What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CannaRed's first grow diary

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
picture.php

Friday or Saturday I'm going to take my last set of cuts from all my plants and flip to bloom.

The taller phenos are getting big.
Like last time, I'm taking cuts from tops. On some of the plants thats really my only option. Some don't branch much.
Im going to even out the branches from taking cuts last time, and get closer pics.

When I split up the seedlings I made sure to evenly distribute the tall and short plants to each chamber.

The plants are taller under the HGL.
Stoked to see what happens in bloom!
Top chamber CLR
picture.php

Bottom chamber HGL
picture.php

I need to rig some sort of shelf in the Phototron for my clones. Plenty of light up the sides, I need to take advantage of it.
picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Here's the bloom under 600w HPS.
picture.php
picture.php

These two are volunteer plants that came up in a pot, and I cloned, just because I could. Not sure what they are but has the same skinny pistils like my GSC M plant.
picture.php
picture.php

GSC M
picture.php

Loving those purple buds. Our plants will typically grow a bit taller than a blurple panel, simply because we don't use as much blue as they do (nor do most of them use green). Blue light keeps plants shorter, and the higher the percentage of blue the more this is pronounced. Green light initiates stretch, and thus with our lights having less blue plus green you get taller plants. :)

QQNPK

Loving those purple buds. Our plants will typically grow a bit taller than a blurple panel, simply because we don't use as much blue as they do (nor do most of them use green). Blue light keeps plants shorter, and the higher the percentage of blue the more this is pronounced. Green light initiates stretch, and thus with our lights having less blue plus green you get taller plants. :)

I read just the opposite that plants in veg use blue to grow and green is what keeps them from stretching?

This is what i read

Green Means Grow: How Green Light Affects Plant Growth Takeaway: In horticulture, red and blue wavelengths were thought to be the only part of the spectrum that drove photosynthesis because chlorophylls are receptive to those colors. New research now reveals that previously dismissed green light can also drive plant growth. Fluence Bioengineering’s chief innovation scientist Dung Duong explains the new data.
In horticulture, red and blue wavelengths were thought to be the only part of the spectrum that drove photosynthesis because chlorophylls are receptive to those colors. New research now reveals that previously dismissed green light can also drive plant growth. Fluence Bioengineering’s chief innovation scientist Dung Duong explains the new data.

The current state of the LED horticulture lighting industry would lead some to believe the world only exists in shades of red and blue. Thanks to narrow readings of research done by Dr. K.J. McRee and Dr. Katsumi Inada, a general consensus in the industry is visible ranges of red and blue light are the only wavelengths of light needed to induce photosynthesis.

However, a better analysis of the experiments conducted by McCree and Inada has shown limitations on what should be concluded from their research. It is important to recognize the discrete findings from McCree and Inada do reinforce historical experiments which reached similar conclusions but also clearly define the boundaries in terms of technology and intent regarding how each of these experiments were performed. While McCree’s research and Inada’s research are groundbreaking for understanding the science behind photosynthesis, there have been assumptions derived by the horticultural lighting industry which are incorrect.

As already established, chlorophylls are highly receptive to red and blue light (Figures 2a and 2e). Red and blue light will penetrate the top few cellular layers of a single leaf but will generally be absorbed by chlorophylls located in those top few layers. Green light behaves differently when it penetrates the top layers of the leaf (Figure 2c) as it is not as effective at being absorbed by chlorophylls. This characteristic is beneficial as it allows green light to penetrate deeper into each layer and partially transmit through the bottom layer. When this is applied to an entire plant, this characteristic allows green light to efficiently penetrate through to the entire lower plant canopy driving greater photosynthesis throughout the entire plant.

There is an important distinction to be made in research regarding conclusions that are drawn from measurements of a single leaf compared to those of an entire plant. McCree and Inada both identified biological effects associated with various wavelengths of light on single leaves of a wide variety of plants. This is represented in what is known as the action spectrum (Figure 3). The biological effect of green photons historically may have been discounted because the green photons absorbed by carotenoids in single leaves were thought to have a negligible biological effect. However, when this seemingly negligible reaction is measured across an entire plant, the efficiency of green light on every leaf in a plant becomes much more apparent,
Efficiency: What is Good for the Fixture May Not Be Good for the Plant
To understand this distinction of efficiency, one needs to further dissect how the photoreceptors in a plant interact with green light, particularly at the most basic level: the photon. A basic precept of plant photobiology is how green photons are mostly reflected when hitting chlorophylls at the surface of the leaf, which gives plants their greenish color. However, not all green photons are reflected. Some will pass-through air interfaces in the chloroplasts and will even transmit through chlorophylls.

Because green photons are not absorbed completely by photoreceptors at the surface of the leaf (Figure 2), green light is able to penetrate deeper through a leaf to drive photosynthesis in chloroplasts located towards the bottom surface of the leaf and beyond. This reaction with green light occurs more effectively at high photosynthetic photon flux density (PPFD) than red light emitted at a comparable PPFD. In fact, as PPFD increases, light energy that is absorbed in the upper chloroplasts will reach a saturation point and will be dissipated as heat, while penetrating green light increases photosynthesis by exciting chloroplasts located deep in the mesophyll. And since green light penetrates much more effectively to the lower canopy, green light will help drive photosynthesis across the whole plant as it is absorbed by leaves in the lower canopy not exposed to red or blue light." So which one is true..?

Last edited:

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
HGL
picture.php

CLW
picture.php

They are definitely taller. I hope that translates to higher yield. Stretchiness is something I usually try to avoid.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Yet another wrinkle in my grow.
In the Rust2 thread I asked Vermontman (the breeder of purple Satellite) about how the P.S. stretches when flipped to 12/12.
This is how he answered:
Hey Canna!
thank you, Purple Satellite is designed especially for outdoor grows, There is pretty detailed info on seed finder, in term if you try to flower them indoors. P.S. is not a crazy stretcher though. They most certainly will not do well if you cut light cycle to sharply indoors as in from 18 hours light down to 12 hours of light. That would most certainly stress the plants into putting out male flowers

This is the detailed info on SF.eu
Purple Satellite is not prone to hermaphrodite but,
Indoors Purple Satellite takes special skills to flower properly. She does best under 360W per three square feet of red heavy LED grow lights at a flowering initiation time of 14/10 light cycle or the first several weeks. Then graduating down to 13/11 for a few weeks then down to 12/12 to finish. This comes from the Nepali side o the strain being adapted to growing in the most northern regions of Denmark where the summer day length is very long.

Kind of contradictory.

So I guess I better flip slowly. More time. That means they are going to get even taller!

I topped and took 2 cuts of each of P.S., B.H., and Nl5xHaze(Facebook seeds).
picture.php

Got dozens of clones stacked on top of each other.
picture.php

After cutting clones. I cut back the light hours from 17 to 14.

I took all the fan leaves that I trimmed off, and made tea. Wanted to see how it tasted. I put sugar in. ( I'm from VA, we drink our tea sweet!) Not bad.
picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I would make weed leaf salads from time to time. Make a nice dressing for it. Wasn't bad lol.

Anybody ever try cooking them like greens?

Or making a "wilted salad". Pour hot bacon grease over the greens, causing them to wilt. Add a little vinegar.

Maybe could add wax to bacon grease for medicated salad.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ive been thinking about using fan leaves to make edibles and topical oils, posted a study kind of recently about cannabinoid development in fan leaves during the plants lifecycle in the lighting/plant reactions thread post #54. :tiphat:

Lol its right below a post of yours in the lighting thread about trichomes on veg plants cannared.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
Ive been thinking about using fan leaves to make edibles and topical oils, posted a study kind of recently about cannabinoid development in fan leaves during the plants lifecycle in the lighting/plant reactions thread post #54. :tiphat:

Lol its right below a post of yours in the lighting thread about trichomes on veg plants cannared.

Do it! We gotta use up every part of the buffalo. Lol

shaggyballs

Veteran
I put some fresh cut popcorn buds through a masticating juicer a week or 2 ago.
No buzz, being mostly THC-A but I could feel the medicinal effects in my throat.
I did a paper plate full and it only gave up a small amount of juice.
About 1 inch in a large jar.
It was interesting for sure!

picture.php

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I put some fresh cut popcorn buds through a masticating juicer a week or 2 ago.
No buzz, being mostly THC-A but I could feel the medicinal effects in my throat.
I did a paper plate full and it only gave up a small amount of juice.
About 1 inch in a large jar.
It was interesting for sure!

View Image

Cool. What did you do with the pulp?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
This weekend, some plants are gonna have to go outside. This coming Friday will be 30 days since I put fresh cuts under 12/12, so figure out sex.
As of last Friday none had showed, or my eyes couldn't tell. I haven't checked since then, can't seem to get home from work before lights out.
Either way plants are going outside. Especially the taller ones. There's no way I can grow them in my tiny chambers. Especially considering I'm not at 12/12 yet, due to Vermontman's recommendation.

The Blooming plants under my 600hps should be done soonish. Today is day 54. Last of my regular come down at 70. Just not sure about the finishing times of the two volunteers that popped up. Gotta put all my clones somewhere, so I'll set the timers to veg, and keep em there till the first side by side is finished.

Still haven't posted any pics of my outdoor. Looks like a storm coming so I certainly ain't going out now. Had a good soaking rain, day before yesterday, even if it doesn't rain today.

PDX Dopesmoker

I made fan leaf pesto a few years ago, it was about 20-30g of dried fans per serving and pretty strong stuff, but a little bit too fibrous to be entirely palatable.