What's new

camping light or headlamp

gavin2511

head lamp head lamp head lamp!!!

it puts light where you are looking, as a camp light will give area light!(poorly)

M

mustardshanty

Yeah, I think a headlamp will come in the handiest.

I don't know about you guys, but we always have a fire going when we're up camping, so you don't really need a lamp to light the immediate area.
However, when I have to excuse myself to the "little girls bush", I definitely need a light of some kind. Flashlights work alright, but headlamps require no hands. :cool:

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
go with the head lamp. it is hands free and points where you look. carry extra batteries.

HighDesertJoe

COME ON PEOPLE NOW
Veteran
I spent many of nights outdoors either backpacking or fishing and hands down Head Lamp are the only way to go. take a lot of extra battery's and often neglected is spare bulbs. Good Luck be safe have FUN

mosstrooper

I use almost exclusivly wind up torches now, they are a bit lumpy, and they arent the brightest torch in the shop, but you never need batterys, and it doesnt matter how fancy, tough, light, or sexy your headlamp is if it has no batterys you are stuffed.

Wind up torches often come with an adaptor that will allow you to give a mobile phone enough of a charge to make a call.

If the chips where down, a wind up torch might save your life.

angel4us

ICMag Donor
you need a mini mag light on string around your neck . a head lamp is a must . and hopefully somebody will have lantern or u got good ol fashion camp fire light. definitly have safety glasses on in woods boys !!! had a close freind lose sight in one eye getting fire wood in dark!

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Petzl, Fenix and Zebralight make some fine headlamps.
LED's are the way to go. Incandescent, halogen and xenon bulbs are a waste of battery.

Kirby

Think everything has been covered. Headlamp is the way to go. The mini-lanterns made by Black Diamond are pretty useful for group settings as well as for reading in your tent, but they are not cheap. A spare flashlight in the backpack is good item to bring, especially if you're not doing extended backpacking trips (where weight matters).

Also, lithium batteries weigh less and last 40% longer.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
get a Joby headlamp

my friends works at the Joby warehouse, gave me some of their LED headlamps, they are great, i use them for trimming, EXTREMELY bright and cool looking

R

RedRain

I will go camping with my friends. and I found that I did not have enough materials. I want to buy a camping light. but my friends told me it is very heavy. is it true? the camping light and headlamp, which is more practical? I find this headlamp http://www.tinydeal.com/headlamp-px2gbk-fhl7743-p-7150.html
it is good?

i have that exact same headlamp and it comes in handy so much...my vote is for the headlamp...having your hands free is a big bonus ...

Sgt.Stedenko

Crotchety Cabaholic
Veteran
Primary (non rechargable) lithium batteries are nice and light but are soooo expensive for throw aways. Recharable lithium ions batteries are the way to go if your headlamp/flashlight will support them, and you are willing to make the capital investment in a decent set of batteries and a charger. Guilt free lumens.
BTW, Headlamp FTW.
I still have my Petzl Zoom from 1988 and use it occasionally, but my Zebralight 501W is indispensable.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
one more shameless plug...

one more shameless plug...

for the Joby headlamp. these things are AMAZING.

Attachments

• Joby-Gorillatorch-Switchback-headband-headlamp.jpg
    Joby-Gorillatorch-Switchback-headband-headlamp.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 39

Pumpkin

Veteran
Huh.. get an inverter and run low power lights off your car battery with a long cord so you can hang it off a nearby tree if need be. If you add a deep cycle battery to your setup and charge that with your alternator and you can have happy camping and not worry about getting started in the morning.

I'd feel like a nuff with a headlamp... and it's got'a be uncomfortable.

If you camp regularly an inverter is really a no brainier. Much better than gas lamps and if you go for a short drive you can have full power every night with the convenience of plug and play.

Neptune

headlamp, 10000%

can still work with both hands in the dark. very useful around the house too, even in urban areas. basements, attics, watering your plants or doing work in the garden at "night."

Keep a few right by the grow room for night work.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
Been using headlamps for over ten years. I keep a tikka on my rear view. Wont go outside when it's dark without my petzl xp2

Latest posts

Latest posts