What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Canna coco brick vs bag

Rgd

Veteran
I bought a pile of coarse Jiffy slabs a decade ago

.the first few I bought from different place did not need charging

the pile I bought for cheap gave my test plants the serious “uglies”.. until charged them

with 200 ppm cal nit..then its fine..I still use it..

cfl...KING

Listen my username is from 07 lol
Veteran
Have 120L of coco bricks soaking now. I truly do love my new custom pots only have to fill up to 8in an they are 3gal food grade plastic. going to switch to 18 3gal pots. Fits perfectly under each hood, 3x3 foot print

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Regarding CALMAG - this is an old grower's trope.
No informed cannabis grower should be using calmag in 2023. If your nutrient line can't provide enough calcium and magnesium in their 2 part system, they're just milking you for a 3rd bottle.

Regarding charging your coco- just use your regular nutrient solution at an EC of 1.8-2. At a commercial scale we would get sling bags of coco/perlite, dump a bunch into a bin and wet it down with fertilizer solution. Next, we'd do all of our transplants then feed each pot to runoff. Thats it, works like a charm. At home with the compressed blocks, I use 4-5 gallons of nutrient solution at EC of 2 for expanding the block. After all transplants are done, feed each pot to runoff.

I use salts in a one part so I guess my calmag is the second part.

They are made by two different companies so I don't think that I am a victim of being milked for the extra dime.

I don't use calmag and I see less favorable results than when I do use calmag.

I guess I am just old, but thanks for trying... I'm sorry if I offend anyone but I will continue to use calmag.

To the point of topic, I have never bought bagged coco. The bricks aren't rocket science and the compressed size is much easier to move than the bagged coco.

Ca++

Coco bricks are a nice fall back for me. Bagged coco works out about 27p per litre as opposed to 17p for bricks. But factoring in soaking time and buying calmag - my water is 3:1 and 0.5ec so don’t need it for growing day to day - it’s just not worth the aggro. But nice to have a couple standing by.
We get them now do we? We didn't when I last looked.
Just clean water they say. They're already buffered. It's the cogr slabs, need the special attention.

If they go hydrophobic, you could try a wetting agent. They may never take on water until you do

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Oh I totally missed the name brand part of the title :biglaugh:

Don't mind me... I'm high.

If I couldn't get bricks I would probably switch mediums altogether...

Good luck out there!

Lumpy-Gravy

We get them now do we? We didn't when I last looked.
Just clean water they say. They're already buffered. It's the cogr slabs, need the special attention.

If they go hydrophobic, you could try a wetting agent. They may never take on water until you do
It’s the salty bricks full of coco ‘peat’. They definitely need washing and buffering. I don’t use them anyway anymore. Too much pissing about. I didn’t even know Canna did bricks. Just the slabs that I assume are pretreated like the loose bagged stuff.

LostTribe

Premium user
Whatever I’m feeding with. Usually 5.9ish
If I was to make up solution just for hydrating bucks I’d use 5.6 as it’ll rise in the coco as it drys once planted.
And the 2 gallons is per 20l envelope. With 2 gallons it’ll be nice and fluffy, not soggy or too dry.
Gotta remember this. You feeding tap or RO and how much calmag to wet them?

Latest posts

Latest posts