What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling the Big Boys Out Of Hiding!! - Trimmer Machine

nUt_jOb

I love the $25k trimmer talk but just for shits and grins take a look at this little rig:

Its basically a home depot electric trimmer that has been hard wired (battery replaced with AC/DC converter for continuous use) and a shop vac hose is hooked up to it to suck off the trim. I mean its something that you could put together for under $50 and who knows it might just prove to be pretty useful.. maybe add a cutting guide below the blades to guard from trimming too much.

COMMENTS????????????????

Dont mind the little stand they fabricated.. this specific device was conjured up for a greenhouse specific use, however, it looked too interesting to not bring over here.

If you want to read about it and how to make it in painful detail.. here is the link: http://www.mne.psu.edu/me415/spring05/yoder/construction.htm

G

nut i actually bought one(base model, no mods), used it and liked it so i bought 2 more since they would run down. i used them for a while but had to move on since it made my arm tired from holding it for hours and hours.
those modifications are nice though. i could see that hose attachment coming in handy for those who like to trim fanleaves toward the end. but, i think it would interfere with the detail work

nUt_jOb

cool deal.. im def gunna try it at least unmodified and see how it does.. maybe hardwire it so it could run constantly at a minimum. and nitrous.. what is your icon? it looks like a chick getting railed but i cant tell

G

nUt_jOb said:
cool deal.. im def gunna try it at least unmodified and see how it does.. maybe hardwire it so it could run constantly at a minimum. and nitrous.. what is your icon? it looks like a chick getting railed but i cant tell
yeah it is, i edited out the good parts though. you can see it all here. if you feel like spending $300 and getting a 12volt power supply, you could buy a "testerossa" electric scissor. its basically the same thing as that black&decker just lighter, no arm fatigue. ya know if you could make that b&d lighter it would be better than any handhelds because you can turn it on and off easily... hmmm might try that
Frogger said:
very cool diy :wave: :joint: how good does it work ?? :sasmokin:
it works very well as a deleafer for fans... works decent for smaller stuff. doing detail work would be much better with smaller spaces between the grill. this is what i copied the design from after i saw reaper usin it http://strippers.ch/en/prod.htm.

Chodo- Still, 50 with a good trim in one day with 10 people is outstanding.

Nitro- That avatar is awesome. I knew I could count on you for more pron, nitro. Nitro's in love with a stripper.

Tom- can't wait to see more pics of the tule fog.

nutjob- that link is pretty damn cool. That cart set up would be great for big leafing in the garden with those pneumatic tires on that beast.

G

Has anyone bought or even tried this Rolling Thunder yet? Went back to the beginning of the thread and was wondering this. There's another one called "The Grinder", it's the same thing as the Rolling Thunder. One or the other, did a knock off of the other one. Anyone got a link to that one?
Take care,
BG

G

I owned a centurion. Its the exact same thing only the real and better version.

G

I'd say that a trim pro and some trim hands are the fastest way because you can first just tear everything off the plant, including full 8" + extension fan leaves. Doing so makes the intense trim much faster for final bag appeal. However, both machines accomplish this, they just go about it a bit differently.

With the centurion you have to hand pluck the fan leaves, with the trim pro, just do the same thing and then wave it along until its where you want it. i loved my trimpro too, both were great. However, at the end of the day the centurion was better because you can put anything any size in it.

The down fall to the centurion which I guess you could get around it if you wanted to was you had to really break the buds down, which meant you had to screen dry them.

On the trimpro you can just kinda flop it around then let the final trimmers deal with it.

I dunno, I like to hang buds rather than screen dry them, the final product comes out looking so much better! I will mostlikely have a trimpro this year as i sold my centurion and do see it as beneficial however with enough guys around and a trimpro or 4 it should not be a problem. The centurion is quite pricey. Its right around 20k canadian.

Fast_Pine

I dont understand....

I dont understand....

..........why you guys keep ignoring the trimpro automatix...It is the only other totaly automatic trimmer that hasnt been discussed here..It seems to do the exact same thing as its $20,000 counterpart for $2500:confused:...

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hey fast pine howzit,

The trimpro automatix just chews the hell out of the stems at the bottom of the buds.
The stems end up looking like the business end of a broom, & everything must be gone over to fix this. Not much automatic about that...

Tom

Tom Hill

Veteran
In addition, they are fitted out with the thicker grill (not as tight of trim), require prior bigleafing & only load about a z @ a time. With all this in mind, I can keep up with its output with the workstation.

G

I would concur, after 3 years of use of a trim pro, I can tell you that i have a pretty good idea what is going to happen in that machine.

Fast_Pine

Hello tom,

Say, by yer response Im guessing youve used the automatix before?:confused:...Im really not too worried about the stems getin stredded into pieces. My main concern with that machine is production quality, and speed.

I too, have a trimpro workstation. As Im sure yer all aware, doing popcorn is a total pain in tha ass on the trimpro's. You can breeze through pretty much the top third if the plant, but when you start to get to those little marble/golfball sizers it gets quite tedious. IMHO, thats that tha automatix is for. I would never load a top nugg or anything large into the automatix, but as far as the bottom half of the plant(the part that takes the longest too trimm) the automatix seems to be the best buy, not to mention its made by a reputable company, and has the exact same grill patern the $20,000 machine has, and sucks and suts on the exact same principle, and is half the size.....Ya know...Id be willing to bet that a 2 man team using one trimpro workstation, and one trimpro automatix ($4500 total with both machines) could compete with two guys using the $20,000 one:confused:

When trimming over 10elbows, even the simple raking of the buds across the grill can get MINDNUMING, thats what draws me to the totaly automatic machine. Simply cut 1-2' arm off yer freshly cut plant, cut off all the golfballnuggs into the machine, and run the tip top nugg over the trimpro workstation, with that method it seems one could trimm ~2ounces in well under a minute:confused:

So tom, where are you getting these skinny grills, mine has the black one. Are the red and blue ones the ones that yer saying gives a closer trimm?

Im sold on the automatix, especially when there is a machine outhere that seems to do the exact same thing for fifteem thousand dollard more.

Im suprized to see that people arent turned on by these things. Seems to dive a simmilar trim to the table?

Have yall seen the video?

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hello again Fast_Pine,

Yes, i do have a few days experience with the automatix. I feel it still has some design flaws to be worked out. In addition to what i've mentioned above, the buds bounce around really hard in there. It almost gives the "ruins the buds" crowd a leg to stand on. When they land on the grill stem side down, a 1 gram bud gets further bucked down, so it becomes a 3/4 gram bud with a stem hanging down to be ripped to shreds, & a 1/4 gram bud. The machine eats up a shitload of these smaller buds, they fall through the grill only to be reclaimed by hash. While your waiting for that one bud to get finished in there, everything else gets smaller & smaller as well. I just can't recommend this machine.

The black grill is standard on the regular trimpro & the automatix. The stainless grill is standard on the trimpro workstation. The difference is night & day. The stainless grill is about 1/4(?) the thickness of the old black ones & provide for a much tighter trim. No further touching up is required. In addition the gaps are closer together giving one the confidence to do the smaller more tedious work without loosing a finger.

The technique used will make all of the difference when doing smaller buds on the workstation. I work with about 10 inches of branch for grillwork, then buck it all down (take it off the stick) @ the end of each day. Bucking it all down first & rolling them around with your hands is not where its at in my opinion.

Tom

Last edited:
G

Thanks for the info everyone. Got me wanting to check out a Trimpro work station. Thanks for the advise on the grills Tom. Think i'm going to give the work station a go. God know's how i hate to trim some what large crops alone. Very good thread. Thanks everyone for all your info and option.
Take care,
BG

Fast_Pine

Damn...I couldnt immagine the width of the grill getting much thinner than the black one:confused:...Can you order one through trimpro?

Latest posts

Latest posts