What's new

Can synethic nutrients increase your risk of cancer?

Jayson420

Always hear organic growers talking about how synethic fertilizers can cause cancer. Metals like Cadmium, led and chromium are much higher in synthetic fertilizers.

I'm using synthetic nutrients, so what is your opinion on that? Increasing your risk of cancer or not?

I know synthetics give you more bud weight.:plant grow:

Homebrewer

Veteran
My 'synthetic' nutrients are a lot cleaner than animal waste or the byproducts of slaughter houses which make up the majority of organic fertilizers.

gregor_mendel

A browse through Washington state's fertilizer database will show that manufactured organic nutrients are the worst offenders.

I doubt the folks making their own are having them analyzed.

Sounds like they are talking sh!+

I'm using synthetic nutrients, so what is your opinion on that? Increasing your risk of cancer or not?

My opinion -- (possibly worth $0.02)-

We live in an age of unbridled propaganda, also an age of unparalleled ignorance. I mean no offense by the following observation, its just an observation: the majority of the folks on these forums slept through high school science and are incredibly easily molded by flashy mags in the hydro shops. There are notible exceptions to this observation.

I do not believe that it makes a twiddly tink whether or not your nutes are "synthetic" or "organic", my bet is that they all come out of the ground from the same planet.

Again, my opinion, but if you really want to learn to grow -- anything, then stay out of the hydro shops and learn from real horticulturists. Learn about "integrated pest management" instead of just throwing chemistry at each bug that wanders by.

Learn that a fair amount of hydro shop 'booster' additives are NOT food grade and were never designed for human consumption regardless of how big the rosebud gets.

Here lies Les More
Shot dead with a 44
No Les
No More

then again... Les is always More :tiphat:

Peace

W

wilbur

it's probably more accurate to say that a lifestyle that includes synthetic nutrients in all the things we ingest will cause cancer.

why isolate dope nutrients from all the other synthetics in our lives?

MrBlue2

If eating organic food lowers your risk of cancer. I would think that organic pot would also lower your risk of cancer. I think it has more to do with the pesticides then the nutes themselves. I also feel like flushing plays some role.

Also some organic nutes do come from slaughter house by products. there are however other lines of organic nutrients that are fish based and yet others that are completely plant based (Veganic). I like bio canna, its completly veganic, it doesnt stink like shit, and you dont have to worry about catching mad cow disease.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
unnatural levels of nutrient load such as high p in tobacco are linked to cancers

very common in modern agriculture because this is what happens when you force feed rhizospheres ions, regardless of source

in natural environments this doesn't happen

I know, I know, rocket science

the anti-organics propaganda in this thread is ignorant at best

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
All I know is I grow totally organic, and a buddy uses the miracle grow type stuff, peters what ev. His bud while looking very nice tends to leave a burning sensation on the tongue and back of your throat, its not like a hot pepper burn a mild type burning sensation, and then there's the cough. My bud has no burn again there's no burn. I can only surmise its the ferts thats the difference,cause I get all my cuts from him so we are growing the exact same plants and have been for the last couple years. So it all comes down to what we feed, I use a vegn bloom food and that the only fert thats I use. He uses Hawaiian Bloom food 5 bucks a containers mixes up green. He has used Floralishous but was bitching about the cost versus the cheap stuff and hey you get the same results. Looking at the spelling I shouldn't drink whiskey smoke and type.

Homebrewer

Veteran
If someone is truly worried about cancer, they probably shouldn't be smoking anything in the first place. Additionally, I'd be much more worried about my family history or our western diet being the root of cancer, not what fertilizer we chose to use in our gardens. Be smart people.

Sinkyone

Studies from the National Cancer Institute and Purdue University have linked chemical fertilizers to cancer, ADD and Alzheimer's disease in humans. Using them on your buds absolutely increases your risk. However just because something is organic it does not mean it is non-toxic or safe. Use your judgment and don't just go by lables.

Nader

Veteran
If it's the polonium-rich shit they use to grow most tobacco, then absofuckinglutely. I think I'd rather smoke tobacco grown in pure enriched uranium.... yeah maybe not.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
If someone is truly worried about cancer, they probably shouldn't be smoking anything in the first place. Additionally, I'd be much more worried about my family history or our western diet being the root of cancer, not what fertilizer we chose to use in our gardens. Be smart people.

there are no scientifically founded links between smoking cannabis and cancer (and trust me they been trying to find one)

so no smoking cannabis doesn't factor into my mind when I think about cancer

however since High P has been linked to cancer in smoked tobacco I do concern myself with that

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
since not everyone seems to understand that organic is more than just a source get past source

fro example: organic or inorganically sourced nitrogen in excess is excessive none the less

a true organic environment self regulated and thus bio-toxicity because of excess is avoided

Nader

Veteran
Yeah, it makes me sad thinking about all those nasty spliffs getting rolled. What a travesty to our beloved Cannabis.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
from how I understand it, all organic needs to be turned to inorganic before a plant can uptake it.. I did hear spurr once say some organic N can be up-taken though???

second, organic does not mean cleaner ( yes some products are very 'clean' though ). as someone said, look at the Oregon database of some nutrients, organic and non.
http://oda.state.or.us/dbs/heavy_metal/search.lasso

I suggest if your worried. lower your smoking intake / water last 2-3 weeks / water cure your bud / and possibly just do hash / vaporizer ...

I am not saying it's worthless to care, but if you go down this route, boy is there a million things to change in our lives now.. a fun book for chemicals is silent spring.

zenoonez

Veteran
Studies from the National Cancer Institute and Purdue University have linked chemical fertilizers to cancer, ADD and Alzheimer's disease in humans. Using them on your buds absolutely increases your risk. However just because something is organic it does not mean it is non-toxic or safe. Use your judgment and don't just go by lables.

Would like to see links to those studies please.

mg75

worthless thread.
how can anyone come to scientific conclusions if no research has been done?
the argument gets more dumb when people start involving their own beliefs on nutrients, plants, veganism, and how they may believe the universe works. sometimes it takes many years for side effects to show up. how would one know if no studies have been done? the cannabis cultivation world is a very grey area.

i don't get it...

whodare

Veteran
ok this is not a belief but a fact...

aside from a few "organically available" nutrients, mainly dissolved organic nitrogen (DON), the 17 essential nutrients must be in an INorganic ionic form for a plant to uptake...

this means that no matter how much bat or worm shit you throw at you plants you will get nowhere until the bacteria and fungus in your root zone break down organic material into its INorganic ionic form...

salts people step out of the stone age...

go to a reputable source such as jr peters and use pure salts that have a lower heavy metal content than almost any "organic" nutrient and you wont go back...

i dont bash organic growers though cause there is more than one way to skin a cat and the intentions are good the information is just bad...

and source is very important plant based organic nutrients are a safer bet than animal byproducts, especially fish extracts...

edit: furthermore i dont condone the use of pgrs or anything outside of the essential 17 aside from some fulvic acid...

Latest posts

Latest posts