What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Darpa

I was a lil worried yesterday because the scion had wilted and I didn't put any type of bag over it to keep it humid. I checked in this morning and it was perked up a lot. The scion is definitely still alive.

It will recover just fine. However I strongly recommend the use of a humidity dome (of just a plastic bag) for the first few days in order to avoid excessive stress to the scion, then do a progressive acclimatation.

Keep us updated on your progress!

Darpa

BTY, the potato-Cannabis graft is still doing fine. The scion is not growing very fast but it's still in good shape. I removed the plastic wrapping few days ago. I'll post some picture soon.

Darpa

Hi everyone!

Here is some update on Experiment No 2: Auxiliary bud side graft (chip graft)

I think we can call it a success! It was probably the fastest graft to take but it is not the cleanest looking one (scar tissue) compare to the V Graft… But anyway, it’s not a plant beauty contest…

Graft day 0:

Earlier update:

And now:

Darpa

Thank Bombbudpuffa!

Here is an update on the Potato-Cannabis graft.

I wouldn't call it a success yet but the scions are still alive:

The side grafts were complete failure mostly because of the difference of texture between the scion and the potato rootstock. The potato stem is saturated with water and is way softer that the cannabis scion. The pressure exercised on the potato rootstock from the tight wrapping damaged its stem... However, I performed 2 other V-Graft just to get a better idea if it could work...

Darpa

Last one for tonight:

Update on experiment 9: Every thing is going all right. It will probably be the cleanest graft of all. Next time I'll try to graft 4 different scions on a main trunk instead of 2...

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Here's an update on my veneer/side graft. Looks like it will take just fine. I'll be doing more of these later today.

Also pictured is a failed wedge/cleft graft. I'll be attempting another of these too.

Attachments

• 2017-01-20_12.32.54.jpg
    2017-01-20_12.32.54.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 25
  • 2017-01-20_12.33.53.jpg
    2017-01-20_12.33.53.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 22
  • 2017-01-20_12.31.52.jpg
    2017-01-20_12.31.52.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 19

Darpa

Hi everybody,
Here is an update on Experiment No6: Side graft.

The 2 scion fused completely with the rootstock. It's probably one of the nicest healing so far. Is a really straight forward procedure...

Here in what it looked at day 0 (see post 119, 120 for details):

And now (sorry I was too lazy to take macro shoot):

Darpa

And now, since experiment 4 was a success (Trunk and root system fusion - post 106, 107) I decided to graft 4 more trunk for a total of 6 plants fused together. The same technique was use.

Roots base:

I did some lollipopping at the base of the plant. Then I exposed the cambium where the contact were to be made and I wrapped all trunk firmly together. I used principally LST and SupperCropping to help lower to canopy...

SuperWeed

And now, since experiment 4 was a success (Trunk and root system fusion - post 106, 107) I decided to graft 4 more trunk for a total of 6 plants fused together. The same technique was use.

Roots base:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1699940&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I did some lollipopping at the base of the plant. Then I exposed the cambium where the contact were to be made and I wrapped all trunk firmly together. I used principally LST and SupperCropping to help lower to canopy...

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1699941&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1699942&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

NEAT!

Darpa

Thanks SuperWeed and BombBudPuffa for your support!

Here is an update on the Cannabis-Potato graft experiment (Experiment No 5). The 4th initial grafts didn’t make it as expected. As stated in post 109, the potato graft experiment was intended to demonstrate that the taxonomic proximity is a general prerequisite for successful graft-take and long-term survival of the grafted, composite plant. This was intended to illustrate, in a real experiment, the effect of the phylogenetic distance between the potato plant and the cannabis plant on the graft success. (I’ve saw people saying that it was possible on some post) I already knew that the result was most likely to be negative, but this was just a way to show it to the community. Nothing is better than pictures!

The first cannabis-potato graft scions survived for about 2 weeks but died in the acclimation period. The plant material didn’t fused together. The picture bellow is a shot of the second trial graft. As you can see, it won’t definitely make it. Surprisingly hormonal imbalance appear and the scion started to produce female inflorescences without any change in the photoperiod schedule. There is maybe something to explore here…

Regarding Experiment 7: Micrografting of seed embryo on a rootstock, the seeds embryos with their seed coat removed fused with the plant but only to make an non-differentiated mass of cell from which not shoot were created… Also, because of the plant incompatibility, none of the cannabis seed embryos grafted on Potato plant survived…. Everything was discarded. This is the end of experimenting with potato plant.

Before I throw the Experiment 1 plant in the trash, I decided to do an extreme defoliation experiment. Here is what the plant looked before and after… I’m just curious to see what would be the plant hormonal response to such extreme defoliation procedure and how it will affect the growth pattern of the plant… I just hope that the potential semiochemicals effect won’t interfere with the other plant in the surrounding environment. However, if it does it would be really interesting to document the effect…

Before:

After:

Cheer and I hope you guy don’t mind too much that I torture some plants for the sake of experimentations. They were all going to trash anyway..

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Update on the veneer graft. Seems to have taken just fine. I'll let the graft union heal for another week or so then unwrap it to check on it. Looks like a success though.

Attachments

• 2017-01-27_23.03.09.jpg
    2017-01-27_23.03.09.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 2017-01-27_23.05.44.jpg
    2017-01-27_23.05.44.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2017-01-27_23.02.23.jpg
    2017-01-27_23.02.23.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 28

Darpa

Update on the veneer graft. Seems to have taken just fine. I'll let the graft union heal for another week or so then unwrap it to check on it. Looks like a success though.

Hey BombBudPuffa, this is a success for sure!!! I'm glad that you jumped in the thread to show people that grafting cannabis is not rocket science. There is just too many wrong tutorials on YouTube that make people think that it's a difficult procedure when it's not...

Darpa

I know that I said that I was over with the Cannabis-Potato experiment, but I decided to give some love to the graft for few more days. It seem that they were just needing some water. They seem way healthier than yesterday…

Yesterday:

Today:

I’m planning to keep them in the dome for few more day….

Latest posts

Latest posts