What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cancel Culture

Absolem

cancel culture, remember?
you're doing it right here, right now ffs.

we in the USA are witnessing the beginning of a color revolution...the Balkanization of the United States under the guise of the 'great reset' and you're quibbling over insults.

big of you i must say!

freedom is at stake. the very freedom that allows you to insult, belittle, harass, and CANCEL another s opinion, correct or not. how dare you think that way!!

blame Trump...you know he brought the covid on...he killed thousands of his likely voters so he wouldn't have to serve again. /s

I had to look up to make sure the sky wasn't falling.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
this thread has gone way off topic, from the election, to mask bickering and general snide comments snipping at each other. totally unproductive and not related to the phenomenon of cancel culture, which is now no longer a mainly left tactic, the right is now predictably, running their own cancel campaigns. thats what happens when you start down these type of paths. it comes round to bite you in the ass every time, one way or another.

sad to see that the election doesn't seem to have helped settle all this infighting and hate on the site. we had hopped that you guys would chill out about politics once it was decided, lol. so naive hehe....

for the guy asking:

Cancel culture: using a online mob to cancel someone's ability to speak and be heard

h.h.

Veteran
Yet we still speak. The only thing new is the internet.

Nothing new about tearing down statues of disgraced leaders.

Much ado about nothing. The show will return next season.

Carry on. Don’t let me stop you. I’m just expressing my own opinion. Two way street and all that.

St. Phatty

Cancel culture: using a online mob to cancel someone's ability to speak and be heard

Corporate culture uses the SLAPP

Strategic Lawsuit against public participation.

They threaten injured patients who speak out against the "doctors" that injured them, and/or their friends & family members.

h.h.

Veteran
Corporate culture uses the SLAPP

Strategic Lawsuit against public participation.

They threaten injured patients who speak out against the "doctors" that injured them, and/or their friends & family members.

Or citizens that voted against them.

h.h.

Veteran
Did you know Asian women make up a very minute section of our workforce?

What a weird way to present a argument.

mowood3479

Veteran
Did you know Asian women make up a very minute section of our workforce?

What a weird way to present a argument.

Ya that’s what a minority means.. I wasn’t and didn’t say there were more Asian women in the workforce than white men...
I said on average they earned more money ...(3rd qtr 2020)

Without making lots more asian babies...or murdering lots of white ones idk how ur going to achieve equity in total population...

Anyway, I just thought it’s an interesting stat considering the patriarchy nonsense we are constantly inundated with.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Four definitions, I'd say boycotting businesses is my best tool: Cracker Barrel, Chick-A-Filet, Hobby Lobby, I don't shop there. Remember Goya, My Pillow?

Calling in
Definition: Speaking to an individual privately about their perceived harmful or problematic actions or opinions. Calling out is seen by some activists as an effective way to create change and reduce harm while allowing an offending individual to learn, grow, and change.
Calling out
Definition: Criticizing an individual or organization publicly, usually on social media.
Boycotting
Definition: Withholding financial support from a company in order to force change within that company’s policies or practices. Once demands have been met, support is resumed.
Canceling
Definition: A collective attempt at ruining the reputation and livelihood of an individual or organization in response to a problematic or harmful action or opinion.

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
:laughing: ..... if you're responding to mowood from last month, sorry but he will not be responding, as you already know, mo's been cancelled! ;)

......B]Canceling[/B]
Definition: A collective attempt at ruining the reputation and livelihood of an individual or organization in response to a problematic or harmful action or opinion.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Moderator assuming I'm trolling MO.

Moderator assuming I'm trolling MO.

:laughing: ..... if you're responding to mowood from last month, sorry but he will not be responding, as you already know, mo's been cancelled! ;)

Canceling

INCORRECT, ('calling out'), CG!
It crossed my mind, but that wasn't the earmark. I took this from article. My emphasis was on protesting, boycotting .
EX:I prefer locally owners businesses, but chains, some of their beliefs? Nope, won't give them my money.

MO has strong emotional feelings.

My reference to CANCEL CULTURE is that it is still strong and vocal. Rand Paul today on THIS WEEK saying the election was "Stolen". Geo S. countered with the truth. Paul still disbelieves (CALL OUT/CALL IN, etc.)

CANCEL CULTURE is a shunning mechanism to entertainers, high profile people or not so much (remember Karen?) too. They've been lambasted!

Even before it had a hash tag("CANCEL CULTURE"), for decades I've been a participant of protests, boycotts. Some of the causes due to public presence changed for the better.

I wanted to redirect, get back on topic, CANCEL CULTURE not talking about Asian Women.

Last edited:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
Four definitions, I'd say boycotting businesses is my best tool: Cracker Barrel, Chick-A-Filet, Hobby Lobby, I don't shop there. Remember Goya, My Pillow?

So you're going to use ICMag as a platform to influence its members to help you ruin the livelihoods of people you don't agree with?

"Cracker Barrel, Chick-A-Filet, Hobby Lobby, I don't shop there. Remember Goya, My Pillow?" - if I'm not mistaken, aren't alla those businesses located mainly in the South (USA) and owned by evangelican Christians?

......... and howz about the livelihoods of alla the innocent peeps working there?

................ not to mention the economy in general, retail/restaurants are already struggling especially with covid!

You say "I don't stop there" - shall we help you bring down the oil industry, Wall Street? :whistling:

It's funny, but alla these 'techniques': Calling in, Calling out, Canceling, shunning, social media campaigns, remind me strongly of all the BULLIES (and their little groups!) I've ever encountered, starting in Middle school on upward, these are the things they do to elevate themselves and control others.

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Here's the article. https://www.wellandgood.com/cancel-culture-examples/

I'm saying, before Cancel Culture really ramped up, I quit using products (MONSANTO, yikes!), or refraining from going to certain establishments where (to me) there was social/economic/ religious right wing references or beliefs that I boycotted any association with Monsanto and others. Man, oh, man!

That's what I, as one person, is doing in this CC. I know they won't go bankrupt because of me, that's not my intention, but to pay for products (and I have to sometimes do research) like Monsanto, Cracker Barrel, and others...they just don't get my business.

I'm not asking anyone to join me. It would be interesting to have a discussion.... others of what of the FOUR areas are as pertaining to post or article.

What/why do they boycott or call out/call in?

In education, rarely yet happened a few times, I'd have to call out behaviors or mind sets in the classroom- we're talking adult learning as well as lovely 7th graders.

I engage with municipal, state, federal representatives to make our state better.

I prefer not to buy (I guess out of habit now vs. taking a stand) products that do harm or they unsaid practices that are offensive. Although inequality and police walk/protests were in our area, due to COVID, I didn't participate.

h.h.

Veteran
Nobody is forcing any of these companies to take political positions. Refusing to buy their goods is a right of the consumer.
If we refuse to buy Chinese goods are we bullying China or are we just enforcing our own rights? Nobody is owed a business.

redlaser

Veteran
as you already know, mo's been cancelled! ;)

“What we’ve got here is, failure to communicate...,

some men.. you just can’t reach.

So.., you get what we had here last week,

which.. is .. the way he wanted it.

Well,.. he gets it!

*Whistleing*

I don’t like it anymore than you men”.

(intro by Strother Martin, from film Cool Hand Luke, on song Civil war by Guns and Roses)