What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis Prices & The Coming Devaluation of the Dollar

bobblehead

Veteran
So ....

what should we all do with the million US dollars we all have buried in our backyards?

I know - can goods and guns. But what else can be done to protect ones current paper wealth with no real means to buy substantial land for self sustaining once shit hits the fan.

backpacks and pocket knives?

-

Buy nickels. My understanding is that the metal the nickel is made from is worth $0.07... :)

whodare

Veteran
Relative to the rest of the world, we're doing just fine... When our stock market crashed in 2007, the rest of the world followed. We are all so interconnected in today's global economy... it's not as simple as the dollar collapsing and the yuan or euro taking over.

it could be though if said country was willing to take the financial hit of the destruction of the dollar...

statusquo

:laughing:
If silver cost $27.00 only 2 weeks ago, and now it's $37.00 an ounce, your dollar can only buy a % of what it did before. You just lost approx. 30% of your purchasing power, in relation to silver. If gold was $1000 an ounce only 1 year ago, and now it's $1400 an ounce, you have lost approx. 25% of your buying power in relation gold.

If a dozen eggs cost $2.00 10 years ago, and now it's $4.00, you lost approx 50% of your buying power.

If gasoline cost $.30 cents more today than it did 2 weeks ago, and gas is approx. $3.00 a gallon, and now it's $3.30, can you tell me where your dollar went? 10% is missing, buddy! Where did it go? Maybe you should ask your college educated friends.

So you assert the federal Reserve can print Trillions of dollars, or extend trillions in credit for bailouts, and the cost of goods and services are skyrocketing, but somehow the dollar is not losing value, because YOU TOOK and ECONOMICS CLASS IN COLLEGE?????

Go smoke another one, buddy. And go back to sleep. You are obviously in your own little world.

This is not how things work. Material goods' value doesn't come solely from inflation. Holding inflation equal, the price of any good could go up for a number of a reason and we wouldn't say that our currency is being devalued. What if the price of eggs went up because the biggest chicken egg farm had a huge disease and they lost 75% of their yields? This would result in the price going up even if there wasn't inflation.

Also, you need to pull back the reigns there tyco. Bubble merely claimed that he has taken some classes, not that he is the end-all be all or that he is the supreme leader of economic knowledge. There is nothing wrong with stating your credentials, however minor. At least then we have some context in regards to where this information is coming from. Saying things like "if you read my post"...obviously he read your post. Just because there is a disagreement or you were unable to clearly convey what you were trying to doesn't mean someone didn't read the post. Also, he is right in regards to all currency losing value. Remember, he didn't say that the dollar was struggling.

I agree with guys on the first page; pot might increase slightly but to say that it will go from 3-6K is just ridiculous. First of all, this is a black market. It is not subject to the exact same rules as a normal market. Second of all, you can only set the price as high as people will pay. People will not pay that much even with significant inflation. Lastly, it is a luxury good. If anything it's the suppliers that will take a 'hit' (if you don't think they are already selling their wares for way too much, which I think they are)

Edit: upon reading more of the thread it's now clear that most people understand bobble's original points and that other people pointed out that medicalgreen has a deeply flawed understanding of economics. There is nothing wrong with that but you just need to tone it down a bit and do a bit more research. Good topic though and good thread.

Oil will go to $200 a barrel. The US will default on it's debt. The Arab Oil producers will demand the backing by Gold Currency. The US will restructure it's dollar, and it will be revalued at a % of what it's worth currently.

When Gold is $4000 an ounce, and silver is $200 an Ounce, and gasoline is $12.00 a gallon......and a carton of eggs is $15.00, and a bottle of milk, $15.00......what will cannabis cost?

That's the question, here.

Cannabis production is going up, granted.
The cost of all goods will be HIGHER. That means that goods produced will cost more, including, cannabis, I would imagine.

Granted, people will still be growing it, but how many people will be able to afford to live in a home, pay their $7000 electric bill, and pay for $300 Gallon for nutrients?

Personally, I think that less people will be able to afford cannabis, and people will HAVE TO sell it for a higher price, if they grow it, just to stay alive, in a country overrun by hyperinflation.

I'm saying, I think that gold, silver, food, and cannabis, will all go higher, and will all be worthwhile to be involved in, if the shit hits the fan.

Manitoid

So deliberately causing inflation by printing more money every time we "need more" is not a MAJOR EVENT?

happened to yugoslavia in recent history:

Yugoslavia went through a period of hyperinflation and subsequent currency reforms from 1989-1994. The highest denomination in 1988 was 50,000 dinars. By 1989 it was 2,000,000 dinars. In the 1990 currency reform, 1 new dinar was exchanged for 10,000 old dinars. In the 1992 currency reform, 1 new dinar was exchanged for 10 old dinars. The highest denomination in 1992 was 50,000 dinars. By 1993, it was 10,000,000,000 dinars. In the 1993 currency reform, 1 new dinar was exchanged for 1,000,000 old dinars. However, before the year was over, the highest denomination was 500,000,000,000 dinars. In the 1994 currency reform, 1 new dinar was exchanged for 1,000,000,000 old dinars. In another currency reform a month later, 1 novi dinar was exchanged for 13 million dinars (1 novi dinar = 1 German mark at the time of exchange). The overall impact of hyperinflation: 1 novi dinar = 1 × 1027~1.3 × 1027 pre 1990 dinars. Yugoslavia's rate of inflation hit 5 × 1015 percent cumulative inflation over the time period 1 October 1993 and 24 January 1994.

draztik

Veteran
So ....

what should we all do with the million US dollars we all have buried in our backyards?

I know - can goods and guns. But what else can be done to protect ones current paper wealth with no real means to buy substantial land for self sustaining once shit hits the fan.

backpacks and pocket knives?

-

i keep thinking this too..when i look at all these bundles..ive done all this work for some fucking paper that could be utterly worthless in a few days...

so i got in on the bulk ammo prices....you can buy 1k of .223 for 300 bucks...i have stockpiles in .40, .22, .223, .308 and .45...im buying .45 ACP and 9mm now and i dont even own a .45 lol.....i know guys on the gun forums who have tens of thousands of dollars worth of ammo stocked up....and i have a good 500 dollars worth of canned food and water stored away too....equipment is good too....its like re-investing in a business...buy stuff that you can use in case the dollar hits the shitter..

there mite be a time in our future when ammo and canned food are the currency...who the fuck knows!

The only way to protect your wealth is to take your paper money and buy physical gold and silver. Buy gold and silver American eagle's, buy gold and silver Canadian maple leafs however you can get it. Go to your local coin shop and exercise your right to trade precious metals privately! You can buy as much physical gold and silver as you want and you don't have to pay any tax or report it to the government as long as you use cash. All you are doing is trading your paper fiat dollars for precious metals that are worth the same anywhere on planet earth! It's a hedge against inflation. As prices rise so will the buying power of your precious metals. The higher prices your going to be paying for gas and food ect. will be offset by holding precious metals. If you think gold hitting an all time high this week is amazing you haven't seen anything yet. Silver keeps breaking it's 31 year high weekly. Silver @$36 is a bargain. I have so much knowledge on the subject of precious metals it would take me hours to explain. If your interested and want more info I'm willing to help. Think about it like this if you had 500oz of silver which you could have bought for under $15,000 a month ago you would have cleared close to $5000 profit. If your worried about being able to sell your precious metals and are worried about taking a loss if you have to sell. The market is so tight right now major coin dealers online are buying eagle and other bullion coins for above spot. I have a lot of inside info on silver. Like I said if you want to know more just ask. Through out history gold and silver have always revalued themselves against the money supply. And they just added a whole bunch of zeros to that number! History repeats.

M

Milhouse

I am going to play devils advocate here for a second...Does ANYONE out there think that this recent spike in gold and silver prices is just a bubble? I mean those currency markets are just like every other market on the planet in that they can be artificially inflated! I mean the price of gold has climbed over 500% in the last 10 years, silver is up like 900% in the past 10 years. That is not sustainable growth! Just like everyone thought that investing in a house was a great investment and that houses would never lose value! I would be very leery of jumping in on that market now! You might be able to make a quick buck, then by all means go for it, but history tends to show that the market will make a correction. Even gold and silver have had their bubbles burst in the past!

Draztik - I would love to hear more from you if you have experience in this background. I appreciate you are able to come into a discussion in which you probably do have more knowledge on a particular subject than most. Yet you are still able to present your facts, not be an ass to members that dont share your pt of view, and even offer to explain in further detail if need be.

whodare

Veteran
precious metals are never a bubble...

when they start rising dramatically your watching the fall of that currency...

G

guest456mpy

Milhouse, Here's something my "farmer" grandfather said to me nearly 50 years ago when I was a young man.

Never invest any money that you would be willing to lose in any "market". The risk is inherent in all markets, All are just waiting for the right conditions. Markets have been manipulated since the beginning of "free enterprise" make no mistake of it. Choose wisely or lose, it always a gamble.

Things are no different today.

M

Milhouse

Whodare - Look at the gold markets in late 70's into 1980. The gold price jump over 250% in one year, that is most definitely a bubble and it burst quickly!

Hempyguy - I like that quote and agree with it! I cant continue to read on here about everyone telling everyone to BUY BUY BUY without anyone talking about the bubble possibility.

M

Milhouse

One aspect of this whole situation is getting overlooked which is actually helps disprove the bubble theory. When a market is experiencing a bubble effect, the average dumb public is usually buying, buying, buying, which in turns increases demand and drives the price of that good up. It happened in the Dot Com Crash, It happened in the housing market, and I am sure it has happened elsewhere. With this situation though, the average dumb public is selling selling selling. Nowadays, you see more Cash 4 Gold ads, gold selling parties, etc.

This is one point that I think that brings up some interesting points.

M

Milhouse

silver_all_data_o_usd.png

Attached is a graph of the historical price of silver for the past 35 years or so. As you can see there have been a few drastic swings in this market also

whodare

Veteran
silver is considered an industrial metal, it's used in circut boards, something that was just coming sround in the 80's

and in reponse to the 70's gold bubble i believe that was in response to us "losing" the vietnam war...

the problem now is that we are printing billions of dollars a day and people are losing faith in the currency.

bobblehead

Veteran
does anyone know about the collapse of the Argentine economy in 2001? The Argentine peso was pegged to the dollar... This led to hyperinflation, the economy collapsed, they defaulted on their debts, restructured... And they're on the rebound. I was there in 2000, left in 2001 just as the shit was hitting the fan. I was just back in 2009... and they're doing pretty well for themselves...

All this post apocalyptic depression era bullshit is just that, bullshit. There will be more chaos, absolutely, but it won't be the end of the world, or even the country.

draztik

Veteran
In 1980 the Hunt brothers cornered the silver market and drove the price of silver to $50 an ounce. They did this by purchasing all the physical silver that was available for investment. In 1980 the only industry that was using silver in large quantities was the photography industry and the emerging electronics industry. But the demand for silver for industrial applications back then was a fraction of what it is now. Flash back to 2011 and the demand for silver for industrial applications is at an all time high. But the demand is greater than the supply. The demand from the industrial sector for silver is greater than what is being mined. So that only leaves a small amount of physical silver available for investment. And what is available is owned by the ETF's and those who understand what is happening. There's about 1 billion ounces of silver for investment. It's almost gone. Now that you know there's no more silver let go back to the all time high of $50 in 1980.
In 1980 a movie ticket cost $2.50, a gallon of gas cost $1.25. You have to account for inflation. The all time high of $50/oz silver adjusted for inflation would be $138/oz today. So silver is way below the high it hit in 1980. Oh and in 1980 we didn't have a 14 trillion dollar debt, we didnt have a trillion dollar derivatives bubble, there weren't any bailouts of the car companies, there weren't any banker bailouts and there also wasn't a proven 100 to 1 paper manipulation of the silver spot price.

draztik

Veteran
Gold and Silver trade in lock step. The historical ratio of silver to gold is 16:1. Watch over the next few months as silver returns to its historical ratio to gold. If you think these gold and silver prices are high now your gonna wish you were buying @$36 and $1430. LOL

M

Milhouse

That is very interesting Draztik! I am glad you decided to chime in on this conversation. I have never heard of the 6:1 comparison but that will be something interesting to watch. I will pose this question to you though, with that 6:1 rule, what is saying that gold wont drop in value to realign with silver. Just curious to your thoughts.

silver_all_data_o_usd.png

Attached is a graph of the historical price of silver for the past 35 years or so. As you can see there have been a few drastic swings in this market also

This happened only once. When the Hunt brothers decided to try to corner the silver market. That's why it spiked and then declined.

Other than that, it has just risen.

does anyone know about the collapse of the Argentine economy in 2001? The Argentine peso was pegged to the dollar... This led to hyperinflation, the economy collapsed, they defaulted on their debts, restructured... And they're on the rebound. I was there in 2000, left in 2001 just as the shit was hitting the fan. I was just back in 2009... and they're doing pretty well for themselves...

All this post apocalyptic depression era bullshit is just that, bullshit. There will be more chaos, absolutely, but it won't be the end of the world, or even the country.

I never said it would be the end of the world, or the economy, so why negate everything, because you have a degree? Argentina is a perfect example of this. Thank you for adding that. Other than that, you sound like a government apologist.