What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabutter In 7 Easy Steps!

Made a small batch with 100g of coconut oil & 50g of butter with 7g's of bud & 5g's of trim. I use a simmer ring on my burner so I can control the heat & keep the mixture just ticking over.
Once solidified after 4 hours of cooking my 'butter' didn't look green so I put back on stove for another 3 hours. Still doesn't look green. Hope the colour doesn't mean I've buggered the mix.

I then mixed my 'butter' with a couple of grams of Hbo oil under a low heat. The two looked like they didn't want to mix together. Once that was solidified there is a thin layer of Hbo oil on the bottom of the jar.

Haven't tried a full dose yet (I made most of the mix for friends) but judging by the effects from licking the bowls & utensils it will be well received :) None-the-less, that could just be the Hbo oil.
Does the colour of the butter indicate I've done something wrong while cooking the green material?

C

cheddacat

afghan kush x yumbolt brownies

afghan kush x yumbolt brownies

I eat mine during the day when unable to smoke.
picture.php
picture.php

Elements001

Enhance
Veteran
I just made my first batch and I was wondering what you guys did about the weird watery layer on the bottom of the butter once its cooled. I ended up scraping it all of until I had a uniform color slab of butter. I used that plus some of the butter in my brownies and noticed it looked like there was a decent amount of water on the bottom of the oil. Not a lot, but you could see a separation.

Just this first batch though, the rest of the butter looks great. O just didn't wanna toss out the bottom kinda sliney portion since it was so golden so I screaped it all off and threw it in. I think I'm repeating myself, so far so great!

If you add warm water to it, recool it in the fridge, then pour off the aquatic layer and repeat this 3x it takes care of that issue.

vince514

seeker of greater knowledge
Veteran
I'm trying take a batch of butter 1 cup of sugary trim to 1ln of butter and was wondering in the final product when it's inevitably green can I use the refining method previously posted

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Yes, the water will absorb all the nasty weed taste, and also will help prevent the temperature from rising high enough to burn the oil.

Without the water, all that gag-inducing taste remains in the oil, and you will need a strong stomach to avoid getting nauseous from the horrid flavor. Pouring away the brownish green water at the end of the cook and cooling does NOT reduce potency in the slightest, and the end result is oil that bears ZERO weed taste, yet is potent enough to knock a buffalo over.

You can even purify further by reheating with fresh water until the water stays colourless.
Just taste a bit and if you do not yet like the taste, repeat the washing.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
I just converted to coconut oil. It works well and doesn't have any water in it!!!!!! I like that. In my experience the water dissolves the plant matter and if you don't like the taste you need to do the multiple rinse thing to get rid of the 'green' taste.

When I was using butter I learned to clarify it before adding the canna. Partially to get rid of the 'dairy' component (for the lactose intolerant among us), the second reason was to get rid of all the water in the butter.....

The oils act as a solvent to the cannabinoids and tHc, but do not tend to dissolve the chlorophyll, as much. Additionally the Coconut oil is very close to butter regards solid vs. liquid. A positive attribute when making cookies.

I just wanted it to be as simple as possible. So Coconut it is.

Me Like Cookies!!!:woohoo:

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Coconut has a higher flash point than butter/Ghee. So no worries about the temps., although at the 180-200 F that I use, neither one is an issue.

I do use the oven for the 'cook', as it maintains the temperature more consistently.

And a potato ricer to extract the oil. Currently Looking at building a hydraulic ram for the extraction however.

Stan G.

I just converted to coconut oil. It works well and doesn't have any water in it!!!!!! I like that. In my experience the water dissolves the plant matter and if you don't like the taste you need to do the multiple rinse thing to get rid of the 'green' taste.

When I was using butter I learned to clarify it before adding the canna. Partially to get rid of the 'dairy' component (for the lactose intolerant among us), the second reason was to get rid of all the water in the butter.....

The oils act as a solvent to the cannabinoids and tHc, but do not tend to dissolve the chlorophyll, as much. Additionally the Coconut oil is very close to butter regards solid vs. liquid. A positive attribute when making cookies.

I just wanted it to be as simple as possible. So Coconut it is.

Me Like Cookies!!!:woohoo:
I love this recipe with coconut oil! Me like cookies!, as well.:tiphat:

ODF

I did it. Again. Ate one cookie and waited. Took a second one and waited. Took a third one and found myself in the kitchen, barely able to make it to my bedroom. Take it easy people!

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
Some time in the next few weeks I'm gunna make me some cannabutter. then make some chocolate fudge cookies or fudge brownies or fudge muffins. I cant wait to make it.

I've made this before like 8-10 years ago.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I mixed coco oil with butter, about half and half, it was WAY stronger! I have a huge tolerance and I was floored!

Hey T. soon i'll be making some pot chocolate treats. I too have a high tolerance and wanna be floored too. so what do you think it was about the half coco oil to half butter that made it stronger?
And what kind of treat did you make?

So if you don't mind telling me your recipe that would help me out a lot.

Thanks, Cheesebuds.