What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna coco brick vs bag

dramamine

I might try just the calcium nitrate like you suggested (it's so cheap at farming supplies) and add a little silicic acid for cellular structure while the roots are expanding and to strengthen up the plants structure. It will take a few days for the plant to settle anyway before the full array of nutes is needed
That's kind of how I see it. You're kind of just feeding the coco itself rather than the plant, initially. Full feed works too, like Treetroit said, but I got it in my head that getting strong calcium levels into the coco from the jump is a benefit, and it has worked well. And I use a tiny bit of potassium silicate to bring the ph up, so pretty much what you're saying.

Shop by me stopped bringing in the blocks, so I've been getting the bags now. Kinda lame.

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
For seedling an clones I always do a half strength dose of a&b for the first watering. I guess I could just soak the brick in the nute solution with some calmag 🤔

coldcanna

Veteran
Regarding CALMAG - this is an old grower's trope.
No informed cannabis grower should be using calmag in 2023. If your nutrient line can't provide enough calcium and magnesium in their 2 part system, they're just milking you for a 3rd bottle.

Regarding charging your coco- just use your regular nutrient solution at an EC of 1.8-2. At a commercial scale we would get sling bags of coco/perlite, dump a bunch into a bin and wet it down with fertilizer solution. Next, we'd do all of our transplants then feed each pot to runoff. Thats it, works like a charm. At home with the compressed blocks, I use 4-5 gallons of nutrient solution at EC of 2 for expanding the block. After all transplants are done, feed each pot to runoff.

Never tried the bricks but with coco prices going up locally the bricks seem like a good alternative. They claim it's the same quality. Anyone tried both before? Is it really as easy as add a water, stir, and it's ready to go into pots?
Iv'e tried both Canna bags and there bricks and i recommend don't buy there coco bags or any other coco bag your chance of having gnats in them is almost 100% that's what i found with there bags.
Iv'e had gnats fly out when opening the bag and i had bags where iv'e put the coco in a large container to look through and there seems to be no gnats but there eggs are there and during the grow you will gnats flying about it's not Canna's fault those gnats could i got in the bag from the shop you bought it from.
My first grow now with there bricks and no gnats and i like there brick coco better it drains slower than there best bagged coco.

dramamine

Has anyone gotten Canna bricks that wouldn't absorb nutrient solution? I had a couple bricks out of a pack do this recently. They would only take less than a gallon or so and the coco stayed hard and clumped up, swimming in the liquid. I assumed they were old stock or something.

Reactions: Rgd
i only use coco 1 time then throw it out with the grow bag there only $2 2 gal bags and at the end of the grow the roots are fused to the inside of the bag and that takes time soaking i just can't be fugged and i just start with new coco & bag everytime.

cfl...KING

Veteran
100% only bricks like El Chapo from now on. No bugs. Sucks have to add so much water but worth it. Plus it's like half the price

cfl...KING

Veteran
Has anyone gotten Canna bricks that wouldn't absorb nutrient solution? I had a couple bricks out of a pack do this recently. They would only take less than a gallon or so and the coco stayed hard and clumped up, swimming in the liquid. I assumed they were old stock or something.
Use a slightly warmer water an pour that water in fast an hard . 2 gal per 2 bricks. Wait 30ish min good to go. I have a 1" thick wooden stick Ii mix up with because some time theyre will be some chunks.

cfl...KING

Veteran
I had one Canadian Tire brick years ago that would never expand..too pressed..no mayter how hot the water was
I would have smashed it with a hammer then put it back in the water over night

• Haha

cfl...KING

Veteran
Not all bricks take the same time, I've had bricks take 5-10min an others 45-60min. That's why I also mix it up with the wooden stick

cfl...KING

Veteran
Speaking of this I need to go and start expanding some bricks because I got to fill up 8 three gallon buckets

xtsho

I've only used bricked coco never bagged. That's going back years when the coco was full of sand, rocks, and other debris including trash. You had to rehydrate and rinse thoroughly to get the salt out. That isn't necessary today with any decent coco being prewashed and charged.

I used Botanicare bricked coco for years but lately I've been using less expensive brands and haven't noticed any difference. Just rehydrate with a mild nutrient solution and plant away.

Coco is shipped from the point of origin in large compressed bales so bagged coco has just been rehydrated, rinsed, and precharged by the vendor and put in bags. If they offer bricks it is more than likely going to be the same coco they put in bags.

I understand using bagged coco for the convenience but I'm extremely frugal with my money so I only buy bricked coco which offers more value. Bricked coco also takes up much less space. I like to keep a few 5 kg bricks on hand and bagged coco would take up significantly more space which is in short supply at my modest residence.

cfl...KING

Veteran
I've only used bricked coco never bagged. That's going back years when the coco was full of sand, rocks, and other debris including trash. You had to rehydrate and rinse thoroughly to get the salt out. That isn't necessary today with any decent coco being prewashed and charged.

I used Botanicare bricked coco for years but lately I've been using less expensive brands and haven't noticed any difference. Just rehydrate with a mild nutrient solution and plant away.

Coco is shipped from the point of origin in large compressed bales so bagged coco has just been rehydrated, rinsed, and precharged by the vendor and put in bags. If they offer bricks it is more than likely going to be the same coco they put in bags.

I understand using bagged coco for the convenience but I'm extremely frugal with my money so I only buy bricked coco which offers more value. Bricked coco also takes up much less space. I like to keep a few 5 kg bricks on hand and bagged coco would take up significantly more space which is in short supply at my modest residence.
Price was the selling point. 35$ a 50l bag or 160l of bricks for $75. No brainer

Lumpy-Gravy

Coco bricks are a nice fall back for me. Bagged coco works out about 27p per litre as opposed to 17p for bricks. But factoring in soaking time and buying calmag - my water is 3:1 and 0.5ec so don’t need it for growing day to day - it’s just not worth the aggro. But nice to have a couple standing by.

Latest posts

Latest posts