What's new

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

Can LED's do a pound or better per harvest?

• No

Votes: 53 9.1%
  • Yes, 250 watts

Votes: 40 6.8%
  • Yes, 400 watts

Votes: 134 22.9%
  • Yes, 600 watts

Votes: 212 36.2%
  • Yes, 1K and up

Votes: 146 25.0%

• Total voters
yeah that good ol 125 dollar colling system cost, stilll looking at what 700-1300 dollars in my pocket, ill just buy the fan n extra bulbs year n save money, led light are no more efficient via there spectrum tailored bulbs, 400 watt hps pound yeilds are all over the threads and thats not even vertical circular guys with there 1.5 gpw ratio playfeild that there on. so what do u pay for? every room needs a fan for fresh air regardless right, and leds put out heat they have too, there not that lumen to watt efficient, leds need to drop about 87 percent of the sticker and the companies will get rich over night. there great lights just impractical.

I paid for the quality of the smoke I get from my 15 spectrum led that for some reason that defies your logic produces better trics than a 1k hps, and I feel that quality more than makes up for price, period. I grow organically, don't have to add snow storm ultra or any other "bloom" additives or any other snake oil, just water, soil, and some killer weed! Sure, I would love for them to drop the prices, but it's a little more complicated of a light than an hps. It will come, in time, hell - when I first started growing you werent paying the prices you are now for hps, either!

For your edification: MXgrower uses UFO's and gets 1 gpw. He grows 9 plants at a time in a staggered harvest and he grows 4 foot tall plants, with UFO's! If you want to look at the thread just google mxgrower, one of the most read threads on a different forum.

uptosumpn

Veteran
ok you led pro's....I'm def interested in LED's.....question/advice.......I live in a warm/hot climate and these sound promising for that alone, but the thing that really got my attention is the little to NO IR radiating heat that wont be detected by FLIR!! <<That to me is worth the jacked up cost.....MY SENSE OF SECURITY!!! But hell your telling me I wiil save on my electricity bills too???!! WICKED!!!

I currently have a 600hps that I use in a tent that is around 17sf. with four 6500k 2' sunblaze T5's in ea corner. (yeah its hot..avg. temps are around 85 with 2 6" fans for air circulation and of course 409cfm exhaust fan, not to mention the portable 12000btu A/C needed to keep the ambient room temps @ 75.....lotta watts being used) anywayz I want it cooler in the tent. I avg. around a pound @ harvest in my perpetual crop but thats with 16-18 AUTOFLOWERING plants in 2gal pots and I live in a section of the country that has those bullshit draconian laws as far as plant numbers go......BUT!!! since these lights has no IR heat sig , fuck FLIR & plant numbers!!!!! LOL! So here is my situation, I am gonna go SOG in that space with 32 plants on my next run<<in my current set-up if I run 32 plants sog under my 600hps with my magnum 6 xxxl reflector It will give me almost 1oz per plant, maybe more, which of course gives me 2lbs @ harvest......So with all that said, will 1 of these LED's be enough to get the coverage needed to get 2oz per plant???? OR would i need 2 of em'?? *(I FEEL YA wannatokeNbone ON THE PRICE, BUT SHIT, 1 HARVEST WILL PAY FOR THESE LIGHTS!) thus giving me 4lbs @ harvest??? <OMG that would be so effin wicked!!!! To me it makes a hella of a lotta sense to get this type of light especially if it will cut my power usage in half, maybe more, keep my grow room cooleR, NO FLIR, MORE POTENT/FROSTIER GANJA!!!!! BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY MORE YEILD!!!???? ;) COME ON MAN!!! JMO

BTW, I would make a bit of $ by selling all that extra shit i wouldnt have to use anymore....reflector, exhaust fan, portable A/C, ect....sounds like a win/win....can u say craiglist....

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
ok you led pro's....I'm def interested in LED's.....question/advice.......I live in a warm/hot climate and these sound promising for that alone, but the thing that really got my attention is the little to NO IR radiating heat that wont be detected by FLIR!! <<That to me is worth the jacked up cost.....MY SENSE OF SECURITY!!! But hell your telling me I wiil save on my electricity bills too???!! WICKED!!!

I currently have a 600hps that I use in a tent that is around 17sf. with four 6500k 2' sunblaze T5's in ea corner. (yeah its hot..avg. temps are around 85 with 2 6" fans for air circulation and of course 409cfm exhaust fan, not to mention the portable 12000btu A/C needed to keep the ambient room temps @ 75.....lotta watts being used) anywayz I want it cooler in the tent. I avg. around a pound @ harvest in my perpetual crop but thats with 16-18 AUTOFLOWERING plants in 2gal pots and I live in a section of the country that has those bullshit draconian laws as far as plant numbers go......BUT!!! since these lights has no IR heat sig , fuck FLIR & plant numbers!!!!! LOL! So here is my situation, I am gonna go SOG in that space with 32 plants on my next run<<in my current set-up if I run 32 plants sog under my 600hps with my magnum 6 xxxl reflector It will give me almost 1oz per plant, maybe more, which of course gives me 2lbs @ harvest......So with all that said, will 1 of these LED's be enough to get the coverage needed to get 2oz per plant???? OR would i need 2 of em'?? *(I FEEL YA wannatokeNbone ON THE PRICE, BUT SHIT, 1 HARVEST WILL PAY FOR THESE LIGHTS!) thus giving me 4lbs @ harvest??? <OMG that would be so effin wicked!!!! To me it makes a hella of a lotta sense to get this type of light especially if it will cut my power usage in half, maybe more, keep my grow room cooleR, NO FLIR, MORE POTENT/FROSTIER GANJA!!!!! BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY MORE YEILD!!!???? ;) COME ON MAN!!! JMO

BTW, I would make a bit of $ by selling all that extra shit i wouldnt have to use anymore....reflector, exhaust fan, portable A/C, ect....sounds like a win/win....can u say craiglist....

well i'm no expert, but i am pretty sure you aren't going to double your yield just by switching to LED. in fact, i would say you should just try to maintain your current yield and tweak it to make it better with the LEDs. However, as you can see in this thread the potential is there.

i would say with 600 watts of some LEDs you should get similar results to your HPS.

SOTF420 can speak to those kinda of numbers or better with his Lumigrow units.

You can also see what others have done in this thread.

I would go with black dogs newer 3w/5w leds with 15 spectrums and ir/uv - the same herb you think is good now will be stellar, bro. Can't be beat on the market today, but pricey - I use the bd700, 662 watts and it definitely does the trick - a recent harvest I got a cola that was 17 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter (hdd just died or I'd post some pics - had just finished uploading the last of the harvest pics from my camera when the drive failed, dammit! using wifes laptop to type this). You could possibly even increase your yield with this type of light just by the increase in resin production and tighter buds (these definitely produce rockhard buds, bro). I used to grow with a 400 watt mh/hps and this thing just blows it out of the water hands down by far. These have a great spectrum of light that covers the gamut of terpene and trich production, veg and flower.

NeWcS

I am a big supporter and user of LED's but the prices need to start dropping for more people to take them serious. Like the ones listed above; The black dogs look awesome but for the price its hard to swallow.(Awesome warranty though) I love using led's due to the efficiency of light use and low heat. But again, They need to start coming down in price, significantly.

GP73LPC

Veteran
I would go with black dogs newer 3w/5w leds with 15 spectrums and ir/uv - the same herb you think is good now will be stellar, bro. Can't be beat on the market today, but pricey - I use the bd700, 662 watts and it definitely does the trick - a recent harvest I got a cola that was 17 inches long and 4.5 inches in diameter (hdd just died or I'd post some pics - had just finished uploading the last of the harvest pics from my camera when the drive failed, dammit! using wifes laptop to type this). You could possibly even increase your yield with this type of light just by the increase in resin production and tighter buds (these definitely produce rockhard buds, bro). I used to grow with a 400 watt mh/hps and this thing just blows it out of the water hands down by far. These have a great spectrum of light that covers the gamut of terpene and trich production, veg and flower.

i am not familiar with the Black Dog products, but thanks for bringing them up. i have been checking out their website and want to add them to the charts i have in my 'LED Redtailers' thread..

a couple quick questions? where did you get 662 watts? did you use a kill-a-watt?

and a lifetime warranty, really? no other retailer can touch that.

got any pics of what the bd700 can do?

T_B_M

Black Dog looks like more overpriced junk IMO. For one, Cree doesn't make 3W emitters, and they surely don't get up to 2.5W. Epistar doesn't make a 3W diode either, I'll eat my words if you can find one though, I searched their whole site. Why do these LED retailers lie so much? Is it that hard to give actual specs?

More lies, more BS. Found this post on another forum while searching out reviews.

Be careful, the lights break early. I have the bd 700, one bank of lights went out, now I have to come up with 900 up front and he will ship me out a new one and credit me when he receives the old one back, otherwise I have to send it in to get it fixed. He says 1-2 weeks but we all know thats bullshit, more like one or two months at the very earliest. Don't buy black dog, cheap chinese made shit although the design works the lights are made bad and he is wishy washy on the warranty, like he doesn't have enought money to cover what he's selling. Any other led company and I would have had my replacement by now, he is the only one to require you pay up front for your "replacement light". It is one jacked up company. Light is a great design, if he took it to another manufacturer maybe worthwhile, right now trying to finish a grow with a malfunctioning light sucks, almost ready to go buy a hps to finish.

the dude is ripping us off bad, light I paid 1600 for is probably worth maybe 1000 actually, he's making a killing but can't cover his warranty.

%^$# BLACKDOG LED I would go with mike's lights, much better warranty service, more professional operation, he's upgraded to all 3watt leds now, maybe better. Still not 15 spectrums, but I'd rather have something that worked at least the first 3 years I had it, then start to break down, not break down in the first 3 months. I should have gotten a replacement light by now, would have from any other company out there except this one. He'd rather have me run a dangerous light and badmouth his light and his customer service than fix it. Funny how some people are like that.
This is only one review, but a random string going dead means shitty components, plain and simple. There is NO WAY a properly built LED array will die prematurely. Its either a crappy driver, crappy emitters, or both. If anyone has one of these, please take some close-up pics of the LED emitters. I'd like to see what brand they are. More than likely the chinese knock offs I see all over ebay and alibaba. Nothing against the Chinese and Asians, they just don't have the tech. we have in the states. American made emitters are still the best option. Cree, Osram, and Philips lead the pack.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
what im saying is 330 watts hps compares to 330 watts led, 330 watts led does not equal 1k hps. pictures look great tho!

not far off. i reckon LED's yield about 10-15% more (per watt actually used ) than HPS. this will get better for LED's as time goes on and is maybe already better with the highest quality units.

quality wise - well i think a good spectrum LED unit with plenty of far-red etc probably beats HPS for aroma, taste and potency.

yes they're expensive - we all have those things we will pay extra for if we can afford it...

i dont get the appeal of l.e.d's but for a small personal grow, why pay 1000-3000 for lights when u can pay 300? makes no sense im very sorry, u do a 400hps properly or vertical circular it n u got your pound, 400 watts is 400 watts, having a room thats a tad cooler for an extra 2500 hundred dollars seems pointless, and i dont like theads were peeps are trying to sell or hype up technology, comparisons are great though. if theese light werent the price of a used car or a vacation id get some.
well said. a friend tried these expensive led lights then threw them in the garbage..

uptosumpn

Veteran
wow, so as of now it looks like the blackstars and the lumiglow led's are the best...(with cree emitters?) i just need good usa made shyt......again I just have a 4' x 4' space so I;m now dwn to 4 240w blackstars panels or 1 or 2 of the lumiglow 330es??? < both cost too effin much, but security is my FIRST & MOST IMPORTANT issue with my grow....was about to so-call upgrade my 600 to a 1000, but that effin heat sig is gonna be a mutha...even with thermal-shield IR blocker for walls and reflector.....jus dont wanna spend stupid money for a panel that wont perform like or betta than my hps...

GP73LPC

Veteran
i don't think the blackstars are that great, where did you read that?

uptosumpn

Veteran
On another fourm....I'm no expert, (that's why I keep asking ques & doing hella research) but everyone says they are great for the $$$...a 240w panel cost $270 I believe and If i were to go with em for my tent size I would need 4 of em' to get great light coverage....and its still cheaper than 1 lumiglow 330es....<although, I think they are still effin wicked!!
i don't think the blackstars are that great, where did you read that?

GP73LPC

Veteran
well the blackstars only output 135 watts, not 240... so if you run four of those you would really be running about 540 watts... and those are gonna grow weed, just not as efficiently and as well as some others.

i'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. in life i have learned not to buy the cheapest product, because it will not last. most of the time i could not afford the best, so i bought mid-range if you will. i firmly believe that you should invest in a mid priced product to the best. those will be the best bang for the buck in the long run...

just my :2cents:

again, the blackstars will grow, just be aware they aren't what they advertise...

they also only offer a 1 year warranty...

good luck :wave:

uptosumpn

Veteran
well what would you say mid grade is??....as I too believe in u get what u pay for.....and would love to get those lumiglows!!!! just dont have that kind of coin righta now...would 1 of those be enough for a core penetration of 4' x 4'???

420ish

i have two blackstar 180's.they are older design then they show now.they work.i only did 1 run with led only and it made some dank aurora indica.i used three kinds of led in my cabinet on that run.if you are going to do sog,i think the blackstars will be fine.you will still need air extraction in your tent.if you call direct to buy blackstar you will get better price then online at their website or at ebay.i use mine for supplimental light on my 600 hps .i wanted to try vertical and am liking it.i have wasted enough on buying differnt leds since i bought the first gen hid hut ufo.i love using them to veg.someday i might try the newer leds to flower.when my lumatek ballast burns out,that might be the sign to try led again!good luck either way!

Wacky Tobacky

i came here to learn and thats what im doing, if the led compainies are useing this thread to advert n contribute to the icc i dont mean to take away its contribuiton i apologize, my feeling is that spending 2000 grand for a pound of erb is bad businesss, i dont need comments like im troling im just stating the obvious-2000 is alot more then 300 hundred to yeild a pound, led's make no sense........yet.

300 for an hps or 30 for a cfl, are u fools serious? no the comparison is thus 300 for a hps or 2000 for led for the same yeild, thats what u meant to say, im not hobbyiest im a realist, if u want to yeild 15 grams off a 6 dollar cfl up 2 u, or u could spend 175 on leds and yeild the same.

leds are def kick ass, they just arent worth it. and sorry folks but lumens per watt is were its at, and led's put out heat as well, they have to they arent that efficient just spectrum tailored.

new 1000hps bulbs are what 40 bucks once a year, so after my ''extra fans ill need'' and my new bulb once a year at 40 bucks i guess after say 20 years of new bulbs ill be at a total cost thats still 500 dollars cheaper then were u guys are in cost on day one with your l.e.d set up ?? thats 480 in bulbs every ten years fellas, a little sobriety please.

1 pound in led cost what 2000?

2 pounds=4000?

hps=300 for one pound
hps=600 for two pounds
etc...... see were this is going folks?

wow dude i think you totally missed the point of LED. The biggest appeal it has to people is the ability to be stealth. that is the biggest turn on for LEDs IMO. less heat, less noise, no IR detection, more efficient power.

if your concerned about only money and yield then obviously LED isn't for you since your looking for the biggest bang for your buck cause your out to make a profit.

i remember looking into LEDs 3 years ago and they were all crap back then. im getting back into growing and looking for the latest and greatest and LEDs have come along way. its only going to get better too.