What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

California may legalize in 2010!

Rainman

The revolution will not be televised.....
Veteran
Here is the link and below is the actual article

http://cbs13.com/local/pot.legal.voters.2.1042070.html

Calif. Voters May Decide Pot Legalization In 2010

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS/AP) ―
marijuana.jpg
Click to enlarge 1 of 1
AP

Californians could legally possess up to one ounce of pot and cities could sell and tax the drug under an initiative marijuana advocates want to place on the state's 2010 ballot.

The Control, Regulate and Tax Cannabis Act of 2010 is being pushed by pot activists who sense a positive shift in public sentiment toward the federally banned substance. A recent Field Poll found that 56 percent of California voters supported legalizing marijuana for recreational use and taxing its proceeds.

Backers of the ballot proposal include entrepreneurs in the state's medical marijuana industry, which has become lucrative since California voters legalized marijuana for medical use in 1996.

One of the leading proponents is Richard Lee, an Oakland pot dispensary owner and founder of Oaksterdam University, a medical marijuana trade school. As California cities confront plummeting revenues and the state's massive budget crisis, Lee said voters will be open to new ways to fill public coffers.

"We can't waste money enforcing laws that over 50 percent of people don't think should be in place," Lee said.

Supporters expect to finalize the proposal's language by the end of the month. The latest draft gives anyone age 21 or older the right to possess up to one ounce of marijuana for personal use. Local and state authorities could raise that amount.

Residents would also have the right to cultivate up to 25-square-foot plots of marijuana on private property, but only for personal consumption.

At the same time, cities that did not want marijuana within their limits could continue to bar sales, though they would still have to permit possession.

For the initiative to reach the November 2010 ballot, supporters must gather more than 433,000 valid signatures from registered voters. Lee said he believes they could complete that process by January.

The would-be ballot initiative is not the only effort under way to liberalize pot laws. Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, D-San Francisco, is pushing a bill in the state legislature that would regulate marijuana much like alcohol.

Under Ammiano's proposal, pot would be taxed at a rate of $50 per ounce and bring an estimated $1 billion in tax proceeds. The legislation would only allow taxes on pot to be collected once the federal government lifts its restrictions on marijuana.

Some critics have said they do not anticipate the federal government will budge anytime soon. Under federal law, any possession of marijuana is illegal.

Lee said a ballot initiative is quicker than waiting for any bill on the contentious issue of marijuana legalization to grind through the legislative process.

"We believe that the people lead the politicians on this issue," he said.

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
The thing i dont understand is will it be illegal for me to grow and sell without paying a tax? If so then then they are voting on full decriminalization not legalization.

Hash Zeppelin

Ski Bum Rodeo Clown
Premium user
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cant wait. It will be like the cold war ending, and the USSR begining to break up

stc9357

The thing i dont understand is will it be illegal for me to grow and sell without paying a tax? If so then then they are voting on full decriminalization not legalization.

No, with decriminalization it would be illegal to grow period you would just pay a fine of maybe $100 if you were caught with a ounce or two.

stc9357:dueling:

billb

Veteran
Residents would also have the right to cultivate up to 25-square-foot plots of marijuana on private property, but only for personal consumption.

Rainman

Veteran
The things I could do with 25 sq feet outside with no thought of legal reprimand!!!

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
That's like half a plant outside...but I like that the 'limits' can be raised. Good news, reguardless :)

Open Eyes

If this is true and it should pass according to recent polls then i will straight on a plane back to Santa Cruz. Wont the FED's interfere saying that FED laws supercede state?

Rainman

Veteran
Already said they willnot be involved in states laws regarding the MMJ!

Fisher - Half a plant? I could do 5 monsters all over 6 heet with just that space! Now you can do your own math on 4-5 6ft tall say AK-47's, Jack H., or! Or! SSH Oh yeah!!

fisher15

classy grass
Veteran
rainman, that's a 5'x5' square...put one clone of any of those strains out in may and see what happens. I've got multiple plants each covering over 25sf now and the season has just begun...check my thread in OD.

There would still be mmj, for the higher 'limits' already in place

Dr. Bloom

Cool! I've been hoping this initiative makes some progress. Hell, i'm just excited to see Legalization be considered as a legitimate possibility.

mr noodles

go for it california !

this will be a crushing message to send to the nazi harper admin in canada .

c-15 pure hitlerian non sense

please california open the way for us !

Open Eyes

433k is that not hard to get in cali. Heck, half, if not more, of the population of Santa Cruz county smoke weed and they have 250k i think it was.

If this gets on its 420 time in cali

Rainman

Veteran
Read the bill and then make a decision people! Dont blindly jump on the bandwagon one way or another until 'you' know and read what it is about. I personally feel like this will help California and all states. It will create a tax base wich is the only way you will get anything passed in ths state at this point. No money for the gov.! No bills passing for us. Its plain and simple. You can reel against the system and the process by preacing about it being a plant but if a bear farts in the forest and no one hears it, did it really happen? Point being, is it's a tool to make money at this point in California and will be veiwed as such from this point forward. The sooner we realize this and use that to your advantage the better off we will be.