

What he now sells in the place of white widow does not even get frosty!!

The genetics are crap!!Anyone can grow killer buds and enter them in a contest and call it there own...But you cannot grow out the kill using his seeds....Now you might get lucky and find a keeper here or there,but it's probably just F2's of Shantis or others work....

Take care and I hope I have saved you a little time and $...............................CC

Mibri

Hehe yes, i definately don't want any of that. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't just a lot of mad people

TORC

wick650 said:
WTF...
How does a thai strain win 2nd place in the Indica catagory...

Also, the barney's Night Shade is either superdawgXpineapple or A5xG13haze, hardly indicas. I was actually lucky enough to get clones of a few phenos of Barney's superdawgXpineapple from the owner of a local Californian Medical MJ disp. whom got seeds from the dudes at Barney's, and I can tell you guys that cross is no Indica LOL

P.S
Can anyone tell me if the Barney's superdawgXpineapple is this Nightshade strain BTW? I have also heard it go by the name "Honey B"...
Nightshade is a strain that Reeferman cooked up, however he declined to pursue it any further due to it's tendency to hermie. I believe Arjan still has the female side of all their old lines, however he does not have the males, Shanti does.

Nickcorp187

well the cup has hundreds of judges anyone can be a judge. you simply buy a judges pass and you get samples and get to vote on the strains if you check into it each strain that won got hundreds of votes each. whether it is rigged or not I don't know but TH seeds put more money into the CC this year than any other company, and they didn't walk away with any winners. Don't get me wrong it could still be rigged and it is much to commercial for my taste, but I don't think argan is bribing that many people. I also personally don't think a cannabis breeder should have a fucking boggle head doll of himself it does kinda make you wonder though why GH has won every year since like 98 or 99.

jojajico

Veteran
u guys still havent presented any ture evidence the thing is rigged. im not saying that it isnt but come on if your gunna make accusations back it up you kno. reading this made me come up with a cool idea. probably wont ever happen but still cool.

a new cup where breeders put a code on each package of seeds. when you buy the seeds you can then go online after growing and smoking and vote on quality, the strain that gets the best scores weighted by the volume of sales wins. that way we the growers and smokers choose what wins.

BennyBlanco

Can It All Be So Simple!
Veteran
Even if 100's of peeps vote....Im sure they dont tally the votes...that prolly comes down to a handfull of peeps...its much more esier to sway a handful then 100's

mitsu1

Lifetime Member
ICMag Donor
Save your self a bunch of money and time..Don't buy seeds because they won the cup..Most don't live up to the hype..Read smoke/grow reports here..See what real growers and breeders think of the strains..Anybody can be a judge at the HTCC..Some started smoking yesterday...The HTCC is purely a money generating machine...It's a nice vacation, but nothing to take seriously..mitsu

NorCal

Veteran
the cup was really a learning experience for me. I wasnt happy at all but all I can say is if you grow your own and have the right genetics you may as well stay home. I got to realize the politics involved in winning a cup and how these high times people seem to have the market in their hand. The cup is nothing more than a few friends that "work" for high times, get a pos venue (cold as hell and about the size of a very small warehouse) and market the hell out of their annual event courtesy of their national publication,great idea!!!! lets do the math $200 to be a "judge" and atleast 5000 people = a cool milion. then theres the vendors who were reportedly charged about $2k a table, and in the end the tables ended up being smaller than a school desk as some werent even accounted for and had to share w/ others.
anyone could put one of those events on and im sure they could do it a lot better (such as ICMAG). We werent even told how to get to the event much less where it even was. if i wasnt w/ a celebrity judge I can guarantee you I would have never made it to the actual event (which wouldnt have been a big deal anyways)

and IMHO the g13/haze killed everything there, the only bud I found worthy of my money and time (I had to walk a bit to get it) and I stayed right nextdoor to the greenhouse! Arjan won because he is the "self proclaimed" king of cannabis (I thought kings were nominated/appointed) and he markets himself better than anyone out there, you couldnt walk down the street w/o seeing someone w/ his bags full of goodies (made in china BTW) He even gets high profile people to buy into the hype which just helps to fuel it, when rappers/actors/famous people show up hearing the best dank comes from the greenhouse they get their picture taken and it gets put up on a wall. shit when I was there, the kottonmouth kings and the roots were in there sitting down, if that doesnt help publicize you, I dont know what will...

im ultimately glad I got to go and atleast realize the GH strains were crap, if I was in the states like anyone else those would probably be the beans I would be eyeing the most (as a result of the markketing) and id sure as hell be pissed when i recieved my flashy package and waited 12-13 weeks for some bs to flower.

howcan you say that theres still no evidence of the competition being rigged?
did you go and smoke the strains each and vote?

well if you did youd put 2 and 2 together and realize theirs somethig wrong when some commercial grown bud was entered into the competition to find the best cannabis strains in the world. its like most peoples idea of bc being entered ( iknow theres outstanding buds in BC, but it doesnt always get sent to the states :sad:) it just shouldnt happen, I tried to give em the benefit of the doubt as the GH weed looked shitty so I bought some to smoke, I wasnt impressed at all. hell I wasnt even high.

I will say however, the greenhouse is one of the more hospitable cafes and arjan is really a nice guy, he may not be the king in my book but I gotta give him that as all I got in adam was bunch of attitude from people, so ultimately I probably would go back there to hang and have a drink.

BTW the judges that pay $200 are the ones who pick the peoples choice award, the real cups get chosen by a panel of celebrity judges whom im sure get comped left and right courtesy of certain cafes, HTH

jojajico

Veteran
NorCal said:
the cup was really a learning experience for me. I wasnt happy at all but all I can say is if you grow your own and have the right genetics you may as well stay home. I got to realize the politics involved in winning a cup and how these high times people seem to have the market in their hand. The cup is nothing more than a few friends that "work" for high times, get a pos venue (cold as hell and about the size of a very small warehouse) and market the hell out of their annual event courtesy of their national publication,great idea!!!! lets do the math $200 to be a "judge" and atleast 5000 people = a cool milion. then theres the vendors who were reportedly charged about $2k a table, and in the end the tables ended up being smaller than a school desk as some werent even accounted for and had to share w/ others.
anyone could put one of those events on and im sure they could do it a lot better (such as ICMAG). We werent even told how to get to the event much less where it even was. if i wasnt w/ a celebrity judge I can guarantee you I would have never made it to the actual event (which wouldnt have been a big deal anyways)

and IMHO the g13/haze killed everything there, the only bud I found worthy of my money and time (I had to walk a bit to get it) and I stayed right nextdoor to the greenhouse! Arjan won because he is the "self proclaimed" king of cannabis (I thought kings were nominated/appointed) and he markets himself better than anyone out there, you couldnt walk down the street w/o seeing someone w/ his bags full of goodies (made in china BTW) He even gets high profile people to buy into the hype which just helps to fuel it, when rappers/actors/famous people show up hearing the best dank comes from the greenhouse they get their picture taken and it gets put up on a wall. shit when I was there, the kottonmouth kings and the roots were in there sitting down, if that doesnt help publicize you, I dont know what will...

im ultimately glad I got to go and atleast realize the GH strains were crap, if I was in the states like anyone else those would probably be the beans I would be eyeing the most (as a result of the markketing) and id sure as hell be pissed when i recieved my flashy package and waited 12-13 weeks for some bs to flower.

howcan you say that theres still no evidence of the competition being rigged?
did you go and smoke the strains each and vote?

well if you did youd put 2 and 2 together and realize theirs somethig wrong when some commercial grown bud was entered into the competition to find the best cannabis strains in the world. its like most peoples idea of bc being entered ( iknow theres outstanding buds in BC, but it doesnt always get sent to the states :sad:) it just shouldnt happen, I tried to give em the benefit of the doubt as the GH weed looked shitty so I bought some to smoke, I wasnt impressed at all. hell I wasnt even high.

I will say however, the greenhouse is one of the more hospitable cafes and arjan is really a nice guy, he may not be the king in my book but I gotta give him that as all I got in adam was bunch of attitude from people, so ultimately I probably would go back there to hang and have a drink.

BTW the judges that pay $200 are the ones who pick the peoples choice award, the real cups get chosen by a panel of celebrity judges whom im sure get comped left and right courtesy of certain cafes, HTH
good post thanks for breaking it donw for us from your persepective. so how does the cup work you buy tickets as a judge and u get to smoke all the samples or what? you said you coudlnt even fiind the place? whats up with that? they keep it secret?

Latest posts

Latest posts