What's new

Canna Coir problems - newbie

JeremyP99

Greyskull : Dynafem feminised seed, "bonus" in a pack of their "industrial" seeds. Blue Widow.

Dramamine : Thanks, will go for RO. I'll hang with this seed simply to see what can be done with it and get familiar with a nutes routine, even if there's no product at the end. When I get RO set up, then I'll plant a new seed, which I'll be able to treat properly from day 1.

Many thanks guys - much appreciated.

JP

JeremyP99

OK.

So I pulled the sickly plant, and it had a very feeble root system. No wonder it wasn't thriving.

I want to start another seed soon. Added to armoury I know have an RO filter.

Handy household tips for starting off a seed in Coir with RO water? I've seen people note that they "rinse" the coir first with water and CalMag - I did in fact do that with the bad seed; rain water (stood for days) and CalMag - clearly that didn't do anything special.

I'm feeling I must have missed something for that seed to have failed so spectacularly - though of course it could have been a duff seed. The suppliers have an excellent reputation though, and are used by heavy duty growers.

Anyway, all thoughts welcome. Got a stinking cold at the moment, and it's foggy, cold and clammy here, so I will not be setting up the RO filter today, rather doing some reading on seeds and canna. Again, all suggestions, links etc. welcome. I'm particularly interested in EC, what it should be, and how to adjust it if it is out of range.

Greyskull

Twice as clear as heaven and twice as loud as reas
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what brand coco are you using?
ive used canna, bcuzz, and blackgold, all right out of the bag (no rinsing) with no problems.

that said, ive never really just dropped a seed into coco... ive always dropped them into a starter plug/cube. btu i know guys whove dont the drop and grow thing... seems to work well for them. i think you just "pretend" the coco is like dirt, dig a little spot out, drop the bean in, cover and hit it w water.

my 2cents

good luck w a better seedling this time

JeremyP99

Hi - Canna cior & nutes. Oddly, I just ordered some starter plugs and cubes, and some rooting agent. Makes sense to me to give it a good start. So tomorrow all being well I will set up my RO filter and fill a good tank with that. Odd, really what happened to that seed - it germinate din 24 hours, with a good stub to start with - but when I pulled it the other evening, the root system manifested WHY it could only support one growing set of leaves - as I think I said, as a new set expanded, the set below went yellow and curled at the ends.

Anyway. I'm much better equipped now. Still not quite sure about this EC stuff (have a Hanna PH/EC metre now) - what level is optimal, what to do if it's NOT optimal, but I am sure it will make sense soon enough.

Cheers. I'll post again when there's anything to report on the next run. We have a friend just back from the Dam, so we're not short as a result of recent poor grows :dance013: :yummy:

Latest posts

Latest posts