What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS DNA PROJECT

purple_man

Veteran
no money no funny as folks say in cambodia :)

once the strains sequenced incorporate most of the oldies and goodies (landraces), id be more than glad to pay (a REASONABLE price), but i wouldn't for "dubious" new age hybrid sequences :)

blessss

Tom Hill

Veteran
man they are not even close to understanding what they are looking at outside of saying "this family shares this other family's macro terpenoid profile" or etc,,, i truly doubt what is being taunted will ever come to be in a way that will move me,,, i just think if u have some old seed put it in rob's hands :p

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
...and the canadians score first.

Looking forward to some of these projects being done with actual progenitors, rather than commercial seed.... in due time, the collection is ongoing and well underway.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0133292&representation=PDF

The Genetic Structure of Marijuana and Hemp

Jason Sawler, Jake M. Stout, Kyle M. Gardner, Darryl Hudson, John Vidmar, Laura Butler, Jonathan E. Page , Sean Myles
Jason Sawler, Jake M. Stout, Kyle M. Gardner, Darryl Hudson, John Vidmar, Laura Butler, Jonathan E. Page, Sean Myles PLOS x
Published: August 26, 2015DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0133292

Despite its cultivation as a source of food, fibre and medicine, and its global status as the most used illicit drug, the genus Cannabis has an inconclusive taxonomic organization and evolutionary history. Drug types of Cannabis (marijuana), which contain high amounts of the psychoactive cannabinoid Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), are used for medical purposes and as a recreational drug. Hemp types are grown for the production of seed and fibre, and contain low amounts of THC. Two species or gene pools (C. sativa and C. indica) are widely used in describing the pedigree or appearance of cultivated Cannabis plants. Using 14,031 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) genotyped in 81 marijuana and 43 hemp samples, we show that marijuana and hemp are significantly differentiated at a genome-wide level, demonstrating that the distinction between these populations is not limited to genes underlying THC production. We find a moderate correlation between the genetic structure of marijuana strains and their reported C. sativa and C. indica ancestry and show that marijuana strain names often do not reflect a meaningful genetic identity. We also provide evidence that hemp is genetically more similar to C. indica type marijuana than to C. sativa strains.

Tom Hill

Veteran
:We find a moderate correlation between the genetic structure of marijuana strains and their reported C. sativa and C. indica ancestry and show that marijuana strain names often do not reflect a meaningful genetic identity:

^^^^ wow,, so insightful rotflmao :D

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
No costs involved, we share any data.
You are really wrong about why I am involved, the reason is simple, to increase the knowledge of Cannabis DNA, Cannabis relationships and evolution, as we construct a Cannabis family tree.
Phylos is trying to make a profit with DNA spinoffs like DNA testing for sex, viruses, Cannabis Strain Identification, microbiology testing for contaminates, these will all help the Cannabis community.
-SamS

i hope so for them ;)

as the wu tang clan would say: C.R.E.A.M ... one thing is for sure, lots of $ could be possibly generated with that kind of data

blessss

ps.: pay the man for what actually? he is doing the PR stunt "we will share the data with the public" so folks send in more stuff, and now we should pay for it??? screw that, no freaqin company ESPECIALLY not a "biotech" startup having sams involved in times like these is an act of kindness to mankind and the cannmunity, it's just a way to get payed, and stay on "top of the game"....

pps.: im stil more then glad that they are doing what they are doing, even if the data gets disclosed in 15 years or folks can get access via payment

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
done know tomz :)

glad to see you back online...

@sams: could you please let ICMAG know, when the data goes online (thx alot in advance)??? also, i hope you guys stored unused "unviable" seeds, embryo rescue and in-vitro culture could prove VERY usefull if the sequenced line is one of the "building blocks which were lost"....

blessss

I will be posting the info as soon as I have it. Or a link to it.
As for dead seeds I have to admit I have been tossing them in the trash for decades, I will not anymore, but I saw no use for them years ago.
I wish I kept them all.....
To be able to use them for the DNA project work, much less to be able in the future to resurrect the DNA as Tom is suggesting, although I have not heard of this being done successfully with Cannabis? Tom got a link about this kind of work with Cannabis?
-SamS

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
Great and interesting paper.
-SamS

Looking forward to some of these projects being done with actual progenitors, rather than commercial seed.... in due time, the collection is ongoing and well underway.

http://www.plosone.org/article/fetc....1371/journal.pone.0133292&representation=PDF

Jason Sawler, Jake M. Stout, Kyle M. Gardner, Darryl Hudson, John Vidmar, Laura Butler, Jonathan E. Page , Sean Myles
Jason Sawler, Jake M. Stout, Kyle M. Gardner, Darryl Hudson, John Vidmar, Laura Butler, Jonathan E. Page, Sean Myles PLOS x

Despite its cultivation as a source of food, fibre and medicine, and its global status as the most used illicit drug, the genus Cannabis has an inconclusive taxonomic organization and evolutionary history. Drug types of Cannabis (marijuana), which contain high amounts of the psychoactive cannabinoid Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), are used for medical purposes and as a recreational drug. Hemp types are grown for the production of seed and fibre, and contain low amounts of THC. Two species or gene pools (C. sativa and C. indica) are widely used in describing the pedigree or appearance of cultivated Cannabis plants. Using 14,031 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) genotyped in 81 marijuana and 43 hemp samples, we show that marijuana and hemp are significantly differentiated at a genome-wide level, demonstrating that the distinction between these populations is not limited to genes underlying THC production. We find a moderate correlation between the genetic structure of marijuana strains and their reported C. sativa and C. indica ancestry and show that marijuana strain names often do not reflect a meaningful genetic identity. We also provide evidence that hemp is genetically more similar to C. indica type marijuana than to C. sativa strains.

Tom Hill

Veteran
It is nothing more than a matter of protocol Sam it is being done more and more with many species.

Tom Hill

Veteran
what i was talking about is really not outside the realm of simple en vitro reproduction,, live cells are live cells and cells are live for eons beyond when they can germinate on their own.. this is a worthy place to place efforts,, all this other stuff when we are not even sure what it means? i am not so sure about that seems like somebody let a bunch of nerds in the lab. .

MrBelvedere

ICMag Donor

John Vidmar, Laura Butler, Jonathan E. Page, Sean Myles PLOS x

Despite its cultivation as a source of food, fibre and medicine, and its global status as the most used illicit drug, the genus Cannabis has an inconclusive taxonomic organization.

Great study, it's nice to see how straightforward they were about possible mislabels and other collection issues of the samples.

If I understood correctly they blindly sequenced everything and then put sample results into three different "buckets" by grouping them according to similarities in the genome.

And then they correlated each of the three buckets to the terms we commonly use- sativa, indica, hemp.

Nice.

purple_man

Veteran
live cells are live cells, but come on, why concentrate on bunch of chloroplasts which should prove themselves incapable of surviving basic sterilization protocols?

unless we are talking about leaf/shoots/roots tissue which is not beyond the permanent wilting point, fragments would be sufficient for leaf disc cultures if the applied protocol is appropriate...

blessss

Tom Hill

Veteran
we are not talking about some far off bullshit this is reality,,, not reverse breeding or any other ceasing of crossovers during dh production this os fairly easy in comparison.. at least give me some outside chance of this happening when u are wanting me to cough it up... for fucks sake,, that other crap is worth like zero i have seen the results already lol...

Tom Hill

Veteran
Seriously i have very good friends,, brothers,, who have seemingly traded in their borderline brains for some low class position in a lab and it hurts me so,,, what the fuck happened to your guy's brain's ha? get off your asses and give us something worth while...

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
I think this is great but lets find Cannabis or Cannabis seeds and try it. This material in the article has been frozen in permafrost for thousands of years, that helped with preservation. Cannabis seeds if frozen could maybe be regenerated, unfrozen I am not so sure, I have my doubts.
But there is one way to find out....
My focus is the DNA for Cannabis relationships and evolution as well as a Cannabis family tree.
I agree that Tom or others should try and regenerate Cannabis that is old, dead and thousands of years old. Or even just hundreds of years old. If it can be done then a service could be started to rescue old dead seeds that people want saved? Many people would find that useful.
-SamS

http://www.livescience.com/18559-ancient-plants-resurrected-siberian-permafrost.html

really Purp,, its easy,, if these guys took their friggin minds off all this other shit that does not matter in the least we'd get it done in no time.. this is what happens when u let nerds into the lab. Sam would d this in a heartbeat and if this was his pitch we'd be coughing it up tell me i am wrong..

Tom Hill

Veteran
live cells are live cells Sam my brother,, this is absolutely doable how can we possibly think or believe any of these nerdo propositions when these things are doable? there is no family tree that is all bs i know exactly what you can do and what you can't i know in fact this research will be valued by nerds only who get their nut when the wind blows... I am not impressed,, the info you (and so many others who are doing the same) will not impress... You are a Californian, a pioneer,, don't let those clowns direct your efforts,,, we are all of us counting on you brother rise to the mother fucking occasion :)

purple_man

Veteran
bro dont get me wrong, but my interests are in a whole different breeding/transformation area, ...

and by the way, even more "spooky" shit is doable, for example the "urban myth" of hops x c. sativa can be done, do some haploids out of aborted embryos and recross it etc...

ever thought about transforming a mosaic or other suitable viri, infect the parents, produce sibblings, test em for virus count, and relaease it to the market???

the catchy aspect is, your plant performs normal, BUT it's been "coded" if you want, etc... to many applications to be true

blessss

Latest posts

Latest posts