What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Announcement Cannabis Growing Forum Layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Hello everybody.

Hope you're all good.

As previously mentioned, we're trying to work out a way to better organise the forums on ICMag. The main reasons for this are to help cut down on the number of nodes we need to manage, to encourage people to post new threads and to make it easier for newer members to find their way around.

As a regular member of ICMag, I am sure that you are very familiar with our odd hodge podge of forums. However, to a casual or a new member who just arrived via a search, it was a mess. So in this phase of our upgrade, we will try to sort this out by shuffling some things around to better organize the forum. Don’t worry – nothing has been removed or deleted!

The biggest change in our main growing area is a new section called Growing Cannabis. This is where you will find all of the familiar growing sub forums – Soil, Organic, Coco, Indoor, Outdoor etc. So light up a big fat one and poke around and enjoy! Who knows what you will find . . .

To help you find your way around you can take a look at the node map attached to this thread. Hopefully it will all make sense with no need for it but it's there just in case.

Attachments

• site2.jpg
    site2.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
WOW ! The power of the red smiley !

Auto section should be 6 folders deeper from main menu ... to make us dig it. :ROFLMAO:

It's not especially against you @StevenHXF but objectively fact is that Icmag is hiding autoflower section in 2022 while other websites are dedicated to ... :headbange

Kind of cherry on top considering that the form as to be worked as much as the substance.

StevenHXF

Administrator
Seeing the angry red smiley makes me sad :ROFLMAO:

I do see what you're saying but we've also had positive feedback about the layout changes and we did think hard about the changes. What I'd like to do is to leave things as they are for a while to see what people think and how it affects the discovery of that sub.

We do also have some big plans in the medium term which might make it a non-issue.

Please bear with it @The_Skunkist 🙏

StevenHXF

Administrator
@The_Skunkist

I didn't ask but where do you suggest we move Auto Flowering? And if we do move it where do the other subs in Cannabis Strains and Breeding move to? And if we do move all the subs what happens to the parent Cannabis Strains and Breeding forum?

Fully open to suggestions and constructive feedback from anyone but the original point of moving things around was valid, there were too many nodes on the homepage so just having everything in one big list isn't an option.

Let's work things out. (y)

The_Skunkist

~~ Auto Ninja ~~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
That's secondary in a way.

Let's be pragmatic . Why not VERY CLEAR ( and applied ) Terms of use before Introduce yourself ?

ETC ETC ETC

StevenHXF

Administrator
Last edited:

bibi40

Hi @StevenHXF !

the new layout is great and more intuitive , but i think the autoflower deserved a section for his own , it' s not only about strains and breeding , a lot of grow diaries and other things ,
just my 2 cents ....

anyway great work on the forum ,
better day after day !

:tiphat:

bibi40

and for me Nutrients and fertilizers should be add to growrooms designs and equipment
just like
Growrooms designs ands Equipments , Nutrients and Fertilizers !

Cheers !

bibi40

and Cannabis/Hash smoke reports could migrate to Mariruana strains and breeding , more related i think ...

crimsonecho

i’m new here but gonna put my 2 shillings in

i think you can create atleast 2 sub sections under nutrients and fertilizers: organic and conventional.

also cannabis growing can be broken down to 3 main sub genres: organic, hydro, soil-soilless
and organic hydro, organic soil etc can be another sub section under organic
hydro can be broken down to rdwc, dwc etc
soil-soilless can be also broken down further as soil, peat and coco, other mediums etc.

dont know man just brainstorming

also i dont know what the site looked like before but its looking pretty nice atm, nice work steven!

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
i think you can create at least 2 sub sections under nutrients and fertilizers: organic and conventional.

The biggest issue I can see with creating new sub-forums is that there is no way to split the existing threads into their respective subs . . . so all of the historical threads would be left in the main heading. The new subs would be empty because all of the active threads are elsewhere.

One solution that would leave the structure as is, would be for new thread posters to tag future threads, which would make them easily searchable. But it would have to be tagged in the first post by the op.

crimsonecho

The biggest issue I can see with creating new sub-forums is that there is no way to split the existing threads into their respective subs . . . so all of the historical threads would be left in the main heading. The new subs would be empty because all of the active threads are elsewhere.

One solution that would leave the structure as is, would be for new thread posters to tag future threads, which would make them easily searchable. But it would have to be tagged in the first post by the op.
yeah its a tough goal for sure but possible to achieve. mod priviliges and a little bit of elbow grease could resolve the issue of the existing threads imho.

tagging is always an option of course but a nutrients and fertilizers section is too broad generally even organic and conventional is too broad but it would help in creating a more streamlined feel to it. if i was just looking for organic nutrients i can click on that section and read through it.

with tags i dont know how it works but if i write organic nutrients into the search tab i’m sure i’ll get a lot of “organic” “nutrient” results and not many “organic nutrient” in the first couple of pages.

that was my angle anyway.

crimsonecho

You can't forget that mods are unpaid - they do their thing here because they love the site. We owe them a debt of gratitude - not more work. Nutes & Ferts has 3.3K threads . . .
thats basically because there are no sub sections hahaha. yeah man i know i’ve done the moderator thing for a while and its not great, job-wise but its nice to have priviliges they have lol.

plus i really am not in charge here :) i can use it as it is or if the admin and the mods think that it is a good idea and they want to tackle that shit, they can do what they wanna do about it and its all gravy baby rofl

Status
Not open for further replies.