What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling all Tree top growers

ThcInfused

thats hilarious brother, growing a tree in a tree! sorry to hear about your babies getting taken, luckily they didnt look up! keep up the good work

peace&pot

Trev

Me n the old lady are thinking we might try this method out this season.

WE consider ourselve "Resouceful" stoners haha so we have a few ideas..

as for the water delimma, why not just hang a 5gal bucket or even a few(big tree) higher in the tree, and run drip lines? or a wick system "top off".

seems simple enough, obviously plants would get some water from the rain, and the buckets higher in the tree would definetly get some more rain if positioned correctly. Also it seems as the cheapest and "stealthiest" way to go..

5gallon bucket from CasaDePOT-5$
black tubing-20-40$ 100'foot(more than whats needed for)

this seems like the method used by the guy in the YOUtub videos, and it seems to work very well for him?

Me and the old lady are thinkiing low-tech on this, very simple and low maintenance, as i dont want to be climbing tree's weekly as well as hiking ground plots.. blah blah. With this method i would simply do a pre-planting hike to a few nice trees, do an intial setup, run lines, hang buckets, ect..ect... and maybe just do the planting in the air? after that, i would plan to visit the tree plots 2-3 times until harvest.

as far as camo, i dont find it extremely needed..especially if buckets are black.. not in a tree setting, as most people will atrribute anything in trees..buckets.. plastic.. wood.. ect.. as a deerhunters garbage..(quite common around here....)

hopefully we get time to do 1 or 2 tree plots this season it certainly sounds interesting! and something we want to check out.

stay safe.
peace.

bagada

for someone first starting this tree thing...i would suggest starting simple the first season, then when youve worked out the kinks, then you can get more advanced with the whole watering buckets

joesmith02

Last year, I did my first outdoor grow after doing a sog cab back in the winter.
I saved a couples clones of my skunk#1 and planted some in the grounds.

But to be sure I would have something to smoke in the winter, I decided to put 3 clones in the 3 platforms I constructed the year back but never got to use them because I had no way of getting my hand on clones or seeds.

There is ALOT of way to setup your grow in a tree, but I chose to built a platform and put a pot on it (about 4gal). But If I would restart I would just use string to secure the pot to the tree, and I would built a platform Only if I would put several plant on the same level.
That year I also did the erreur of putting only one plant per Tree!!! So that include climbing a 50-60' tree to water only one plant. So if you want to make your ''tree'' more efficient I would recommend of putting atleast 3 plants per tree.

My plants could Have been way bigger, but in the middle of the summer and at the start of the flo I wasn't able to water the plants anofe to kept up with summer heat, so next year some kind of automatic irrigation will be a must

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I hope you enjoy the pictures
And if you have any particular questions feel free to ask :)

microgram

That's just godly. The wooden platform is kind of heat, but it's still fairly freakin awesome dude. Next time, get some cedar tone or something. It'll help camo into the tree.

Doesn't look like those pots are secured though, what would happen if you got a nice blistery wind storm? :(
Is one of those drilled right into the tree!? :thinking: what about the root ball falling out? heh.

N

nukkumatti

Great thread guys.. I'm gonna try this in coming season. I'm 60°N and there are some rainy days always in the autumn. Better to make roof for the plants in a tree than a tent on the ground. ;)

joesmith02

The pots as screws in the bottom of the bucket to be sure they dont fall.... what a horrrible idea, I should have used some rope to tight it down to the platform.
Because now If I want to remove or move the pots I have to remove all the soil by hand to reach to screws....

joesmith02

That's just godly. The wooden platform is kind of heat, but it's still fairly freakin awesome dude. Next time, get some cedar tone or something. It'll help camo into the tree.

Doesn't look like those pots are secured though, what would happen if you got a nice blistery wind storm? :(
Is one of those drilled right into the tree!? what about the root ball falling out? heh.

I DID drilled right into the tree, 4screws wont do anything to the tree. But next time, I will try to figure a way to secure it without hearting the tree.

Maybe some thing like a 2x8 with 2 chains going around the tree attached to the 2x8 with bolts, so when I tight them them the chains will grab the tree and that way I will have a piece of wood I can screw in without touching the tree....sound like a good idea no ?

joesmith02

Great thread guys.. I'm gonna try this in coming season. I'm 60°N and there are some rainy days always in the autumn. Better to make roof for the plants in a tree than a tent on the ground. ;)

If you make a roof for your baby... that mean more watering will be needed AND YOU DONT Want that because even with the water of the rain you will see that its a big pain in the ** to water those baby. Or maybe you could built it at the end of the summer so your plants would be protected in the fall

microgram

joesmith02: Oh, I wasn't worrying about you hurting the tree, I meant about the ganja rootball literally. One of girls looks like the base of the pot is screwed into the tree, what's preventing it from falling out, rope? And the rope idea is good, or just screw the pot onto two 2x4's, but screw the 2x4's into other 2x4's but in a place that's accessible for easy maintenece.

Crappy drawing but:
treetopexample.jpg

The grey things are the screws, and the two mostly 'vertical' studs are supposed to be even, even though they aren't. and then of course the whole thing needs to be braced in case you remove a pot and then step on it or something.

You still can't get away from the bucket, but if you design all your platforms similarily like that, you wouldn't have to worry about taking the plant out of the pot. But im sure there are millions of other ways to do it :)

@Tripa: Why so? I personally don't have the physical capability, but im sure others do. It's ultimate stealth, the only thing other than that would be to grow in outter space, or deep in a cave(or on the walls of a vertical cave).

Cheers!
UG! :joint:

N

nukkumatti

If you make a roof for your baby... that mean more watering will be needed AND YOU DONT Want that because even with the water of the rain you will see that its a big pain in the ** to water those baby. Or maybe you could built it at the end of the summer so your plants would be protected in the fall

I was thinking doing it for the fall :) And some rainwater catchers with blumat systems;)

Trev

boredom

boredom

treetop.jpg

got bored, and got paint happy... smoking another bowl.. haha.

just a little illustration of what the old lady and myself plan for 1 or 2 tree plots, possibly 3-4 plants per tree..and 2 water buckets per tree.

all buckets are 5gal standard buckets..

C

crownedsparrow

I really like all this discussion, but for the people who are interested in trying this type of system out, how are those of you that have done it bringing up water?

on your back or a pully system? frankly id be worried about carrying any good amount of water on my back for fear of it messing up my balance.

I like the idea of running small aquarium lines or a garden hose up to forgo the need of climbing, but if one were running this in the middle of nowhere would one have to buy a generator and big ass pump or could they run something battery operated?

Trev

thats were the water buckets come into play..

when it rains, the plants with obviously get water, because the tree will be getting soaked with water as well.. the 2 buckets will fill with rain water.. and "store" it, until its needed by the plant. you could run simple drip line.. or a wick system? or simple hose clamped and you climb the tree and use the bucket water to water the plants?

the point of the buckets is to limit the wate you bring into the field.. aiming for only about 1 gal everytime i visit? random top offs... 1 gal of water is easy to packpack in..

ideallly.. i would like to not have to carry anything into the field once they are taking off.

G

guest121295

I was caught growing in trees by a hunter who saw water coming down the trunk of the tree and stopped to check it out.Jumped out of the tree and was staring him in the face. Luckily he laughed at me.....Had some great plants up there though, have fun with it, I always hauled up water in a backpack and grew in tall spruce trees, never thought I'd be caught!!!:gday:

Trev

sorry to hear that brother! yeah i see the problem.. if water is coming down a tree trunk on a cloudless sunny day >.<

im only planning on 2 tree's this year. its my first time, and i want to go 6-8 plants..keep it small and simple.

mostly just for fun! very high chance the tree plots might become neglected haha and left to survive! idk yet.. it depends on what problems arise at my other plots :p

T

tokinafaty420

You know what you could do instead of climbing up every single time?

Running dripper lines up to your plant. Blend the line in to the tree so its practically impossible to see unless you already knew it was there. Whenever you return to water attach the dripper line to a small pump and a bucket full of water/nutes. When the plants have been watered enough, detach the pump again and take it with leaving the dripper line in place. Get one of those small battery packs you can plug stuff into for the pump.