What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cannabis grafting

Pédetoddy

Thanks Darpa

They are in humidity inside in a refrigerator 21°C with led lamps. I have some old graft and they are living.

Pédetoddy

picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=82112&pictureid=2003994
successfully Frisian Duck in Purple Haze x malawi grafting. let's see how it grows side by side with a normal clone. i believe sativa roots provide more vigor.

Darpa

Update on the 3 seedling graft (Post 331, 332, 335, 336, 343 & 350)

Plant before watering…

Trunk fusion:

Darpa

Darpa

This is great DARPA! How long did it take from beginning to a state of “fused”? I can imagine intentionally stretching seedlings in order to fuse more and more easily.

Awesome thread man.

Cheers
F2F

Hi F2F,
The trunk fusion could be performed in 3 weeks..However, I din't check at every week since this is just a side project that I document here…. But I would assume that the use of streaching seedling, with more cambium surface contact, would perform faster….

Cheer

Darpa

zif

Veteran
Why would a grower still make clones if the can use seed root stock and crafting ?

Seedling rootstock adds another variable - if you need extremely uniform production, clones may be more consistent.

For the home grower, though, grafting is the more useful tech.

zif

Veteran
I think you'd be hard pressed to find much difference in the flowers.

Plant performance could easily be different, though. Especially size and yield.

Darpa

ZIF is right!

Clonning and grafting techniques serve different purposes:

Clonning is to preserve an original specimen.

Grafting is mostly for a genetic preservation library method...on a single plant…

or for growing different seedling or cultivars on a single plant for genetic selection purpose or plant limitation count,

Cheer

Darpa

Darpa

Hi friends,
UPDATE ON POST 383:(Update on the 3 seedling graft (Post 331, 332, 335, 336, 343 & 350))

Since 2 of the 3 seedling used in the 3 seedling graft experiment showed as male, I decided to take action.

Since theses male where from a new cross I just made last year (( FaceOffxWTC male scion that I used to polinate the BikerKush x (Original Glue4(GSC x TrainWreck))) that weren't tester. Therefore they won't use at this time in my breedeing project since I only use proven male from selection)

Here is the plant:

Next...

Darpa

GFAFICS WARNING:
Torture time for the sake of science only... (in reference to Tony Green's tortured seeds, Awesome guy, awesome breeder, cheer him up)

Chop time:

The Survival, before a new trim in one Week,,,

But at the end, everything is recycled for further project (cold - freeze storage)

Cheer

Darpa

zif

Veteran
An unusual failure...

An unusual failure...

Most wedge grafts fail within a few days. You’ll know, because the scion just wilts and dries up.

This graft seemed to take, but then turned south:
picture.php

I took a picture every day, from the initial graft until I was fairly sure the scion was toast. The last two days show tape on and off.

You can that the scion is losing moisture as it immediately flops, but then that it is getting water again as it stands back up.

The problem is the copious callus forming in the “V” of the graft. I think it’s a response to a bacterial blight of some kind - the callus and scion tissue later developed spreading brown patches of necrotic tissue. It’s just starting to be visible on the final pic or two, where the tape is slipped off for more detail.

If you see this kind of callus, pay attention!

Breadwizard

I was set to do another graft on my mother of many flowers, so I thought I'd get some shots of my process if anyone was interested.
Here's my scion ready to graft. To prep, I topped the plant and let the side shoots grow a few days before cutting. The part for grafting is cut into a wedge.
picture.php

The recieving branch is about the same diameter, with a single slit cut into it, approximately the same length as the wedge cut into the scion. Try your best to line up the cambium layer of the scion and rootstock.
picture.php

Wrapped tightly with para-film and finished.
picture.php

The last step is to wrap the whole branch loosely in plastic wrap, to keep the work area humid. The plastic wrap is removed after a week, and the film is carefully removed after about a month.

Darpa

Any update on the clones stored at -20 with glycerol?

Hi Acannademia,

Here is an update on the Cold#Freeze scion preservation methods:

Storage of scions at 4 degree is only acceptable for around 60 days in my experience. At 8 month of storage, Scions look pretty damaged and therefore, I didn't wasted my time trying to graft them on a Rootstock.

However, I was able to graft plant material stored at -20 in the CPA solution, both immerged and wrapped in CPA solution soaked paper.

Here is the scions after 7 month in the freezer:

Darpa

Here is an other grafting project with a pretty big trunk as a rootstock, and different grafting techniques…

Darpa

Darpa

Hi Zif, the pourentage of succes rate is getting lower every month of cryopreservation unfortunately. After 7 month, the succes rate for grafting drop at 40 to 50 percent…. I'll try to graft 12 month Cryo preserved scions at -20, but I Don't expect a decent succes rate…

Cheer!

Darpa

zif

Veteran
Wow. Even 40% is amazing.

I don’t recall if you tried rooting any cryopreserved cuttings? I wonder if grafting is critical to success here.