What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis-related VT News Stories

vtgirl

LG's the last three people I've met that have come to Burlington that are going to get into the regulated sales all of said they've got to spend $50,000 to be considered to go into a pool to decide who they're going to let do business let me guess Shane Lynn's going to have all of his buddies installed in replace of anyone that came from a small business trying to get ahead let's see how things go. I met one of these individuals who owns a million-dollar condominium that he has overlooking a popular space downtown renting it out Air B&B tax free in the same individual goes down to Chittenden valley economic services to get emergency funds for f****** utilities these are the these are the kind of people I'm talking about

yardgrazer

LG's the last three people I've met that have come to Burlington that are going to get into the regulated sales all of said they've got to spend $50,000 to be considered to go into a pool to decide who they're going to let do business let me guess Shane Lynn's going to have all of his buddies installed in replace of anyone that came from a small business trying to get ahead let's see how things go. I met one of these individuals who owns a million-dollar condominium that he has overlooking a popular space downtown renting it out Air B&B tax free in the same individual goes down to Chittenden valley economic services to get emergency funds for f****** utilities these are the these are the kind of people I'm talking about

I take it "LG" is local government? Just to make sure I understand, you're talking about spending $50k to potentially get approval for the city council or something? I don't doubt local governments may see dollar signs, but I was under the impression this was a scenario the CCB was hoping to avoid? Or maybe that's showing you have the funding to support a retail shop while it gets off the ground, which would seem more reasonable, if annoying.

TBH, if they go with the second proposed fee schedule (i.e. the cheaper one) I would still expect $50k as a semi-realistic start up amount for a retail shop in a less expensive town. I'm thinking $5k just for the license fee, then add in a suitable space, built out to have secure storage, etc, signage, probably mega insurance costs, acquisition of initial stock, and more. They say you don't need a lawyer to apply but you'll probably need a lawyer for various things (contracts, compliance). Et cetera, et cetera.

PS: I looked up Shane Lynn, I sorta get it now (wow, what a sleaze, the last bit in his Ceres bio about CPCS isn't a meaningful statement he's just trying to make himself sound important). Regardless of whatever else happens I expect corps like Ceres are going to dominate the market in VT within a few years. That's if there isn't national legalization, which would mean even larger corporations.

yardgrazer

I missed an article from December saying Rockingham will have ballot questions (one on retail, one on integrated licensees). Hartford will have questions. Also Rutland Town and Proctor. VGA says they expect St Albans Town, Manchester, Bristol, Eden, and Milton to have questions. There may be others that haven't been reported yet.

yardgrazer

Heady Vermont has a map up with info about towns that have opted-in to retail sales, or will be voting on the issue next month. Two that stood out that haven't been mentioned elsewhere: Woodstock and Putney will be voting on TMD 2022.

yardgrazer

Interested in what sense? I'm more than a bit skeptical about the state's plan to lure people away from the unregulated market, I reckon those people are already making money without a ton of overhead and fees and inspections and testing and whatnot. Still, I bet there'll be local legal grow ops galore. Local people who want to buy? I do know some, actually, people who make special trips every now and again to buy some gummies or whatnot to help 'em sleep. Mostly professionals with kids who aren't likely to grow or associate with people who do. The older people I know most likely all know someone growing gobs of legal outdoor just for shits and giggles. This feels like a good idea that's going to turn into the same shit everyone else has, lame corporate flower. They really need to make the Tier 1 outdoor licenses super easy to get (I'm a little confused by the scheme the house has approved, sounds like maybe $750 per year + a one time $1000 application fee - getting expensive from the get go if that's the plan).

ion

yah, interested in the sense of going that route. there'll be plenty i'm sure but the best crafters aint gonna go for it. completely onboard with your POV.....

just posted this earlier on the Hosting a VT Cannabis Cup/Gene Trading Events thread;

Soooo many badass craft growers here in VT, the legal dogs will do their thing, the grey mrkt will dominate from the wings. all the dispensaries are owned by canadian corp, they will have no size limits and a 10yr headstart on the retail side.......almost as if they are creating the legal retail to fail on purpose. which is fine, stick your corporate in your bum.

radioman

Town Meeting Day is tomorrow March 1 - I guess my Town/City is voting on allowing dispensaries to open in City Limits. Lots of times, I miss Town Meeting Day & I almost did again this year. However, I changed my "Vacation Plans" this year to a later date. So I will be voting Yes, of course. I don't know where all the weed will be coming from. They plan on Dispensaries to be allowed to open October 1st. They better start growing. I have sort of changed my views lately - I now believe that Cannabis from other legal states & countries should be allowed to sell organically grown weed in Vermont...

yardgrazer

Your town didn't send out absentee ballots? Mine did. We also had an opt-in question on the ballot. Totally unclear whether it will pass or not.

Existing medical dispensaries can start adult-use sales May 1st, for people interested in such things.

yardgrazer

Early reports from Southern VT: Opt-In votes passed in Rockingham, Stratton, Wilmington, and Putney.

43 communities held opt-in votes today.

ETA: The Digger has a map with results from yesterday's vote, though it's missing results from some towns that had ballot questions, I'm counting 27 communities that opted in and 7 that did not.

Last edited:

yardgrazer

Retail sales can start at the existing med dispensaries on May 1st (next Sunday).

The Control Board chair indicated it was unlikely they'd be ready to issue any cultivation licenses by May 1st (they can begin issuing Tier 1 licenses then).

yardgrazer

Actually, I must've misunderstood something, because various news sources are reporting that none of the med dispensaries have applied for integrated licenses, with the implication that that means they can't start selling tomorrow. I dunno, I'm confused (but also don't really care, got plenty of my own herb).

Latest posts

Latest posts