What's new

Cannabutter: Awesome? or Waste of Green?

jenapae

So, quite a few months ago a good friend of mine introduced me to cannabutter.
We've made it a few times since and, while it tastes great, it kinda makes me sad to throw away all of that green afterwards!

I've only had two experiences baking with it myself. I've made Berry Cobbler (using the butter for the shortbread) and White Chocolate Chip Canna Cookies (by the way, if you haven't done this. do it. the flavors of white chocolate and bud go amazingly together! they're so hard to sop eating!)
While these two desserts tasted great, I'm not too sure of the potency. Granted, we were smoking while eating. But, I didn't feel any difference like I thought I would.
Perhaps it was the recipe. I'm not too sure of the proportions we used. I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to weights and measurements, I just never got the hang of it.

So. What I want to know is...

What are your experiences with cannabutter? Best recipes? Have you ever tried making anything other than a dessert? What proportions do you use butter:marijuana? How long do you let it boil for?
Any information is good information!

Last edited:

cocktail frank

Ubiquitous
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cannabutter is way better than smoking, any day of the week.
as long as you dont have anything important to do, you will be stuck to the couch for the better part of 4-5 hours.
i mix an oz. of bud or trim per 2 stix of butter. butter is way stronger w/ buds.
i simmer the mix for a MINIMUM of 4 hours.
go buy an 11 oz package of choco chips.
it will have a recipe on the back, thats what i use.
ill also buy a bag of peanut butter chips for the mix.
the PB really kills that "green taste"
i'll get around 70-75 decent size cookies per oz of bud.
1 cookie gets me really high (like you smoked way too much if there is such a thing :D )
but 2 cookies fucks me up real good.
some people mix 1 oz per stick, but that butter is way too powerful for most.

i'm assuming if you didnt get high last time, you might have done something wrong.
make sure you dont burn the butter when your SIMMERING it, it will kill the thc (i think)
read the thread in the cooking forums "cannabutter in 7 easy steps"
my life has been better since i realized there is so much more you can do w/ bud besides smoking it.
i.e. butter, iso, bho , bubble
in my opinion, smoking is the bottom of the food chain.

T-type

Has anyone been sucsessfull using mid-grade weed....
I never am, only when i make it with what i grew myself that has pretty good potency.
But i ate them and had to crawl from my couch to my bed for an 8 hour midday nap, when i made them with my shit.

aligee

Veteran
Yeah there'z really no comparison of high from eating cannabis to smoking it .i made some butter years ago while in college and i can honestly say i felt i nearly OD lol! Thats my experience ive made some since but that first time was amazing to top it off i used a 1/4 lb. Of swag !!!!!

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Cant help ya on the cannbutter, dont really use it that way...Im just a low life smoker according to frank :tongue: just teasin ya frank, how we all use it is an individual choice, no right or wrong :D
Happy Birthday jena!! hope your havin a stoney day!!! :D

Last edited:

blisstonian

Ingesting pot is a waste for me. I have ate Fran Vancouvers and my own goods made with butter that floored most. I wish I knew why my body doesn't take to the butter or milk.

My life partner is the same way. We have ate ounces of pot only to smoke the whole time to feel high. Trust me. I want to eat butter and drool, but alas it's not to be.

FF

Just get really cheap weed in bulk. The quality of the green going into butter doesn't matter so use the cheapest deal you can find. Buying in bulk also helps reduce the price.

I love having a thing of butter around for toast in the morning or for baking or whatever. Definitely not a waste.

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
pizzavixen said:
Just get really cheap weed in bulk. The quality of the green going into butter doesn't matter so use the cheapest deal you can find. Buying in bulk also helps reduce the price.
I agree. I buy bulk shake from Mexi brick by the QP or more. Last time it was just given to me- over 5 zips of stemless, deseeded shake from the bottom of some weight.
I use it because it is consistent and predictable, and I make the same recipe (caramels) every time, so I always know what the dosage should be. I aim for 2g shake per tablespoon butter, and find that the equivalent of 0.3g of the original shake (calculated by the amount of butter used, the total weight of the batch, and the weight of the individual pieces) will be a good moderate dose for someone of my general weight and tolerance.

For me , if you work with schwagg, you get schwagg desserts. I use medium-high quality A+++ or low quality headies and they do the job perfectly. Slam 1.5-2 tbsp of budder on a piece of toast b4 work. Add jam to cover the smell on your breath and drive to work while eating =). 1hr in or 1.5hrs in I start feeling lovely and smiley. I usually also wake and bake to kick it off just right. When I start coming down from smoking, the budder hits me and I start going back up. They are much different types of high from the same thing. Also, the slower and less heat you use, the better the end result. Do not under any circumstance burn your budder. Then you get awful knockout treats that feel like someone punched you in the head rather than feeling lovely, warm, and smiley. Enjoy your treats!

Stay munchin,
SC

DrLongbottom

Veteran
Here is my recipe.....Get one Kneehigh nylon stocking....and stuff as much cannabis as you can in there buds are best and yes ...what you put in is what you get out....tie a knot in the stocking and put it into a big saucepot full of boiling h2o add 2lbs of butter and boil for 6-8 hours adding water as it evaporates. when done pull out the stocking
"teabag" and thouroughly squeeze out all of the remaining liquid back into the saucepot....into the fridge overnight....then just skim the butter off of the top....if your not getting high with this recipe...your either using to little or of to low of quality to feel the very real and pyschoactive effects of cannabutter. peace DLB

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
SoulCoughing said:
For me , if you work with schwagg, you get schwagg desserts.
You should try doing a 'wash' step on your butter extraction to get the schwagginess out. I run at least 3 washes on my green butter- called 'liquid-liquid extraction' in nerd land (where I live)- to put most of the contaminants in the aqueous phase and all the resins inthe lipid phase. The benefits of this are a pale pistachio green, sweet-smelling, gentle tasting product that won't scorch in recipes that call for higher temps, and takes FAR longer to go rancid in storage, as it has no plant residue to rot.
Works wonders and saves money!

Milano

I haven't ever done any cannabutter but I have once drank hot chocolate and it was great! It was really nice that the high reached me after two hours of drinking the hot chocolate and it lasted so long. I can imagine that cannabutter works in a same way. Can't wait to try it! :)

OGSensi

I am not a fan of Cannabutter, cannaoil, cannapesto, etc. Too long, too strong, to hard to predict, IMO. And different . . .

I am, however, a big fan of Cannatincture and the Green Dragon! Mostly tincture though. Most like medicine, and you can take it on a plane, you can take it on a train! Also a lot is absorbed sublingually, so you have the instant gratification like with smoking.

Don't women in JA drink tea made with Milk?

stinkyattic

her dankness
Veteran
OGSensi said:
I am, however, a big fan of Cannatincture and the Green Dragon! Mostly tincture though. Most like medicine, and you can take it on a plane, you can take it on a train! .
Can you take it in a box?
Can you take it with a fox?

Hahahaha.. Sam I Am was my favorite children's book as a tot.

I as well LOVE cooking with cannabudder. I use it for different situations than everyday smoke though. I took my cookies on a plane a few weeks ago. Stook right in front of the TSA in line while we were munchin. Ate them on the plane as well.

My cookies take about 2 hours to feel the peaked effect. I would not reccomend smoking while you wait. Once working.... they keep you good and high for at least 5 hours or so. We smoke a little after it levels out. Very different feeling high than smoke. The budder gives you more of a body buzz imo. Kinda like taking a mild muscle relaxer, having a glass a wine, and smoking a nice fat bowl all at once. So be careful anyone who has not used before on the amount you eat at first. I usually start with one cookie and wait 2 hours. Most my cookies are made so that 2 will mess you us nicely. That way you can have more that one cookie. :canabis:

Many years ago Dr.Bud got overly anxious and pigged out on my cookies as soon as they were done. I believe he ate 6. He sat there with tears on his face and a smile. I had to send him to bed because I was affraid he was gonna drool on everthing... lol

Unionman

hahaha I used one of thoes huge pots about 18in tall and 12in round stuffed full of trim and leaf for 2 sticks of butter very potent! long time ago took a plate of like 50 cookies everyone had about 2. Well that was the first party I was at there were NO fight whatsoever. Good times

Unionman said:
hahaha I used one of thoes huge pots about 18in tall and 12in round stuffed full of trim and leaf for 2 sticks of butter very potent! long time ago took a plate of like 50 cookies everyone had about 2. Well that was the first party I was at there were NO fight whatsoever. Good times

Good to hear. Cannacookies will mellow out the world. Just simply puts everyone in a better space. Hope your friends use them more often after that experience. :smoker:

Bayousblue

C.A.R.E Collective in San diego is my life line of MMJ and goodies. The guy I got to meet was so sweet and kind I told him I wanted the CannaButter. I calso asked for anything I could eat (cookies ect) or rub into the skin with canna in it .... I don't always have the time to light up. By next week I get to try CannaButter I am so excited!!

Last edited:
S

SmokeToLive

It depends. I have digestive problems, so it doesn't work well for me. (It actually causes me more pain.)