What's new

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

• No

Votes: 53 9.1%
  • Yes, 250 watts

Votes: 40 6.8%
  • Yes, 400 watts

Votes: 134 22.9%
  • Yes, 600 watts

Votes: 212 36.2%
  • Yes, 1K and up

Votes: 146 25.0%

• Total voters

budalicious

couldn't the LED lights be taped in the top of a hut. The bottom of the light emitting in the hut and the top half then emitting the heat into the outside room on top of the hut?
Obviously you would have to cut a hole the size of the light in the top of the hut.

alkalien

couldn't the LED lights be taped in the top of a hut. The bottom of the light emitting in the hut and the top half then emitting the heat into the outside room on top of the hut?
Obviously you would have to cut a hole the size of the light in the top of the hut.

I actually do that in my PC growbox, problem is, you have to limit air extraction so your temperature doesn't fall too deep :)

SaltyCity

Great thread i just read the whole thing from start to finish lol these LED debates are always interesting to read. good to see people are being reasonable about LEDs now, the initial hype was a little over the top, but the harsh criticism isn't there like it used to be (other than the price).

Bottom line LEDs do produce heat, any light no matter how efficient it is will put out heat its simple thermodynamics. The bigger the panel the more heat (obviously) i currently have 2200w of LED in one room and it raises the temp about ten degrees. The need for cooling will definitely be there, how much purely depends on how much lighting is in the room, i am on my first grow so i can't really compare what 2200w of HID would be compared to my LED panels.

There are many more benefits that outweigh the cost of LED so i myself have invested in them after lots of research, anyways theres my two cents. Check out my current grow I'm new here also my first grow 2200 watts of LED total in one room!

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=226889

uptosumpn

Veteran
(other than the price)
The ONLY real reason left why the get bashed the way the do..
Bottom line LEDs do produce heat, any light no matter how efficient it is will put out heat its simple thermodynamics. The bigger the panel the more heat (obviously) i currently have 2200w of LED in one room and it raises the temp about ten degrees. The need for cooling will definitely be there, how much purely depends on how much lighting is in the room
That statement right there has been the most important answer/info I needed to hear! +++REP for that! I am currently researching LED's hard for a large area, somewhat like you and I may have it dwn to the Penetrator Line...(wicked 60degree lenses) thinking about 4 of their 345w panels,(ea equievlant to a 600hps) in a Growlab GL145L tent.(36sf) If you have 2200w of LED and raises your temp 10 degrees,(what are your temps btw?) then I should be stellar with half that wattage?! 2 409cfm in-line fans connected to filters with four 6" fans,(for air-circulation) should be enough for keeping the temps in under 80??
There are many more benefits that outweigh the cost of LED so i myself have invested in them after lots of research,
Yea! FLIR, Lower electricity bills, cooler enviorment and of course FROSTIER BUDZ:bump:to name a few...

SaltyCity

welcome to ICMAG SaltyCity :wave:

The ONLY real reason left why the get bashed the way the do..

That statement right there has been the most important answer/info I needed to hear! +++REP for that! I am currently researching LED's hard for a large area, somewhat like you and I may have it dwn to the Penetrator Line...(wicked 60degree lenses) thinking about 4 of their 345w panels,(ea equievlant to a 600hps) in a Growlab GL145L tent.(36sf) If you have 2200w of LED and raises your temp 10 degrees,(what are your temps btw?) then I should be stellar with half that wattage?! 2 409cfm in-line fans connected to filters with four 6" fans,(for air-circulation) should be enough for keeping the temps in under 80??

Yea! FLIR, Lower electricity bills, cooler enviorment and of course FROSTIER BUDZ:bump:to name a few...

@GP7 thanks man you seem to be a huge LED enthusiast which has probably been a hard thing, when new things come around people don't take well to to it hope it hasn't worn you down too much lol. I like all of the links you have in your sig all of them were very informative.

@uptosumpn, hey man thanks for the reps! my temps stay anywhere from 80 to 85 F depending on what is running in the room i have the room divided with a 4x4 also in veg. I also have a dehumidifier in the room that can heat it up quite a bit when its running so if they're is an increase in heat its due to that. you're welcome to check out my grow if you have any other questions let me know.

LED is great, however there are third party knock offs, cheaply made out of date overpriced units that give new customers a bad taste in the mouth.

Maybe this is causing the quality units at the top to artificially inflate the prices, who knows, until the market has quality brands out there that can be looked to, to directly compete with each other and drive down prices, we won't see a critical mass hit the market.

Those EVO90 V3s they are using a strategy I haven't seen before, even spacing of finely tuned nodes, for multiple layers of overlapping light cones, whereas most of the conventional rectangular one are putting a super intense ultra overlaid light cone in the center.

If his numbers were right, language barrier not withstanding that is pretty amazing, I have to admit I thought a factor in Mr. X and the unit above was that the entire thing is a heatsink, therefore the LED units should be operating at a very low temp.

I haven't read anything about LED in about a year so this is all very interesting, glad to see so much progress be made.

C

CannaBuilding

When growing with LED, everything changes, feeding frequency, types of ferts to use etc. Most people that go to LED and get bad results blame the LEDs, only if you get some shonky LED from china with the wrong spectrum then yes, blame the LED.

But when using a quality LED grow lights with the right spectrum and the grower gets a bad result, its the grower not the LED.

Most of the LED problems arise with people who grow in soil or coco (high water retaining medium), I will bet my bottom dollar that they overwatered or watered to often, when using LEDs, i water my newly started clones which have been transplanted into 2 litre pots onces every 2-3 days for the first 2 weeks, and i then increase the water frequency to 1 - 2 days (depending on how light the pot is), if growing under HID i'd have to water every day or otherday.

LED growing needs some tweaking, but when you get your garden dialed in, the rewards out number HID growing, Currently Running 535 total watts of LED and i dont even need to turn the air con on during summer nights, only during summer days to cool grow room down to 21c, when using a 400watt Son-t argo HID, had to turn the air con on to run it in summer, and even on winter days, Could only run it during winter nights when the temps had fallen to 10c outside. LED grown buds are much more potent than 400watt HID grown buds from teh same strain, Must be the cause they have a high amount of UV-A which LEDS produce between 300 - 400nm spectrum.

Overall you might have to dish out a huge investment, but the electricity saving alone makes up for it after 1-2 years of growing.

Peace all :)

Herborizer

Veteran
For me to believe there is an energy savings, I will want to see post after post claiming at least 1.2gpw. Without at least 20% energy savings, the upfront and the eventual replacement costs are just too much for me. Better to see 1.5gpw+ so it's abundantly clear.

From what I have seen, there isn't much of any energy savings. We need to see a 300w led produce 450g, etc.

tenthirty

At 38 cent a kwh, in the summer time here, just the AC use in a couple of months will pay for the difference in price. Not to mention the lower profile to keep leo away.

Herborizer

Veteran

I didn't miss the references to th mr x thread. Let's see more like that. Don't get me wrong, his results seem nice. Though, when only one person has ever got the results led's are supposed to be, with some mystery brand and model of led that most people wouldn't be able to get, forgive me for being a skeptic.

Let's see those results repeated by several people. Also, with a led product that people can buy.

SaltyCity

I didn't miss the references to th mr x thread. Let's see more like that. Don't get me wrong, his results seem nice. Though, when only one person has ever got the results led's are supposed to be, with some mystery brand and model of led that most people wouldn't be able to get, forgive me for being a skeptic.

Let's see those results repeated by several people. Also, with a led product that people can buy.

I couldn't agree more with herborizor's skepticism. I'm not taking anything away from Mr. X's skills but I want to see a modest grower get 1.5 gpw with those lights with similar conditions for me to take them seriously.

Herborizer

Veteran
At 38 cent a kwh, in the summer time here, just the AC use in a couple of months will pay for the difference in price. Not to mention the lower profile to keep leo away.

A lot of us don't run AC. I also live in an area with those kind of prices for electricity. I really really want LED's, plasmas, or some other emerging efficient grow light to work! I would love to save money and help the environment with less carbon footprint.

I always come back to the same place with this though. I grow in a 5x5 tent with a 600w ballast, xxxl hood, and a 600w Mh bulb for veg and hps bulb for flower. I produce about 1gpw in this setup.

Once I can get a LED that will fill the same space, produce 600g, and the cost results in savings over Time period of not more than 5 years, I will then be ready to buy that technology.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
the mr x leds are available retail to the world, so they can be had. a couple of ICMAG members have bought some... i can tell you where to buy if you want to PM me...

as for 1 gpw, most CFL and HID growers don't get that. you are getting that so i understand where you are coming from, but check out this thread LED Grams per Watt.

About half of what i have documented are 1 gpw grows...

knna

1.2g/W is a threshold many people achieve when using good LEDs.

I always had worked with LEDs of good efficiency, and people using them usually goes over 1.2g/W. Some people have reported me a little below that, some case still below 1 g/W, but the huge majority of cases reports around 1.2g/W (and up to 1.9 g/W). Cases with exceptionally low yield have been linked to poor genetics and cold conditions.

I always try to relate their results with their previous results using conventional lighting. On the cases with both info is available, in general improvement is about 50% and over. Generally people yielding about 0.7g/W under HPS goes to 1.2g/W with good LEDs. I would say those figures are the most typical. Using same LEDs, good growers with good strains (this is an essential point) usually goes to 1.4-1.7g/W and there are cases too reaching 1.9g/W.

Maybe my absolute figures (both for HPS and LED) are low compared to forum reports, where people tend to give figures rounded to high (some times on purpose, I believe most times unconsciously). In personal communication, ego interfere less and I ask my friends to weight strictly and dry well so I can have a reference somewhat comparable. Because its not about who yield more, but an info required to improve spectrum.

PS: I take into account just LED power in my figures, not including conversion losses or other ones (as fans, which I usually advice against).

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
I am a lackadaisical grower.

I feel concerned just a little over the grams per watt every other grower in the world seems to get. Except me.
In this last year I have averaged .37 grams per watt.

I posted because?...

The test room is being converted to LED from UVB. I have the old numbers and the test room is within 10% of the same square footage. The same clones will be budded.

Waiting is hard, I keep wanting to post what I think will happen. 99% chance of being wrong stops me.
Good, bad, or indifferent, something will be posted when it happens. Waiting is hard, did I say that already? And I am sure the holiday's will be blamed for any slow ship times, not that it's late yet, but waiting is hard.

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
1.2g/W is a threshold many people achieve when using good LEDs.

I always had worked with LEDs of good efficiency, and people using them usually goes over 1.2g/W. Some people have reported me a little below that, some case still below 1 g/W, but the huge majority of cases reports around 1.2g/W (and up to 1.9 g/W). Cases with exceptionally low yield have been linked to poor genetics and cold conditions.

I always try to relate their results with their previous results using conventional lighting. On the cases with both info is available, in general improvement is about 50% and over. Generally people yielding about 0.7g/W under HPS goes to 1.2g/W with good LEDs. I would say those figures are the most typical. Using same LEDs, good growers with good strains (this is an essential point) usually goes to 1.4-1.7g/W and there are cases too reaching 1.9g/W.

Maybe my absolute figures (both for HPS and LED) are low compared to forum reports, where people tend to give figures rounded to high (some times on purpose, I believe most times unconsciously). In personal communication, ego interfere less and I ask my friends to weight strictly and dry well so I can have a reference somewhat comparable. Because its not about who yield more, but an info required to improve spectrum.

PS: I take into account just LED power in my figures, not including conversion losses or other ones (as fans, which I usually advice against).

thanks for joining the discussion knna... your very informed opinion is always welcome :respect:

I am a lackadaisical grower.

I feel concerned just a little over the grams per watt every other grower in the world seems to get. Except me.
In this last year I have averaged .37 grams per watt.

I posted because?...

The test room is being converted to LED from UVB. I have the old numbers and the test room is within 10% of the same square footage. The same clones will be budded.

Waiting is hard, I keep wanting to post what I think will happen. 99% chance of being wrong stops me.
Good, bad, or indifferent, something will be posted when it happens. Waiting is hard, did I say that already? And I am sure the holiday's will be blamed for any slow ship times, not that it's late yet, but waiting is hard.

can't wait to see this grow... i think you are going to pleasantly surprised. :good:

Latest posts

Latest posts