What's new

Can i grow with a 100 degree temp?

what would happen if i do? i know i am suppose to keep it in the 80 range but i dont have a air-cooled hood light. anyone ever grow wit that kind of temp with good results?

edit: its a 400watt hps in a 2x3 wit 5ft tall. its a closet

thccalyxes

In my oppinion, cooltubes are overrated. 100 degrees (sure hope you are talking about fahrenheit.. hehe) Is to much... Perhaps you could ventilate your room more, to get the temperatures down.... good luck

Marshall

maybe some strains would tolerate it. My room hit 99 the other day due to my forgetting to turn the AC back on after some maintenance. After 6-7 hours I had some leaves go crispy.

This thread discusses why outside plants can tolerate higher heat levels. Maybe you can get some ideas.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=182082

Your best bet would be to vent the room or use a smaller light like a T5 till you can get the right equipment

ibjamming

Veteran
If you do have to grow in the heat...say an outdoor metal shed... Be sure to go lights on at night when it's cooler...and lights off during the heat of the day.

They don't like it, they'll sometimes show deficiencies, but they will grow and they will give you some very decent bud. It's certainly better to do a grow under less than ideal conditions than to forgo growing all together.

BTW, that bud under my name...it's from my first grow, years ago, grown outside in a metal shed...in 100F temps. Probably closer to 110F by the time I harvested them. Not the best bud I ever grew, but not a waste of time either. Sometime you have to put up with certain conditions and get the best you can from them.

Ventilation is the key...LOTS of fresh air. I have a 10x14 shed...lot's of air in there. I don't think it would work in a small confined area unless you could move a lot of air through, frequent changeovers.

Good luck!

O

OGfarmerted

none of my grows have under gone under the 85 degree range. on average im up around 87 and do fine, you just need good ventilation and air movement, if i didnt run three fans and keep the door to the room open during the day it would reach 100 easily.
plants stop photosynthesizing at really high temps and 100 is way too high for any extended period of time, an short burst of high heat can tax it but not kill it. try to never go above 90.

"You can drive a car with your feet if you want to, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea." 100 is pretty high. I assume your growing in soil..? A hydro system might not handle the temps so well. As stated, "it's not ideal, but not a waste of time either." Fire up some fans, watch your humidity levels, and if you can add some CO2. It may help your girls breathe better in the heat and reduce their stress levels. Also, are you vegging or flowering?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
As TwistedTommy points out CO2 helps plants endure higher temperatures and keep on photosynthin'. Just don't tell that to a AGW cheerleader.

In my experience, plants can take very high temps as long as they have no other significant stresses to deal with. Fans blowing directly on plants increases their transpiration rate, which is something plants in high heat do NOT want. Just enough circulation to resupply the precious CO2 needed to endure the heat is good. Too much air movement coupled with high heat will definitely kill plants.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
It is my understanding that once you start reaching high temperatures, things slow down, rooted cuttings take much longer to root, plants in veg dont build as quickly or as nice leaf structure, buds get whispy, etc... As the above posters have said, better ventilation is key.

Keyz

It is my understanding that once you start reaching high temperatures, things slow down, rooted cuttings take much longer to root, plants in veg dont build as quickly or as nice leaf structure, buds get whispy, etc... As the above posters have said, better ventilation is key.

This was my both my understanding and my experience.

On my last cycle, before I got my air conditioner, my temps and humidity were out of control. There were many times that my thermometer read 99 degrees F and 99% humidity (keep in mind that my thermometor only reached 99, so who knows how high it really was)....

Out of 21 plants, I threw away 6 of them that grew absolutely nothing. All of my purple strains gave me about a ounce a piece (On some plants that otherwise would have yeilded 2-3 each). But except for one hardy strain (Double Purple Doja), everything else came out airy and super fluffy.

On that cycle, with 1400 watts, I got 8 ounces.... and yes, I was pissed lol...

So I added an AC on the next cycle, and pulled 2 lb with the exact same strains.

My advice is to ventilate heavily.. If need be, get you a window AC and build a AC box (Tutorial can be found in the search). Or get a Portable AC, you can find them on Craigslist for pretty cheap (If you're planning on running CO2 then make sure it's a dual hose).. Fact is, cannibus is a hardy plant, it'll grow anyway up to a certain point.... but the growth will be slow, and the results will show that your enviroment isn't perfect. Spend the few extra dollars and invest in ventilation and an AC if necessary, and your bud will love you and pay you back for it... TRUST ME!

This was my both my understanding and my experience.

On my last cycle, before I got my air conditioner, my temps and humidity were out of control. There were many times that my thermometer read 99 degrees F and 99% humidity (keep in mind that my thermometor only reached 99, so who knows how high it really was)....

Out of 21 plants, I threw away 6 of them that grew absolutely nothing. All of my purple strains gave me about a ounce a piece (On some plants that otherwise would have yeilded 2-3 each). But except for one hardy strain (Double Purple Doja), everything else came out airy and super fluffy.

On that cycle, with 1400 watts, I got 8 ounces.... and yes, I was pissed lol...

So I added an AC on the next cycle, and pulled 2 lb with the exact same strains.

My advice is to ventilate heavily.. If need be, get you a window AC and build a AC box (Tutorial can be found in the search). Or get a Portable AC, you can find them on Craigslist for pretty cheap (If you're planning on running CO2 then make sure it's a dual hose).. Fact is, cannibus is a hardy plant, it'll grow anyway up to a certain point.... but the growth will be slow, and the results will show that your enviroment isn't perfect. Spend the few extra dollars and invest in ventilation and an AC if necessary, and your bud will love you and pay you back for it... TRUST ME!

WOW... thats a good example y u want good air flow. what was ur temp on ur second cycle?

Thanks for the input everyone.

Keyz

WOW... thats a good example y u want good air flow. what was ur temp on ur second cycle?

Thanks for the input everyone.

I was able to get it down to about 85 maximum.... That was with a 5000btu AC in a 8x4 space... Before that, I had a 8000 btu portable, that would cool it to about 76, but I replaced it because I added CO2, and it sucked my CO2 out.... Also, I had it on a timer, but it was a digital board instead of a dial, so i'd have to go in and hit the 'power' button every time.

Keyz

whats the best way to cut down heat with only fans?

Without CO2 I run my ventilation as such (i'm in a GrowLab tent):
Carbon Filter---->6inch fan-----> Lights------>Outside of tent..... Of course in this case I would open up all the vents in the room so that it's pulling in new air. Otherwise the air wouldn't replace, I'd get a ton of negative pressure and my temps would collapse.

With CO2 I run my ventilation as such:
Outside of tent -----> Window AC box ------>6inch fan------->lights-----Outside of tent

and

Carbon Filter ----> 4 inch fan; recirculating back into the room.

Hope that helps a bit.

lmfao @ the dude who said cooltubes are overrated........i dont count being able to get 6" away from the tops of my plants over rated.....i think you need to learn more buddy seriously...and cooltubes just cut down on bulb heat and most heat from a grow is manly radiant heat as light = heat.......my cooltube install only brought temps down a couple degrees but it brought canopy temps down like 5-6 degrees......just my .02 and easiest way to get rid of heat is duct in a/c....

SuperSizeMe

A foot without a sock...
Veteran
lmfao @ the dude who said cooltubes are overrated........i dont count being able to get 6" away from the tops of my plants over rated.....i think you need to learn more buddy seriously...and cooltubes just cut down on bulb heat and most heat from a grow is manly radiant heat as light = heat.......my cooltube install only brought temps down a couple degrees but it brought canopy temps down like 5-6 degrees......just my .02 and easiest way to get rid of heat is duct in a/c....

Yep...cooltubes are just way efficient when it comes to air-cooling your lamps, I'm on-board with the 'piped-in' A/C as well.

OP:

The 100 degree temps will set you back man, sorry to say.

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
100 is NOT too much, I've seen temps over 105F that lasted for 3 full days a number of times in my room with no other results than the plants grow faster than usual. Yeah faster. Plants don't slow down at higher temps, they do the exact opposite, they grow faster. Fast growing in itself can be a stress if there's either too much air movement or not enough water or some other thing that limits or maxes out transpiration. It's the speeded up growth at higher temperatures that make the plant use more CO2 during photosynthesis.

Rasta311

I have to disagree. You are comparing oranges to apples. Having your temps in the 100s for a few days is nothing like it being your whole grow temp. 100f buds is better than no buds. The plant will grow fine but you will find that your buds will suffer. But read my previous statement. GL

Latest posts

Latest posts