What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

Tom Hill

Veteran
what i am looking for is a world wide ass-kicking of nerds in the lab they have no clue we can train friggin monkeys to do their job and if they keep coming up with these lame ideas i might have to kill them all..

Tom Hill

Veteran
they are wasting equipment,, they came from some jive-ass job a few years ago where they should have fucking stayed,, they are absolutely in the way..

purple_man

Veteran
by the way as sams stated, its "frozen" tissue... (didnt want to be a dick about it, and burst your bubble)

also they used parts of "unripe fruits" i guess a storage organelle, which holds sugars -> a buffer for "deep freezing"...

blessss
ps.: a frozen carrot or potatoe would be no problem, but cannabis leaftissue i doubt it, if anything, frozen roots or whats inside of frozen seeds... its not a cacti ya know what i mean???

Tom Hill

Veteran
wise-up... live cell is live cell it does not matter if frozen or not we are already there i can give him a protocol that would be close now and require very little solution shooting.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I guess I am not as interested in regenerating plants as you are.
My interest is really focused on Cannabis relationships, evolution, as well as a Cannabis family tree. Cannabis did evolve, it did have origins, it has relationships based on history and being used for breeding, and being carried around and used by man.
I am not so sure why it is my role to find a way to regenerate dead seeds or plant cells, you seem to be much more interested in this type of work with Cannabis, so do it!!!
I will try and save any extra dead seeds I have for a future when dead seeds can be revived and grown, that I will do for sure. Until then I will continue with the DNA project, as I find the potential of a Cannabis family tree that reveals relationships and evolution interesting as hell to me and friends. We should do both, I am doing my part.

PS I have eight 2400 year old seeds given to me from the Hermitage Museum in St. Petersburg, Russia. Excavated by Sergei Ivanovich Rudenko in 1947-1949. From Pazyryk: "In a corner of one grave chamber of the Pazyryk cemetery was a fur bag containing cannabis seed, a censer filled with stones, and the hexapod frame of an inhalation tent - these are believed to have been utilized at the end of the funerary ritual for purification."
I also have many other Cannabis seeds thousands of years old in my collections.

-SamS

Last edited:

Tom Hill

Veteran
but he is surrounded by lame-ass nerds, who can't take their minds long enough off the rubix cube to understand what actually matters.. he knows this is true.

Tom Hill

Veteran
you have been asking for seeds under one guise or another for going on a decade now and if people are coughing them up you better do the right thing with them,, and no,,, nobody cares about this dead end road i know exactly where this ends it gives nothing... just be sure to hear this warning and even if you don't believe it,, see it as your duty to set some aside for what really matters later..

purple_man

Veteran
bros why are you always that protective and implicating (third party wise styleee)?

we are just exchanging ideas, preferences, stances, etc. and hopefully lots of jokes and have some fun while doing so, dont forget this aint the freqin ketamin anonymous right?

sams, you and all the others out here are freeman (at least i hope so), and grown ups -> lets get back to the original topic, shall we?

blessss

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Tom do you know anyone that has done this with Cannabis?
Thousands of years old?
Or if not how old? With Cannabis.
-SamS

wise-up... live cell is live cell it does not matter if frozen or not we are already there i can give him a protocol that would be close now and require very little solution shooting.

Tom Hill

Veteran
i have some pacific island seed that suits this purpose and so i will give.. but let it be known this purpose is wasteful.. i already know that this germplasm is virtually the same as the thai of 1970 in regards to macro cannabinoids as well terpene profiles tell me what more can this research possible teach me? Nada,, absolutely nada.

purple_man

Veteran
i feel you bro, i feel the same way you posted, but lets be realistic and honest, the canna game has 5 to 10 years left unless overtaken by big $ companies etc... ?

hope you visit good old europe one day, despite them knuckleheads who screwed you over... let me guess spain? used to be the netherlands (mellow yellow, dj, shanti, ...)

by the way for good ole times sakes:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/album.php?albumid=12051&pictureid=239893

ya dig it? :)

blessss
ps.: sams no hard feelings bro, you welcome too, would be a stupidly intersting funny awkward tiresome and philosphical discourse about the do's and dont's

pps.: whats lots of money really worth???

Tom Hill

Veteran
anytime they have gone from live cells en vitro, to live plant,, this is exactly the same scenario Sam the protocol is not like hidden treasures beyond your grasp. there is but one reason this is not your current pitch as it should be,, and that is you are surrounded by no-nothing nerds sir,, go back to your roots and get back in touch with what matters screw your seed this is your biggest possible input into this thing of ours..

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
i have some pacific island seed that suits this purpose and so i will give.. but let it be known this purpose is wasteful.. i already know that this germplasm is virtually the same as the thai of 1970 in regards to macro cannabinoids as well terpene profiles tell me what more can this research possible teach me? Nada,, absolutely nada.

You can hand it to RCC at the Emerald Cup in Dec 12-13 or send them to me in Amsterdam, PM me.
Our goal is not the tepenes and Cannabinoids contents, that is not even second or third, our first interest is we want to make a family tree with 20,000 data points, each a single seed or leaf from a landrace, this should help reveal both relationships and evolution. I am interested in where the Cannabis found in Africa came from, where the Cannabis found in Colombia is from, etc, etc, as well as what is related to what? We can use a seed or a leaf, dead or alive, what we need is landraces.

As for resurrecting a dead Cannabis seed, or plant cells and having them alive and growing, sound interesting, has it been done with Cannabis? Do you have a reference? If so, how old were the dead seeds?

-SamS

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Also I think maybe I like seeds and male Cannabis plants better then you do Tom?
I have thousands of seeds I collected before there were any clones being made or preserved. Many many hybrid seeds I made that I have kept under refrigeration 4-5C and they still germinate fine 25+ years later, if I would have froze them they would have last much longer then me.
Now who has clones that are 30 years old, much less older? Who has thousands of clones they have kept alive for even just 20 years? Few can keep a thousand clones alive much less maintain 1000 for many years. Seeds are easier and better for that.
But you do not maintain the single clone selected from hundreds or thousands, that is for sure. I see the value of both seeds and clones and males also. It all started with seeds and production is heading for Sinsemilla clones. Known clones that are produced for growers that will grow them grow under identical condition greenhouses, or in a given area outdoors, they will be pretty similar just varying a little year by year like a wine vintage does because of weather.
I never had more then 300+ clones I maintained, around 100 today + some males. I did have tons of seeds and still do today. Seeds are easier to keep long periods if they can be used to do the job, you can fit several million in a fridge or even more in a chest freezer just keep an alarm that will contact you on the electricity + cold box.
I am sure when legal 100% then clones will be just as easy to keep maintained, we are almost there with laws, but not quite yet. When legal and you can freeze them, and bring them back and grow them, then frozen callus tissue will be the best back up library, a small freezer or freezers, could hold thousands of samples for longer then any of us will live.
-SamS

SpaceBros.

This is the big problem. Someone gets something for nothing. Patents, Breeder's rights, IP etc. Information gleaned from this project goes directly into a small group of peoples hands for the possibility of long-term future profiteering. Now some may say these people are legends of Cannabis game and they deserve this because of all the hardwork they put in already. Yes they have done a lot for Cannabis today and we have to thank them for that. But do they deserve the possibility of monopolizing the industry for future generations? I think not.

Furthermore as Tom Hill also mentions when you extract and store the DNA you have in your hands the genetic material of 1000s of plants to use how you see fit for further genetic analysis and even gene cloning (to make your own GM super cannabis) and for gene therapy via plasmid vectors etc. This is all readily doable with today's technology even if it may not have been done before.

The questions still remains what exactly does the individual get for sending in his/her genetic material? Does one even get an individual report of the results of the sequencing analysis for each sample submitted?

When are the results these results coming out btw?

Chomba64

Veteran
Sam,

Are you sending leaf and or seed to Phylos Bioscience or are you doing your own DNA work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Phylos covered all the costs for folks submitting around the western US. I was quoted $40 a run for GBS (genotyping by sequencing) from Oregon State University.

Sam: do you know if these samples will be placed in the NIH Sequence Read Archive like others have done?

KiefSweat

Veteran
i think the numbers I got are based of QTL mapping, granted i don't know much of the science on that end but I was told for my money I would get specific data for certain traits and enzymes

Latest posts

Latest posts