What's new

Canna-Honey? Someone help!, lol

Ipsissimus

325 is too high. you will lose some cannabinoids and terpenes above 300F...and I mean ALL of the ones that have boiling points lower than 325. thc decarbolyzes rapidly above 170F. when you put kief or bud directly in the oven there is no moisture to buffer the heat, so you can really vape your goods if you're not careful. Baked goods are much more forgiving. check out this thread on vaporization temperatures.

The major component of cannabis is Δ9-THC carboxylic acid which exists as two isomeric forms, THCA-A and THCA-B, both of which are psychomimetically inactive. It can be converted into the predominantely active constituent Δ9-THC, slowly on storage and rapidly on exposure to heat (e.g. when smoked).

Is six weeks long enough? Why not heat it for 5 minutes and not worry about it!

don't forget, the oven trick is just another route to decarbolyzation. you can only "activate" it once!

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
I gave it a try.....

I gave it a try.....

Ok, here's what I did...

Measured 1/4 cup honey and set it in a pot of shallow water on low heat. (Was looking everywhere for my candy thermomiter and realized I broke it last I used it.... Sorry) I kept the heat to keep the water at a, just about to boil temp.

~Added 0.5 g 73 micron bubble hash.

Just  added.jpg

Then continued stirring, and breaking up the little chunks of hash. It all seemed to be floating on the top of the honey. I took it out afer simmering for 10 mins. Notice hash particles very visible around the edge of the glass.

simmer 10 mins.jpg

I continued to simmer and stir for another 10 mins, thinking that I may be making honey butter instead, cause it wasn't infusing with the honey very well. I took it off after simmering a total of 20 mins.

finnished side.jpg

You can still see the tiny hash particles, but it ended up breaking down pretty well.

finnished side.jpg

finnished top.jpg

I gave it a little taste and it tastes just like honey! But after all the nice, sweet honey taste had left my mouth, there was a slight sticky, hashy film on my teeth and tounge. I didn't realy care for it. I think I will be making honey butter out of this after all.

Hope this method helps someone from waisting some bubble hash.

~Lil

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
IP, you are incorrect for weed at least, I have never cooked with hash. If you heat to 325, it does smell like your weed is burning thc, but that is just terps that do not get you high,[I have hit the vapors coming off to see if I would get off.] Try it both ways, I have.

When you vape at 350, you get smoke, but no thc, at least in my vape, thc starts boiling off around 370, so the 325 is not a problem.

I made green milk last night, drank a small shot, and passed out for twelve hours a couple hours later, thats what I'm talking about. Tonight I try a half a shot.
H

Ipsissimus

Lil o Me, kudos for giving it a shot! I think honey butter does sounds delicious too!! :) Maybe heat up the same jar, add some butter, let that simmer for a good while, then cool in fridge, then whip it up like some yummy honey butter? I love to add fresh preserves to the honey + butter mix, that is good on toast.

I wonder if dissolving it into a small amount of hot ethanol first might be the trick, for straight honey? Honey dissolves in water, i bet they would mix pretty well. Next time we'll use my kief Lil o Me :) :)

Haps - try it at 250, IME you will get at least just as high, and no burnt taste or loss of tasty terpenes. There are different boiling points for the other cannabinols, you might lose some and keep others.

ps. i love the green milk, I like to simmer buds in the milk...add some sugar and vanilla and it's damn good!

What temps did you get the honey to? When I do infusions with coconut oil, I get the oil to about 225 to get the THC bonded to it well, and simmer for a few HOURS.
Maybe this is how it was done? The honey we tasted was PHENOMENAL, I really want to get this nailed.

lilo...props for the effort!
Peace love and smoke pot!

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
What temps did you get the honey to? When I do infusions with coconut oil, I get the oil to about 225 to get the THC bonded to it well, and simmer for a few HOURS.
Maybe this is how it was done? The honey we tasted was PHENOMENAL, I really want to get this nailed.

lilo...props for the effort!
Peace love and smoke pot!

My candy thermomiter broke.... so I have no idea what temp I got it to. I went ahead and made honey butter with it, so there's no more experimenting with that batch. Oil is different than honey. I dont think the THC was infusing with the honey at all. We'll keep trying... I'll help you get this down!

~Lil

K

ka0tik_kreati0n

I'd rather have takeout than cook in... lol
nah but you still did better than I would've lol

Ipsissimus

I just verified absinthe I distilled from grain alcohol dissolves beautifully in honey. The oils didn't turn milky either, like when you add water to the absinthe, so this is a good sign.

My money is on a concentrated high proof alcohol tincture added to the honey. You could then heat it up together to activate any remaining alcohol would evaporate. If you don't want to heat it up you would need to heat up the kiff or hash or bud in the oven, or cook with it (tea?). perhaps the small amount of alcohol helps the oils stay in solution? when I evaporate rubbing alcohol doing extractions, when only the water remains sometimes its cloudy/opaque. but man did that absinthe take to the honey nicely. I see good potential here. I sometimes toast buds at low heat and add it to a hot shot of vodka, then strain and shoot - the alc. turns yellow/yellow greenish like iso or butane extractions. a slight residue can sticks to the teeth sometimes when taking a shot. I guess it's a good sign too ;)

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
Hmmm..... I think your onto something! Did you do the absinthe yourself, from an alcohol tincture? I wonder how that might affect the flavor of the honey... although, honey does have a very powerful, sweet taste.

Ipsissimus

yup, made the tincture from 195 proof grain alcohol the distilled it. Honey would be a nice additive (you could use it instead of sugar) but generally you have to add water and sugar to drink it. The alcohol is sometimes called corn grain alcohol. I like having a bottle around in general, it's like really strong non poisonous rubbing alcohol. plus it can get you pissed :)

you know, you might be able to save that honey by adding a shot of the stuff, then heating it again. carefully (don't flambe your eyebrows).

U would not believe it. I was going to make some honey and dropped all my kief on the floor. I'm such a klutz lol...
I will have to try it with hash or bud now.

Peace love and smoke pot.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
:yoinks: Oh no!!! So sorry to hear about that Mrs. Tango. Well, hopefully you'll have better luck than me. I've already turned my honey into honey butter. I've yet to try it though. I just started a low carb diet..... Damn it! I need to find a guinee pig.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
Mrs. Tango.... What did the honey look like? Could you see any leaf particles in it? Any traces of THC matter in it? And how did it taste? Could you taste the THC? If so, was it a potent taste or mild?

Ipsissimus

hey y'all, g.o. joe passed some links along that lead me to believe you should toast your kief/hash for 30 mins @ 250F (121C) or 15 mins @ 270(132C) (see the chart in this post) before dissolving in high proof ethanol. It appears that honey in a water bath would take as long as butter to fully decarb the goods. However, you might be able to do it in a sauce pan, without a water bath, using a candy/grill thermometer, and do it a lot faster.

:yoinks: Oh no!!! So sorry to hear about that Mrs. Tango. Well, hopefully you'll have better luck than me. I've already turned my honey into honey butter. I've yet to try it though. I just started a low carb diet..... Damn it! I need to find a guinee pig.

YA that is hard. You should try it, then start the diet the next day lol... you will give a better bio. Unless you know someone. Give me a little longer then I will do the honey.

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
YA that is hard. You should try it, then start the diet the next day lol... you will give a better bio. Unless you know someone. Give me a little longer then I will do the honey.

Yea, its just been sitting in my fridge. I think I'll need to add more butter since I can see the honey has seperated at the bottom. Mabey I just need to whip it up. I've just been so busy the last couple weeks, haven't had much time in the kitchen.... plus this heat! I dont even want to cook inside. We've been on the BBQ for just about every meal! Ughhh.... well at least fall is approching... which means fall harvest is right around the corner!!! :woohoo:

Hubby and I are making bubble hash today!!!! I'm so excited. I'm trying the honey today too. I will let you know how it comes out... Wish me luck lol....You are right it is so hot. I don't even want to be outside. Baby Tango is sleeping, so I have a little time to do this . Check you later...

Lil 'o Me

Farm hand
Veteran
Hubby and I are making bubble hash today!!!! I'm so excited. I'm trying the honey today too. I will let you know how it comes out... Wish me luck lol....You are right it is so hot. I don't even want to be outside. Baby Tango is sleeping, so I have a little time to do this . Check you later...

Are you planning on using the hash, your making today, for the honey? Hopefully baby Tango will be having a growth spurt and sleep long hours for you today! Good luck Mrs. T! Let me know how it goes!