What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Darpa

Good evening everyone, Here is an update on the Potato-cannabis grafted plant: At my great surprise, the cannabis scion seem to be doing pretty well and the fusion seem to be taking over. !?!?!

Here is what the plant look like:

The experiment is just at its beginning but I decided to try 2 more potato-cannabis graft just get more sample to document.

Here is what the new grafted plant look like:

Darpa

Also, I decided to try a new unconventional experiment: Experiment No7 - Micrografting of seed embryo on a rootstock.

I know it can done with Tissue Culture technique but I wanted to try it on a grown plant. There is not much information about this, but why not giving it a shot!

So I took few seeds of a different strain I made (Biker Sapphire) and soaked them for 24 hours. The all crack open. I use some seed as an implant or a micro-scion. I did experiment with untouched seed and seeds with their seed coat surgically removed.

Here is some picture on untouched seeds and seeds without their coat:

So did is how I proceeded:

Darpa

Experiment 8: Micrografting of cannabis seeds embryos on Potato rootstock

It may be an unconventional experiment, but I decieed to push the experiment a little bit further. Since the potato-Cannabis graft is not a failure at this time, I did a micrografting experiment of cannabis seeds embryos on some potato rootstock. I know it sound realy stupid, but why not giving it a try after all… (2 different micrografting techniques were used in this experiment)

Pic:

Seeds implanted in a V-Cut on the potato rootstock:

Seeds implanted in a drilled hole:

Let me know if you are interested to see the updates on this experiment!

Darpa

Thank SuperWeed!

Here is an update on grafted plant performed less than 2 weeks ago. As you can see, grafting cannabis is probably as easy as rooting a clone and it is something that is within the reach of all…

Experiment 1 (post 83 to 86):

Day 0 and Day 14

Experiment 3 (post 100-101):

The grafted scion is growing healthy

Experiment 4: Trunk fusion (post 106-107). Two plants became one plant with a bigger trunk. It's that simple!

Darpa

Update on the Experiment No7 - Micrografting of a seed embryo on a rootstock.

Plant material is starting to grow from the seeds embryos grafted on a cannabis rootstock. (Biker sapphire seed with seed coat removed)

It is going to be an interesting experiment. If this experiment is a succes, that would mean that people could graft dozen of female seeds embryo on a single plant without growing any of the seeds independently. (May be useful from breeding project where plant number is a concern)

Here is a shot of the new growth:

SuperWeed

Update on the Experiment No7 - Micrografting of a seed embryo on a rootstock.

Plant material is starting to grow from the seeds embryos grafted on a cannabis rootstock. (Biker sapphire seed with seed coat removed)

It is going to be an interesting experiment. If this experiment is a succes, that would mean that people could graft dozen of female seeds embryo on a single plant without growing any of the seeds independently. (May be useful from breeding project where plant number is a concern)

Here is a shot of the new growth:

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1695349&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Super fucking genius. You're on my team Darpa.

Edit- what are your environmentals while the graft heals?

Second Edit - I nominate this thread to be a sticky.

Darpa

Hi SuperWeed! I'm happy that you enjoy the experiment!

You asked me what was my environmental condition while my graft were healing: I just keep them in a humidity dome for about 5 to 7 days, and then I do a progressive acclimatation to its normal environment. The dome is not expose to direct light but it get a 24h light schedule under fluoro compact. I also learned that you should not keep them too long under the dome with the graft is still wrapped in saran wrap since too much humidity can promote fungus infection...

Thank for the support my friend!

SuperWeed

Hi SuperWeed! I'm happy that you enjoy the experiment!

You asked me what was my environmental condition while my graft were healing: I just keep them in a humidity dome for about 5 to 7 days, and then I do a progressive acclimatation to its normal environment. The dome is not expose to direct light but it get a 24h light schedule under fluoro compact. I also learned that you should not keep them too long under the dome with the graft is still wrapped in saran wrap since too much humidity can promote fungus infection...

Thank for the support my friend!

Thank you for your efforts Darpa. I especially appreciate you. It's some of the cleanest, finest work I have seen. I am really impressed.

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
This is a Kurple Guerilla scion on root stock from a bag seed. I used a side graft/side veneer graft. I have some grafting tape but couldn't find it so just used darpas plastic wrap technique. The tape is just to hold the plastic in place as it kept coming undone. I'll update when it fails/takes.

Things I should've done-

1. Let the soil dry out so there is less "sap" in the root stock...this will up your chances of the scion and rootstock staying lined up correctly
2. Trimmed the root stock
3. Trimmed the scion better

With all this said I'm still confident it will take. Thanks for the inspiration darpa!

Attachments

• 2017-01-13_22.43.39.jpg
    2017-01-13_22.43.39.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 2017-01-13_22.44.52.jpg
    2017-01-13_22.44.52.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 2017-01-13_22.44.20.jpg
    2017-01-13_22.44.20.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 17

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I remember a thread.... can't remember where or even how long ago!haha it was about placing seeds in a stinging nettle plant out in the woods or field. I think they tried twice but both were failures. The nettle had hollow stems and they would just cut the top off an stick a seed n it. I believe that the OP was young. Not because of the idea! I give him props for thinking out of the box. young because I got the impression he was tip toeing around his parents property trying to grow some (looks around and whispers) weeeeeeed!

Thank you for posting Darpa. I really dig this kinda stuff. Looking forward to your updates.:tiphat:

Darpa

This is a Kurple Guerilla scion on root stock from a bag seed. I used a side graft/side veneer graft. I have some grafting tape but couldn't find it so just used darpas plastic wrap technique. The tape is just to hold the plastic in place as it kept coming undone. I'll update when it fails/takes.

Things I should've done-

1. Let the soil dry out so there is less "sap" in the root stock...this will up your chances of the scion and rootstock staying lined up correctly
2. Trimmed the root stock
3. Trimmed the scion better

With all this said I'm still confident it will take. Thanks for the inspiration darpa!

Nice work BombBudPuffa! Nice pictures. I personally don't think that the rootstock need to be trimmed since the leaves bring energy to the whole plant... however I would have cut the apex bud on your scion in order to leave only 2 small auxialiary buds and have an overall smaller scion. From experience, the smaller the scion is, the better the chance the graft will take since there won't be too much water demand (lost). This is the way I'm doing my cloning, micro-clonning that got me about 99 success rate! Thank you for jumping in BombBudPuffa and I will be looking forward for your updates. Best of luck my friend!!!!

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Nice work BombBudPuffa! Nice pictures. I personally don't think that the rootstock need to be trimmed since the leaves bring energy to the whole plant... however I would have cut the apex bud on your scion in order to leave only 2 small auxialiary buds and have an overall smaller scion. From experience, the smaller the scion is, the better the chance the graft will take since there won't be too much water demand (lost). This is the way I'm doing my cloning, micro-clonning that got me about 99 success rate! Thank you for jumping in BombBudPuffa and I will be looking forward for your updates. Best of luck my friend!!!!

Thanks for the advice! I'll make sure and use it on my next attempt(s). This is a really great thread. Glad you started it.

Darpa

Experiment 9: Grafting 2 scions from different strains on a fast growing strain rootstock on which all the branche were removed - Direct scion to main trunk... (This one is pretty straight forward)

So here we go with the pictures:

Rootstock plant trunk cut up about 1.5 inch above ground

Insertion of 2 scion in the V-Cut. (Very important: the the cambium of the scion should be aligned with the cambium on the rootstock)

Binding everything together with saran wrap... ready for the healing process in the dome (5 to 7 days)

SuperWeed

Experiment 9: Grafting 2 scions from different strains on a fast growing strain rootstock on which all the branche were removed - Direct scion to main trunk... (This one is pretty straight forward)

So here we go with the pictures:

Rootstock plant trunk cut up about 1.5 inch above ground

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1695657&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Insertion of 2 scion in the V-Cut. (Very important: the the cambium of the scion should be aligned with the cambium on the rootstock)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1695658&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Binding everything together with saran wrap... ready for the healing process in the dome (5 to 7 days)

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=70944&pictureid=1695659&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

LOVE IT!

BombBudPuffa

Veteran
Day 3

Day 3

I was a lil worried yesterday because the scion had wilted and I didn't put any type of bag over it to keep it humid. I checked in this morning and it was perked up a lot. The scion is definitely still alive.

Attachments

• 2017-01-17_11.34.13.jpg
    2017-01-17_11.34.13.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 29
  • 2017-01-17_11.33.42.jpg
    2017-01-17_11.33.42.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 24

Latest posts

Latest posts