What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calling all Tree top growers

john cutter

I just bought the book today, Ill get into it over the next few days and then Ill come back in here and let you all know what I think. Seems pretty good so far.

gotta watch coons?? lumped chicken wire, sphagnum moss, pro mix, clones, nutes, etc. up in a tree two seasons ago. made a kickass 15-20 gallon container out of the sphagnum and chicken wire up in a tree. musta had 50 lbs pro mix up there. something kept digging it up, first time dug half the pro mix outta the container. then i gave up? woulda like to give it a better shot, but i am too concerned about watering to dig too deep. seems as though if it was on your own property it would be ok, but in the bush it is too tough for me. thinking of daily waterings during heat of summer. have hard enough time watering the plants in the ground.
as
as

A

Amstel Light

that youtube vid is great marlo good thread ! what if you just wanted to put out hundreds (99) of small hardened of (4-6") clones what would be the best time?

sorry i havent been around the past few weeks. been really busy on the farm. OK i have decide to go ahead and plant a few in the trees this year. They wont be large but I do have time to pull a tree harvest. I found a nice tree the other day while walking the woods. not sure what kind it is yet but I know someone who knows all the trees in my area. i'm gonna grow in a 4 gal bucket and a few 2 littler plastic bottles. be back in a few days with the grow. any ideas or anyone wanting to jump in and trow some ideas my way. let me know.

guest2012y

Living with the soil
Veteran
Did this once,camo buckets and a evaporative cooler water line(also camo) ran up the tree. Lived in the city,had a big tree in the backyard. Only problem was forgetting to turn off the water,imagine your tree raining in the middle of a hot cloudless summer day.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
i might give this a shot this year, just as an experiment :joint:

i remember reading about this on OG when i was just starting out, and i thought it was the greatest idea of all time

ArcticBlast

medman225

hey guys yes this is an ingenious way of growing im really glad this method is getting shared with everyone...
theres a book about this subject the guy has a very comprehensive guide about it. i dont remember the name but theres a rabbit on the front pulling a marijuana plant outta a magicians hat and the book is green.
but anyway one thing i would like to include:
the author talks alot about how its really important, and i do concur, to make it as stealthy as possible; he talks about getting bark and leaves and super glueing/attaching however u can that makes it stay and i really think that will make it almost blend in to the untrained and unfocused eye. i know i wouldnt leave all the black out that is way in contrast to the color of the tree... which in turn draws the eye. but just a thought.
but anyway, do we have any members that have attempted this?
the author in that book describes a soil mixture that would have everything it needs, and in turn he simply relied on rain water(im not saying hes neccesarily naive to just think this way i think this was more optimal conditions, he does talk about and show that US guide to the farming ability of each region in the us... but yes water is a concern. and i think specific details about what to use to do this is in order(though dont ask me lol)... i just think that if u put it up in the tree and put to much there could be a chance of detection because of this big cluster of shit in the middle of the tree...
i dont know what do yall think?

medman. I need to read this book. Yes i have grown a few plants in trees. And with the right trees you cant see it. I bet money I'de find someones grow on the ground before finding a grow in the trees. I had several drug task force members plus National Gaurds searching my property this year for plants and not one of the highly trained professionals found a single plant growing in the trees. I've even brought trusted friends to look in the trees and they couldnt find them. Security is on my side with this on for sure. I will agree over and over that there is more work involved. watering the biggest concern.

badmf

Whoa bros thats really ambitious! But I'm too damn old to be falling out of trees, LOL! Much less haulin water up. Can't you devise a hose and pump set-up? Add a timer. But the racoons in my area would feast on em. I ordered a solar electric fence ... Take that Rocky!!

Presto_D

This idea as been kicking around in my head too.
I think it would be an excellent backup. I may try one in a tree myself.
But I'm trying my very first grow this year, there's a perfect tree near the place I've planned. I wonder if I'd be putting too much on my plate with one in a tree.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
i actually bought the book and there isn't really much to the method.
The author doesn't mention how often you have to water if you are growing up a tree.
it really seams to me that this is more of a system that you have to take care of a lot of the time since watering is your main concern.
but what if we were to use an earthbox up in a tree...?

A

Amstel Light

you all have outdoor knowledge maybe you could help with advice for my plan? here is the container im going to use I plan on just using clones 6-8 inches but dont know the optimal time to put them out?

I plan on using polymer water crystals and maybe sealing a pvc tube inside planter to act as res.i would then use a wick to draw water with?

i also like the vid that marlo put up that shows a res. above the plant .....but how does it know when and how much water to give the plant?

I have no idea what kinda medium or nutrients to provide?

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
I thought it would be bigger. Water barrel big.
i am not certain of how you could transform it into a self watering container.
if you could fit something tough enough to hold the soil above it and have enough room to hold water as a reservoir then you could use it.
If i were to use a barrel i would put a smaller one or a jugg on the inside, or a jug that would hold the water, make a hole in it. There is where i would put the wick. I'd make one out of cocopeat, a silk stocking and a pvc tube, a large one with holes in it :D. Of course i'd also add a pvc tube to fill the jugg.

Gantz

Smoke weed and prosper
Veteran
check out the self-watering video in my signature

the way that these things work is easy: we have a reservoir under the plant and we make it so that the plant can get to the water but not drown in it/ use it all in one go. To do that we use a wick. Them the system is a bottom-feed passive hydro one that works by capillary action. The plant will normally use the water in the soil, and some will evaporate. Because of the capillary action the water from the reservoir will be "pulled" into the soil in the big container - where the plant can use it.

bagada

i bought the book a couple years ago. read it and thought it was great idea since the previos year my plants had been ripped off on the ground. i glued leaves to the bucket and sprayed them with camo spray paint and used black marine adhesive for the glue (dont use white cuz if any is showing it will give u away) I mixed an organic soil and put them up in the trees. but then, with all my stuff prepared, I had to move to the south side of the island. so i couldnt plant. This year i plan on going back to the same spot and planting in the same buckets...i hope i can use the same soil. the location is in hawaii so it rains alot. the soil is 2 years old so im not sure if its good, but ill try and use it and add osmocote pellets. it get plenty of sun and you cant see the buckets at all...i mean, they are really camo. any advice would be apreciated.

Latest posts

Latest posts