What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Calcium

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

Rico swazi: i use shutzman nutri-rich. It's 4-3-2 with 7% calcium. It's 12$ for 50lb. Pretty well rounded fertilizer.

I modified your outdoor soil recipe from another thread this year and it killed it Bro!! many thanks for sharing .
picture.php

I use espoma chicken manure pellets and like it over all the other chicken manure pellets I have tried.

I could only find Cheep-Cheep chicken pellets near me on the east coast and paid $30 per 40 pounds but it smelled like straight up bat guano and my OD was very happy with it.

I also used plenty of Gypsum as well as lime to bring up ph.

Dosis
picture.php

Cake
picture.php

Forum
picture.php

They mainly use Citric Acid to Chelate Vitamins/ and Minerals, and is the industry standard.

Chelate means to Hook. The CA Hooks the other molecules, and makes them more bioavailable. Transfer across the cell membrane is more efficient.

Anthony Pescetti was Coinventor of Chelation, and was the Inventor of Time Release.

I think god invented chelation by itself

Rico Swazi

Apologies to the OP for a bit off topic , I get back on track later in this post

with chicken poo pellets, arsenic is the problem . literally a matter of garbage in, garbage out

https://www.kcet.org/food/fda-final...-oh-by-the-way-theres-arsenic-in-your-chicken
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048969711014306
https://pubsapp.acs.org/email/cen/html/040907093531.html

arsenic is a no no in organic crop production according to current NOP regulations

https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...ext&node=7:3.1.1.9.32.7&idno=7#se7.3.205_1601

§205.602 Nonsynthetic substances prohibited for use in organic crop production.The following nonsynthetic substances may not be used in organic crop production:
(a) Ash from manure burning.
(b) Arsenic.
(c) Calcium chloride, brine process is natural and prohibited for use except as a foliar spray to treat a physiological disorder associated with calcium uptake.
(d) Lead salts.
(e) Potassium chloride—unless derived from a mined source and applied in a manner that minimizes chloride accumulation in the soil.
(f) Rotenone (CAS # 83-79-4).
(g) Sodium fluoaluminate (mined).
(h) Sodium nitrate—unless use is restricted to no more than 20% of the crop's total nitrogen requirement; use in spirulina production is unrestricted until October 21, 2005.
(i) Strychnine.
(j) Tobacco dust (nicotine sulfate).
[68 FR 61992, Oct. 31, 2003, as amended at 83 FR 66572, Dec. 27, 2018]

why growers don't insist on full disclosure in the products they buy and use is a mystery to me . If a company isn't willing to disclose potentially harmful substance in their product, they don't get my money.
Different strokes for different folk as they say. (who are they anyway? always wondered 'bout that):biggrin:

Back on topic- my lime amendments analysis

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

CrushnYuba

The stuff i had tested that i used ALOT of shutzman pellets on did not fail. I know other people using them that didn't either.
I do have a friend that grows organically that failed for metals. Not sure what from. She switched to salts.

'Boogieman'

The espoma brand smells like raw chicken shit and piss, it's the hottest I have tried but I will look out for that brand you mentioned next time I need more. Interesting that it smelled like bat guano that would be a first for me.

CrushnYuba

I think shutzman is only available in norcal and Oregon. Peaceful valley (go grow organic), The local place i buy it from ships nationwide but im sure it's expensive to ship 50 lb bags. Considering nutri-rich is 12$ for 50 lbs, it might be cheaper then epsoma. It also has an ammonia smell, but not as bad as most chicken poo. It's pretty well composted. It's mostly organic N. Very little it's water soluble. It doesn't generate any heat after you mix it in soil. Doesnt need to "cook". I don't think it's possible to burn a plant with it. Tom Hill said he puts 75 lbs on each outdoor plant.

Rico Swazi

The stuff i had tested that i used ALOT of shutzman pellets on did not fail. I know other people using them that didn't either.
I do have a friend that grows organically that failed for metals. Not sure what from. She switched to salts.

would love to see those tests in comparison to this years. you up for that?

CrushnYuba

Ill PM them too you the next time I'm on the hill.

I don't want to get too off topic so this it's going to be the last thing i say about chicken poo. The poultry industry is disgusting. Just because it worked in my grow one year, doesn't make it safe. I really doubt that any bagged poo company sources poo from a single farm so contamination could vary from batch too batch. Last year, the biggest bulk soil place in my area said "what's with the chicken pellets this year? We sold more chicken poo then any other amendment". Shutzman is pretty much the only brand of chicken poo sold in norcal. Every hydro store, garden center, farm supply. The only way to keep up with demand would be to source from new farms.
I don't want anyone to think I'm saying poo is safe. CA's testing system is new. We will have a better idea in the next year how safe any product is as farms get licensed and batches get failed.

CodyPomeray

Forgive my ignorance but when using RO water is cal/mag supplementation needed? I have been using Organic Cal-Mag OAC Plant Nutrient Supplement by True at around 2ml a gallon because my brain told me to use calmag from having RO problems in past grows. Trying to get away from using the last of the bottled stuff and seeing what the normal customs are now. Thanks!

h.h.

Veteran
Forgive my ignorance but when using RO water is cal/mag supplementation needed? I have been using Organic Cal-Mag OAC Plant Nutrient Supplement by True at around 2ml a gallon because my brain told me to use calmag from having RO problems in past grows. Trying to get away from using the last of the bottled stuff and seeing what the normal customs are now. Thanks!

Sounds complicated.
Take out the calcium, then add it back. Depending on your mix, you may or may not need to supplement.
Why use RO?

CodyPomeray

My well is insanely high in iron, to the point we need to run filters on the intake of the house, and even after that theres some iron present. Just very hard water in general.

h.h.

Veteran
You’re kinda stuck with using RO.
If it’s adequate in your soil, you don’t need to supplement.

Latest posts

Latest posts