What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can Not Shake This Calcium Deficiency/Lockout For The Life Of Me!! Why???

DiverDave

I have had it happen several times and could not get rid of it and I tried many things.

I finally transplanted into larger containers and it went away.
I now always use 3-5 gallons of coco and my defiency problems have not came back.
If I use pure coco,no perlite,I let surface dry 2-4 inches deep a few times before feeding to get a healthy rootball then I can start feeding as many times as I want per day.
Letting the top dry 2-4 inches down the first few feedings can really help keep slime and root diseases at bay.

Zblade , are we talking DWC ? 2 to 4 inches down ? how deep are your net pots? And if your not using net pots .. then how do you suspend the coco ?

DD

Rabbi

Hey Rabbi, ive been doing ALOT of research lately because I too am using aeroponic/dwc and got root rot lately. Our problems will be solved with some pond-zyme from API.Just ordered mine online. The guy who used it had great success killing all the bad stuff and you can start seeing changes after just 24 hours. He had pictures and all to back up his claim so it looks promising. no more rot....:woohoo:
Aero and benne is the shizznit.

Let me know how it turns out. I just switched from dwc to aero yesterday. I'm currently using Piranha and Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungus. Results have been mixed so far.

beta

Veteran
Let me know how it turns out. I just switched from dwc to aero yesterday. I'm currently using Piranha and Southern AG Garden Friendly Fungus. Results have been mixed so far.

That's because your problem isn't at the roots. Your plants cannot breathe. Living organisms need to breathe. :biggrin:

Rabbi

That's because your problem isn't at the roots. Your plants cannot breathe. Living organisms need to breathe. :biggrin:

You are persistent I'll give ya that lol.

Pythium has for sure been a big problem lately. Whether it's the main problem I've been having I'm not sure yet but either way it needs to be tackled.

I'm starting to think I've been looking at things backwards. I use to think I had unhealthy roots because I had unhealthy plants. Now I'm thinking I had unhealthy plants because I had unhealthy roots.

For the record I have plugged my co2 back in as well. Have it set a 1000ppm now.

little-soldier

the necrosis On my plants leaves that looked like a calcium defficiency seems to have stopped. Only problem is my plants were 2 weeks shy from harvest which means there is no new root growth at this stage so i cant tell for sure from looking at the roots. The browning will never go away no matter what you do. Ill have to use it throughout my next run to make sure its doing its job. Only drawback i saw from using this powdered barley stuff is that it has settled at the bottom of my rez and its been over a week. If its breaking down, its taking its sweet ass time. Although i do have a recirculating pump, it just pushes the water up from the center of my 1000l reservoir 30seconds every 5minutes. When i first put the pond-zyme, i had the pump running and there was barley floating around everywhere in the water. I was scared that the barley was goanna clog my filter and cause extra pressure on my jet pump. I guess its a good thing the pump stops for 5 minutes, it gave time for the barley to settle at the bottom. I called API to see how long it takes for the barley to break down. They told me about 2 weeks and that i can try their liquid version called ecofix. I might try it eventually. He said if i didnt want barley floating around to put it in the filter(pond filter which is not the same as a aeroponic filter) as it will break down over time. thinking of putting it in a tea bag(filter) maybe that will work. Maybe you guys have a better idea. I really dont like the idea of having particles floating around possibly clogging my filter or worst, the sprayers. Thats all for now. Hope this helped my friends

gmanwho

Veteran
You are persistent I'll give ya that lol.

Pythium has for sure been a big problem lately. Whether it's the main problem I've been having I'm not sure yet but either way it needs to be tackled.

I'm starting to think I've been looking at things backwards. I use to think I had unhealthy roots because I had unhealthy plants. Now I'm thinking I had unhealthy plants because I had unhealthy roots.

For the record I have plugged my co2 back in as well. Have it set a 1000ppm now.

Healthy roots healthy fruits..... well unless u got leaf bugs, and or a handful of other unwanted variables. hope you can clear this up!!!

be well man!!

little-soldier

I remember reading somewhere from a reliable source that plants grow better/faster with CO2 levels of 1100ppm. I think it was from jackmayoffer. Although i have never tried CO2 before you don't have to take my word for it but maybe his.

Rabbi

CO2 for sure wasn't the issue. It's definitely Pythium.

In my many years growing I've never had or seen Pythium before, so totally didn't see it coming until it was super bad already. Which of course makes it way harder to fight back from. Giving it a go anyway.

I'm battling it now with beneficials(sterile did nothing for me). Things seem to be heading in the right direction finally, but far from victory yet.

At least I know what the actual problem is now though. That's half the battle.

beta

Veteran
CO2 for sure wasn't the issue. It's definitely Pythium.

I think your C02 gen is making ethelyne, which is a common problem with gas-based burners. How did you eliminated C02 as the problem if you didn't try a different C02 source and refuse to bring in fresh air?

EllieGrows

Veteran
I dealt with similar problems for years for me it was my inexperience to accept that I was battling more than one problem. I also moved to a new environment, new construction and wanted to blame everything offgassing, new water source almost identical problems to you. Best of luck ditch the burners, and make sure you have adjusted feeding for new brighter more ideal environment that you have made for yourself. I tried hydroguard, amoung countless other biological thousands of dollars in treatments tring to kill "fusarium". The solution for me was to completely stop using burners and use bottled co2 its not as cheap as propane but safer and no problems of ethylene or oxygen displacement. I also had to significantly up my feeding and calcium amounts to play nicer with my well water. Dont give up you will dial in this new grow just keep at it!!!

-Ellie

Hydro8

When ever I fought Pythium it had a hidden colony somewhere, a vinyl tube, Rockwol cube, open drain, etc, some hidden spot it had established a strong base to keep coming back from.

Lots of fresh air helps, DWC puts the surrounding air into the water so the fresher it is the harder it is for funk to live and reproduce.

Rabbi

I think your C02 gen is making ethelyne, which is a common problem with gas-based burners. How did you eliminated C02 as the problem if you didn't try a different C02 source and refuse to bring in fresh air?
Ok well I won't rule that completely out of the question yet until I make it through an entire crop without pythium. I'm throwing some plants out into flower tonight so we'll see how things go.

Their is absolutely no doubt I'm fighting really bad pythium though. So either way I need to get rid of the pythium first before I can for sure tell if their is an actual co2/ethelyne problem. I'll report back with the results, good or bad.

Last edited:

Rabbi

When ever I fought Pythium it had a hidden colony somewhere, a vinyl tube, Rockwol cube, open drain, etc, some hidden spot it had established a strong base to keep coming back from.

Lots of fresh air helps, DWC puts the surrounding air into the water so the fresher it is the harder it is for funk to live and reproduce.

I believe the pythium I have stemmed from fungus gnats. I've had fungus gnats several times in my old place but was never left the gift of pythium. I'm assuming that was because of the high chlorine content that was in the city water. Out here in the country their is no chlorine added to the town water I'm using.

I have changed my set up now, specifically to bring in more air. I think it's helping but not enough to over come it on it's own. Hopefully it will help prevent it though in the future.

Last edited:

Rabbi

I dealt with similar problems for years for me it was my inexperience to accept that I was battling more than one problem. I also moved to a new environment, new construction and wanted to blame everything offgassing, new water source almost identical problems to you. Best of luck ditch the burners, and make sure you have adjusted feeding for new brighter more ideal environment that you have made for yourself. I tried hydroguard, amoung countless other biological thousands of dollars in treatments tring to kill "fusarium". The solution for me was to completely stop using burners and use bottled co2 its not as cheap as propane but safer and no problems of ethylene or oxygen displacement. I also had to significantly up my feeding and calcium amounts to play nicer with my well water. Dont give up you will dial in this new grow just keep at it!!!-Ellie
Thx man, I will keep battling away until i get it.

For myself the pythium starts in my veg area which isn't even in the same building as my flowering and co2, so I know it's for sure not a co2 thing causing it there. However once I get the pythium under control if I still see problems I'll go a head and remove the co2 burner and bring fresh air in. I really believe the problem was pythium this whole time though. Soon find out for sure if all goes well hopefully.

beta

Veteran
The solution for me was to completely stop using burners and use bottled co2 its not as cheap as propane but safer and no problems of ethylene or oxygen displacement.

I tried telling him but dude is NOT hearing it. :biggrin:

I'm still absolutely befuddled why he won't even TRY a C02 tank, it's an inexpensive and stone cold easy way to test this perfectly reasonable theory. I guess he'd rather chase the ghost of pathogens past....

Rabbi

I tried telling him but dude is NOT hearing it. :biggrin:

I'm still absolutely befuddled why he won't even TRY a C02 tank, it's an inexpensive and stone cold easy way to test this perfectly reasonable theory. I guess he'd rather chase the ghost of pathogens past....

Because that "ghost of pathogens past" turned out to be super bad root rot in the present.

And it's not because of a co2 burner issue. If I chased that any further I'd be chasing ghosts of non-existent problems.

Like I mentioned earlier the pythium originates in my veg area which isn't even in the same building as the burner, so it's obviously not the cause.

Once I clear up the pythium in my veg area, if I still have issues out in the shop I will try fresh air or a co2 tank. I highly suspect I won't have to though.

Last edited: