What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CANNABIS CUP IS OFFICIALLY STARTED!

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
Find something solid to hold onto if you take a big rip of Am Hz from SOMA's hand.... Always a "High" point of any "trip."

BOOM

Enjoy - you guys.....

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i got some buds of soma

he has some really great herb for this cup

lovely buddas sis

and both his entrys are really good
especialy the kushadelic
of the chain mad kushy flavours with a nice strong rip you up kush buzz

respect soma

peace

Rosy Cheeks

dancin' cheek to cheek
Veteran
accessndx said:
What's that? Can someone elaborate on the coffeeshop closures? Is this just because it's too competitive or are there legal regulations encroaching on their ability to conduct business? What's the dealio?

The conservative government tried hard to think of a way to attack the Canna industry, and this is all they came up with.

No coffeeshops allowed within 250m of a school.

They missed the fact that Cannabis does not cause brain damage - or any other kind of physical damage - and does not cause dependency.

Alcohol does, although I haven't heard anything about shutting down every bar or store that sells alcohol within 250m of a school.

Hazeseeker said:
i had the chance to smoke some of Soma's Amnesia Haze the past couple of weeks,
really well grown 'erb, taste is amazing, i'm definately gonna try and make room to grow some of Soma's gear in '09 :joint:

Most of the Amnesia Haze you get in AM coffeeshops is from an elite cut I believe.
Not saying that the regular phenos aren't up to standards, but that one's supposed to be particularly trippy and smelly. Perhaps it's just a fast pheno, cash croppers delight.

BiG H3rB Tr3E

"No problem can be solved from the same level of c
Veteran
they are NOT closing coffeeshops....
the article says that they have UNTIL 2011 to RELOCATE
and it was only a handful of shops that will be effected

they put up smoking bann for cigarette and not ganja,,,
they may be conservative for holland,,,but that is damn progressive
to us americans...

Here is a link to an article:

http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/548-ams...ng-coffeeshops

AND:

"The owners are not allowed to move their coffeeshops to another location within the city. Mayor Job Cohen says he would like to spread the shops throughout the city, but almost all of the city’s boroughs are actively opposed."

EDIT: Link no longer avaiable, so here is article:

Amsterdam to close 43 coffeeshops:
Amsterdam Tourist Information • Posted: November 21, 2008

© DutchAmsterdam.nl — The City of Amsterdam has announced it will close 43 of its 228 coffeeshops because they are located too close to schools.

In doing so, Amsterdam mayor Job Cohen “reluctantly” follows up a federal government directive to establish ‘distance criteria‘ between schools and coffeeshops.

“I would not have come up with something like this,” Cohen comments.

The shops affected are all located within 250 meters walking distance of high schools.

Among the establishments to be closed is the internationally-renowned coffeeshop The Bulldog at Leidseplein — which opened its doors in 1985 in a building that formerly housed Amsterdam’s police headquarters. The world famous coffeeshop is too close to the Barlaeus Gymnasium.

The shops must close their businesses no later than December 2011, according to Het Amsterdamse coffeeshopbeleid 2008 (Amsterdam Coffeeshop Policy Statement 2008), which is to be presented later today.

The owners are not allowed to move their coffeeshops to another location within the city. Mayor Job Cohen says he would like to spread the shops throughout the city, but almost all of the city’s boroughs are actively opposed.

Conservative political parties
The government directive is the brainchild of the Christian Democrats (CDA) — the most powerful party in the Dutch coalition government. Headed by Prime Minister Jan Peter Balkenende, the party constantly pushes toward more stringent control of coffeeshops. Under the current Balkenende cabinet, it does so in tandem with the Christian Union (in Dutch: ChristenUnie, CU), a relatively young Dutch orthodox Protestant political party.

CDA and CU pushed the most stringent interpretation, in which coffeeshops would not be allowed to operate within 500 meters walking distance of primary or high schools.

The less stringent norm of 250 meters was already employed by a majority of the 105 Dutch municipalities with at least 1 coffeeshop within their borders.

The City of Amsterdam is not adopting distance guidelines regarding primary schools, since that would mean more than 90% of its coffeeshops would have to close. According to Job Cohen, doing so would be undesirable as it would play havoc with the successful policy of separating soft drugs from that of hard drugs.

‘Weed Conference’
Cohen will today address a national conference of mayors who are meeting to discuss a possible joint policy toward coffeeshops within their communities.

Cohen will plea for further regulation of the production and sale of marijuana. “The system we have now is reasonably successful, and better than it is abroad. Only the backdoor is still a problem,” Cohen says, referring to the fact that while coffeeshops are legally allowed to sell soft drugs, they are technically not allowed to purchase their supplies.

“I plea for a closed circuit from supply to sale. That way you can exercise better control over quality, and also tax profits. I also think it is better to use our scarce police capacity for other issues,” says Cohen.

The Netherlands should not fear negative reactions from abroad, the Amsterdam mayor says. Instead we should clearly explain our policies, and show that we have “ironclad arguments” in their favor.

He points out that the use of soft drugs in the Netherlands is lower than that in countries where the use of hash and marijuana are forbidden by law. Holland also counts fewer drug addicts. According to Cohen that is due to Holland’s clear delineation between soft drugs and hard drugs.

Cannabis Capital of the World
With 288 coffeeshops, Amsterdam is home to a quart of all coffeeshops in the Netherlands — and is, according to Dutch daily De Telegraaf, the “Cannabis Capital of the World.”

A 2007 report by Amsterdam’s Department for Research and Statistics shows that of the 4.5 million tourists who spend the night in Amsterdam during a given year, 26% visit a coffeeshop. According to the Amsterdam Tourism & Convention Board, 10% of tourists even mention this as a primary reason to visit the city.

Nevertheless, according to the Coffeeshops Policy Statement 2008, the City of Amsterdam encounters hardly any problems with its coffeeshops. Cohen compares the situation with alcohol. “The misery that causes, including addiction problems, are much greater with alcohol than with soft drugs. Yet I hear nobody suggest a ban on alcohol. After all, that has been tried once in the US, leading to enormous problems with crime.”

Red Light District
The City of Amsterdam does plan to ‘eventually’ reduce the number of coffeeshops currently located within the Red Light District — where there is too high a concentration of the establishments.

It is not yet known what approach the City, which is carrying out a ten-year plan to clean up the world famous neighborhood — will take towards these coffeeshops.

Original content © Copyright 2008 DutchAmsterdam.nl

Last edited:

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
I wouldnt be surprised if telling them to close their business because ots too close to a school-but not allowing them the option of sinmply moving to a different premises is against E U Law-even if the ganj policies arent reflected by eu law- a business is a business and the givernment cant just say you cant have that business because of this-but not allow you to remdy the sitiuation EU codes and practices, rules for fairness and such are strongly enforced by the Brussels lot....

stasis

Veteran
Sheesh, so many factors... Ovverwhelmingly overcomplicated, so many interests involved in the process.

At least in the EU there is an "appearance of negotiation..."

As in the negotiating with Students last year, regarding a proposed increase in their workload.

Mayor Cohen has a couple of surprisingly wise outlooks on the C Shop issue. Even though any regulation feels repressive.

No other leaders dare to say anything against the Almighty Alcohol, in the YouEssAy.. Cohen is fulfilling a challenging role.

Who will ever know the REAL whys and wherefores...?

JBIG420

well its just about all over... man its been a pretty good cup
saw Dilated at the DNA show... great
saw one of the Marleys and then last night was Steel Pulse at Melkweg... great
been to just about all the shops I like, tried alot of good herb this year
it was a good cup
met some people form different places
saw Marco! probly gonna see him again today
Soma does have great herb this year (last year tho was even better)
I like where the cup is going and its getting a good bit better year by year
see you at the next one if I dont get to write more before I get home, i am out tomorrow! l8

JBIG420 said:
well its just about all over... man its been a pretty good cup
saw Dilated at the DNA show... great

aww mann

dilated peoples were there?

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

i cant believe i missed that

DNA know their stoner music, thats for sure

Last edited:
JBIG420:
What was the cannabis smoking policy at the Expo and Melkweg ?
Vaporizor only ?
Joints, pipes, bongs, ok?
Could you smoke anywhere on the floor?
Thanks for the report.
Did SOMA have Cambodian Haze ?

stasis

Veteran
Cool info JBIG.... I am on my way next week...

More strain info anyone...?

Peace...

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Does anyone have a list of all the winners at the cup today? I know GHS won with there super lemon haze

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
SpacedCWBY said:
What? No one else entered the "cannabis cup"?
Yea I second that....what's up I thought the cannabis cup was the main category? Something seems fishy with one damn strain entered. Well anyway congrats GHS and all the over winners

trichomefarmer

re-loading
Veteran
interesting... i was there for the 1st part of the cup.
from previous disappointments I didn't even bother with the coffeeshop crawl(in my case pedal).
only bought some herb at 2 shops the dweede kamer and the the Katsu and didn't get any water hash. for half decent stuff you have to pay over 40€ a gram. the Greenhouse entry was 65€ a gram, thats a 100 swiss francs or canadian dollars. I believe that to be insane. I've been told cocaine is cheaper...wtf.

luckily for me i got some nice resin from my friend at delta9 seeds for a much more reasonable price.
Had a great time seeing old friends, and got very high puffing the ole' afghaan hubbly bubblies with modern resins. truly legendary and the biggest reason I still go to Amsterdam during the cup.
congrats to the roor crew and bubbleman for 2nd place in glass and product, and to all those that came to the Dam and partied ,always the real winners of these events.

Enjoying some freedom while it still exists.

* To those that havent been to Amsterdam yet I wouldn't wait too much longer every year there are less shops and whats left is owned by fewer people.

H

Hazeseeker

trichomefarmer said:
the Greenhouse entry was 65€ a gram, thats a 100 swiss francs or canadian dollars. I believe that to be insane
Jesus that is expensive just for 1 gram,
i'm surprised folk actually pay that much, even if it is really powerful, that price is hardcore man

peace:joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts