What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

Anyone thats listening

Anyone thats listening

I am trying to make the butter. I cut around a oz off females 56 days into flower and used them wet right off the plant. Should i dry them out first before i make butter. Would it be better or more potent if i did let it dry? Thanks for any advice

glasspackedbowl

Medical Test grower. Inquire within...
Veteran
you can use it wet. But I believe dry is better. As it helps to soak up water and then when you ring out the cooked material, it will help get the last drops of stuff from the leafs. Good luck :wave:

oldnslow

Harvest is a great time!
The large fans go to cannabutter
Small frosty trim goes to bubblebags
And then theres the sissorshash thats kinda like the cannabutter....Ya never know if its any good cause i always wake up a few hrs later wondering what happened :wave:

This is a great thread and its nice to go back over it to sorta brush up now and again.

One quetion. Its widely agreed that thc will degrade at 375f or so. Personally, i dont know it thats fact or not, but it occurs to me that some recipes call for baking temps very close to 375, so...... does the cooking degrade the thc in the butter? Just wondering. :chin:

G

Great thread Haschishin!

I made a few batches of brownies and had a hazy few days. :D

Be safe,
blue

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
oldnslow said:
One quetion. Its widely agreed that thc will degrade at 375f or so. Personally, i dont know it thats fact or not, but it occurs to me that some recipes call for baking temps very close to 375, so...... does the cooking degrade the thc in the butter? Just wondering. :chin:

I have wondered the same thing. I guess you would have to make a cookie recipe at 2 different temps with the same butter. THe lower temp will simply cook longer then try them both and see. :dueling:

G

You could also put the budder in some cap's for pills right? What would be best, gelatin or vegetable caps?

Sorry if off topic.

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
gel but the butter still only has a halflife of 5 or so days so just dont let them sit. They'd be little sour pills of death(not in a good way either). lol

G

Hi all new member here,
A little tip I have learnt over the years is to use a metal mesh strainer(the round ones with the handle) Do not use the plastic ones. Saves you burning your hands trying to squeeze cheesecloth/stocking

Poor through the strainer and press with the back of a laddle.
Put the left over used weed into a pot/saucepan and add boiling water from kettle so that it just covers the used green.
Stir and let sit for a couple of minutes then repeat the strain and press process.
Tends to get all the remaining oily goodness out of the green :joint:
Hope this helps
L8tr Brodie

Last edited:

magoo420

:rasta: ... Nice thread, I need to start cooking with the herb. Myn lungs arn't in the best of shape, besides, it gives me more to do th the left over from vaping....Thanks again ....Magoo420 :joint:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
So I just made my first "special" cookies, using cannabutter by following these steps. I used what I guess to be about 7g of popcorn buds, semi trimmed and semi dry. I used one stick of butter, and made one batch of cookies using the whole thing. There are 14 cookies (13 now) so I figure each one has about 0.5g cooked in. I just ate it about 10 minutes ago, I guess we'll see how it worked soon. Here's some pictures of my process.

I let the water/butter sit in the fridge for 24 hours, and it only really solidified around the edges. I had to strain a lot of it through a triple layered cheese cloth to get the rest that was just floating on top of the water.

The cookie had a very slight plant odor/taste at the first bite, but while eating it it wasn't noticeable at all. I thought it would be a lot stronger, but I'm glad it's not.

Edit: Well, it's been an hour and a half, and my eyes just feel heavy. :badday:

My girlfriend gets home from work in a couple hours, maybe we'll have a whole bunch of cookies. I'm a little disappointed, I dunno what happened. I smoked a bowl of the popcorn buds and it definitely got me high.

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
so how did they turn out? you know it can take up to 2 hours to get high from eating pot. Also if you ate anything before you get high it will not get you as baked. Another thing is that if you smoke you wont feel the pot high from eating it as much as the high from smoking it. Try this out...

Take about 72 hours off from smoking. Remember we get used to things so if you give your self the 3 days of smokin it will make it that much more potent. Then the night of the 3rd day eat 2 cookies at around 4 pm. Trust me.

I cant stress this enough
you have to eat 2X as much pot as you would smoke in one sitting.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I cant stress this enough you have to eat 2X as much pot as you would smoke in one sitting.

Never knew that, would've been helpful. Well this is how it went. I woke up and made these cookies, and had one right after it cooled, so it was on an empty stomach. I had a glass of milk with it though, so... I dunno. Either way, I just wanted to go back to sleep, and the urge for that got stronger starting from about 20 minutes after I ate it until I was fighting to stay awake about 90 minutes after I ate them. It wore off over a couple hours.

When my girlfriend got home, I told her one didn't do much for me, so she had two, and I had three. The only other thing I ate today was a can of soup about an hour before eating the three cookies. After about an hour, I was definitely feeling weird, I couldn't tell exactly what it was though. My girlfriend just wanted to take a nap, so she slept for 45 minutes. I laid down next to her to take a nap too but I could not get my mind to rest.

We have an air mattress bed, and just feeling it beneath me made me wonder about the air pump, and how the mattress stayed sealed, how much psi it could take, etc. It felt like I was going through the entire way it worked. I had been working on a spreadsheet earlier (calculating nutrient combinations and stuff) and I started thinking about that. I was thinking different formulas and number to try to get the calculations to work the way I imagined. I'm pretty sure I had the right thing, but I forgot it by the time I got back to the worksheet.

I had three cookies at about 6:00, and started feeling it around 6:30. My girlfriend went to sleep at 6:45, and from the time she did until the alarm went off (45 minutes) I felt like only 10 minutes had passed. We got into a bit of an argument and I went downstairs to cook dinner. I made hers, as I wasn't very hungry, and it was very entertaining. Watching and listening to the rice-a-roni boil was pretty fun.

After she ate dinner I felt like I was beginning to come down from it (after about 2.5 hours) so I packed a bowl and we went out and smoked. She said she didn't feel anything before or after she woke up from her nap, and I think she probably just felt tired the way I did this morning. After we smoked I watched my own serving of rice-a-roni boil (just about as amusing as the first time) and now I'm here.

There's seven or eight cookies left, so I'd say the next day we've both got off we'll split those. I'm pretty pleased with it, although after three of those cookies you're pretty full, so next time I'll try to go a little heavier on the amount of bud per stick of butter.

.....wow, sorry that's so long.

TNTBudSticker

Veteran
To make really good MJ cookies

cookie dough
blender
weed-bud
oven

Get cookie dough,,,blend weed in blender...take the weed and use about 3 cookies per gram of weed..mix with dough till the cookie is green with weed.. ( .3 grams per cookie)

Cook it low in oven till its ready in 20 minutes... You'll get high and use milk to drink :)

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
bounty sounds good, thats the way you feel. WHen eating pot its more like that high you have after smoking. Like after 20-40 min or so, depending of the strength of the pot, after you smoked where your high but not at that peak so to say and want another hit. But you are still high just not lifted. So many people think they got jiped or something. I did like you and made pretty weak cookie my first run. But I had a canna treat from canada and it knocked me on my ass. It all depends of what you use to make it!

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
I used that same betty crocker mix but did sugar cookie instead. One of my friends doesnt like chocolate. I might make rice crispy treats next time. I have about 2 ounces of dry leaf/shake from cali outdoor buds. So I figure that should make a nice stick or 2 of butter! :wave:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I think the next time I cook, I'll try using an oz for a stick of butter. Would salted or unsalted butter make a difference?

The cookies I have now I think would be very good sleep aids. Just take one about a half hour before you want to go to sleep, and I'm sure it'll really help. I might actually keep some around for that purpose, because I can never go to sleep for at least a few hours after I smoke, my mind is just too busy like it was after I ate three cookies.

At a serving of approximately 0.5g, I'd say this could be a useful sleep aid, and this was made from a sativa dominant plant.

Edit: Also, I plan on water curing the next batch that I cook with. The plant taste/smell was much less a few hours after the cookies were out of the oven, as opposed to eating them still warm. If the watercure works the way I hope, the butter shouldn't change color very much, and there should be very minimal impact to the taste/smell of the baked goods.

Last edited:

glasspackedbowl

Veteran
bounty29 said:
I think the next time I cook, I'll try using an oz for a stick of butter. Would salted or unsalted butter make a difference?

The cookies I have now I think would be very good sleep aids. Just take one about a half hour before you want to go to sleep, and I'm sure it'll really help. I might actually keep some around for that purpose, because I can never go to sleep for at least a few hours after I smoke, my mind is just too busy like it was after I ate three cookies.

At a serving of approximately 0.5g, I'd say this could be a useful sleep aid, and this was made from a sativa dominant plant.

Edit: Also, I plan on water curing the next batch that I cook with. The plant taste/smell was much less a few hours after the cookies were out of the oven, as opposed to eating them still warm. If the watercure works the way I hope, the butter shouldn't change color very much, and there should be very minimal impact to the taste/smell of the baked goods.

Remember that these will last about 10 days then they will go sour. So unless you freeze the extra cookies they wont last too long. Maybe they would keep longer if refrigerated.

Good question. Someone brought it up and I cant remember if salted butter is better or not. But you would have to make 2 batches on 2 different burners with same pot and see what happens. Then you will know.

I dont know how that water cure will go over. But you can also use a silk screen(used to print ink to front of T-shirt) to make keif(hash) and use that and less plant material for better taste!

rusto

Beast
just a stick and a halfs worth (6 ounces) with over a half ounce of plant matter and 1.4 grams of quality nug. simmered for 2 hours and 45 minutes and used a t-shirt instead of cheesecloth

its in the fridge now...

Latest posts

Latest posts