What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna coco brick vs bag

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Never tried the bricks but with coco prices going up locally the bricks seem like a good alternative. They claim it's the same quality. Anyone tried both before? Is it really as easy as add a water, stir, and it's ready to go into pots?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I hydrate them with 2 gallons of high calmag feed, pour it right in the clear bag and let sit for 30 minutes and it’s ready to go.
I do set them in a tote or a 1020 seedling tray just in case there is a hole in the bag. Usually not an issue unless the corner has been bashed in.

Silas_S

I have tried cana coco+ from bags, plagron bricks and ugro bricks. There is a little more work to the bricks, but I feel like the quality is the same.
I like Ugro bricks best of the 3, it is a little more coarse.
I put them in water overnight with calmag. After it has soaked for an hour or so i massage it a little to get the chunks.

Legalcdn

I found canna loose with gnats and had to use mosquito dunks (bti) to kill them. I soaked BTI in water and drenched.

cfl...KING

Veteran
I'll keep that in mind, I already ordered 40l brick of canna to test out. I already have canna calmag to add to it an since I use all canna nutes I figured I'd stick with the one brand. What are you guys ph the water too for soaking the coco?

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
I'll keep that in mind, I already ordered 40l brick of canna to test out. I already have canna calmag to add to it an since I use all canna nutes I figured I'd stick with the one brand. What are you guys ph the water too for soaking the coco?
Whatever I’m feeding with. Usually 5.9ish
If I was to make up solution just for hydrating bucks I’d use 5.6 as it’ll rise in the coco as it drys once planted.
And the 2 gallons is per 20l envelope. With 2 gallons it’ll be nice and fluffy, not soggy or too dry.

cfl...KING

Veteran
Tap, no PH for me.
My tap with canna a&b with boost is 5.8-5.9 with pk13/14 it's 6.2 haven't had to ph a single time this grow yet. Haven't had to use the canna calmag yet tho so not sure what it'll be.

Wasn't sure if the coco needed to soak up a specific pH to be good to go.

My 6 King Sherb will be going into 1gal pots with the coco brick next week an into the flower room. Will be hitting them with rhizo

troutman

Seed Whore
I've purchased bricks in the past. Small ones hydrate quite easily in a large bin
with a bit of water. Just set and come back hours later or the next day. I did get
a huge block one time and it was large coco pieces I was left with. Didn't like it
as much.

Right now for my current grow I purchased 2 large 50L bags of Coco.
I was lucky, the bags were slightly damaged and the shop owner sold
them to me for 1/2 price.

I'm using Mo’Koko Premium Select now.

Last edited:

dramamine

For anyone running a two-part nutrient, you can hydrate the bricks with just calcium nitrate at about 1.8 EC and it works real well. Never ever have had any mag issues doing it this way. It's the calcium that you really need to get in there. Much cheaper than using cal-mag.

cfl...KING

Veteran
For anyone running a two-part nutrient, you can hydrate the bricks with just calcium nitrate at about 1.8 EC and it works real well. Never ever have had any mag issues doing it this way. It's the calcium that you really need to get in there. Much cheaper than using cal-mag.
But I already have a liter of canna calmag an I don't have calcium nitrate. I will keep that in mind for the future tho

Legalcdn

I like the calmag as a substitute for calnit every once in awhile with jacks. This helps me when i am working with sativas that stretch a lot.

Treetroit City

Moderately Super
Veteran
Reason I use full nutes is cause once I transplant I don’t feed them for days until they are dry again.
If the roots only had calcium to grow into I feel it would cause deficiencies by the time they were fed for the first time.

dramamine

Reason I use full nutes is cause once I transplant I don’t feed them for days until they are dry again.
If the roots only had calcium to grow into I feel it would cause deficiencies by the time they were fed for the first time.
Yeah, that makes sense, but if the coco is only hydrated to a nice fluffy texture, they get a little dribble of straight feed once they're potted anyway. I guess that's why it works well. Good point.

StickyBandit

Yeah, that makes sense, but if the coco is only hydrated to a nice fluffy texture, they get a little dribble of straight feed once they're potted anyway. I guess that's why it works well. Good point.
I might try just the calcium nitrate like you suggested (it's so cheap at farming supplies) and add a little silicic acid for cellular structure while the roots are expanding and to strengthen up the plants structure. It will take a few days for the plant to settle anyway before the full array of nutes is needed