What's new

C99 vs Pineapple?

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Woah, I guess I need to read some fine print on the rules here - several posts got nixed from this thread. I guess because they were linking out? seems to be some intense moderation going on here that I don't quite get.

8. Spamming: The posting of links to other commercial websites, forums, chat rooms or communities, or commercial products are not permitted. Members who have their own website shall not be permitted to place the URL or related information in your profile area or display it in your signature, as doing so is considered advertising. There are appropriate avenues to follow regarding advertising on IC Mag. Any unauthorized advertisements will be deleted as Spam and the member banned.

8a. As a privately owned site, we retain the right to prohibit information posted in threads, posts, and signature lines that contains information pertaining to commercial products/entities that do not pay for advertisement or are not products represented by the owner of this site.

B

BasementGrower

ive ran pe. i got a mother on the side right now. i have alot of people tell me that its a more upper high when i sell it to them.. they like it .. but i have personaly thought it was a c99 or something.. but who knows.. but i think whatever it is.. its a S1 because out of a 10 pack of seeds they were all pretty close to the same ..

silverhazefiend

"Aint no love in the heart of the city"
Veteran
I grew it also whenever that stupid movie came out or a little while after ..and I agree it's pretty uniform ..both plants looked the same ..smell etc ..one finished faster than the other but by like 5-6 days so not really a big deal ..out of the few joints I did smoke and let someone else smoke they liked it ..one of my buddies said it tasted like fruit loops (the cereal) ..

komrade komura

Haven't grown the pineapple express but have been a grower of c-99....it is my go to strain for a lot of high quality smoke fast. So far, always get the pineapple pheno...although there are rumours of others, I ain't seen em.

C-99 is the smoke I never pull a test bud from...it is just too racy for me before 56 days. Shit gives me insomnia...but if you want decent quantity in 80 days, c99 is da ticket in my book. Nice taste...although boring after a few weeks of nothing else (during the great leap backwards debacle of 2012)

Been meaning to grab some Killer Queen Redux packs...I have smoked some good c-99 crosses...time to grow some of them.

Applesauce

To be honest I wasn't too impressed with C99 BX-1. I had four females and nothing stood out. Small sample of course. I am going to run them all a few more times. They smell fantastic but I haven't been able to get them to yield. I'm not sure if they are finicky about MG or what but I am getting golf balls with no stacking. I'm not a slouch growing but have had a lot of troubles with 3 out of 4 of the lot. One has yielded decently and the high is "ok" but not what you'd think with all the hype. Smell is fruity all day though.

OGEvilgenius

Veteran
Original Brothers Grimm was the breeder of Cindy99. It was a seed from a bud of Jack Herer which has haze in it. So your getting a fruity taste and a bit of a haze high. Always a pleasure to grow. Easy, med. yielder, and 55 days it's done. Good part if you have a small grow you may not need filters because it doesn't have a typical pot smell more fruity or pineapple. Most people wouldn't even know your growing indoors :laughing: I like it as a mood elevator and is good meds for depression and energy. I think actually the rotten fruit smell buds were the best. IMO I would never let the trics get amber to get that up high you want.

Good luck,
Pain

I'm growing out C99 for the first time. Got as a freebie from Peak, I think it's originally from Frost Dzzles stock. Anyway, couldn't agree more with the smell. Very un pot like. Straight fruit smelling. Really quite lovely.

For those wanting c99 seeds, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than nuggetshinner's c99. I wouldn't even think of going with anybody else's. just my 2 cents.

For those wanting c99 seeds, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than nuggetshinner's c99. I wouldn't even think of going with anybody else's. just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the rec. I almost pulled the trigger on these but I've been hemming and hawing about dropping some substantial coin for some Sensi Jack or DJ Short Flo seeds, so I'm still not sure yet. My concern is that as a novice grower I may be making a mistake by investing a lot in genetics when I don't yet have the skills to make the most of them. Y'all have got me intimidated!

To be honest I wasn't too impressed with C99 BX-1. I had four females and nothing stood out. Small sample of course. I am going to run them all a few more times. They smell fantastic but I haven't been able to get them to yield. I'm not sure if they are finicky about MG or what but I am getting golf balls with no stacking. I'm not a slouch growing but have had a lot of troubles with 3 out of 4 of the lot. One has yielded decently and the high is "ok" but not what you'd think with all the hype. Smell is fruity all day though.

Hey Applesauce, this is kind of a bummer to hear, since as I said above I'd be approaching this as a novice. When you say you are unable to get them to yield I'm curious what you were hoping for and what you were actually able to yield. Thanks!

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the rec. I almost pulled the trigger on these but I've been hemming and hawing about dropping some substantial coin for some Sensi Jack or DJ Short Flo seeds, so I'm still not sure yet. My concern is that as a novice grower I may be making a mistake by investing a lot in genetics when I don't yet have the skills to make the most of them. Y'all have got me intimidated!

You shouldn't be afraid, just prepare bud.

You have so much on your plate. It might be easier to try to grow something easy first to get a feel for the plant. Maybe a little monocrop(one strain only)?

I didn't have the grow skills down and went on an equipment investment ride after i got some green crack.

Now all I need is genetics and water :)

You should start a planning thread so we can help you center your ideas and ensure you are being efficient and complete.

just a thought. Most good growers dial in their growing equipment/environmental before they even pop a seed.

my buddy has 2 days left on his new system he's been running for two weeks with no plants, its solid and plans/preparations like this will help you ultimately be successful. Its all the little things that matter, not the big things in growing. You can buy the best and have everything, but you gotta know how to use it/do it.

If you have a growroom design thread, post a link, i wanna see haha

fungzyme

just a thought. Most good growers dial in their growing equipment/environmental before they even pop a seed.

Ding ding ding! Best way to approach this hobby period. Save all that money you would have spent on Sensi Jack and Flo (neither are beginner strains at all, IMO) and concentrate on setting up lighting and ventilation in the space you've chosen to grow in. Like was said, just running your light and fan (making sure your lights-on and lights-off temps stay in the range) puts you miles ahead. Another thing most new growers try and do without is odor control, then spend an entire month being paranoid and lighting incense because their house reeks.
For that reason C99 might still be your best choice - it's not a stinker. I've grown it without odor control.
And it's IMO fairly easy to grow and pretty forgiving (and fast! You don't want to start off with a finicky 12 week sativa while you're still learning how to keep a plant alive and dialing in your room )
Mine wasn't a huge yielder either, but I wasn't expecting that out of an 8wk sativa, and yields can always be improved with proper training and a longer veg.
But seriously, don't spend all your money on big-name seeds yet - at this stage getting the right equipment for your space should be the priority.

Ding ding ding! Best way to approach this hobby period. Save all that money you would have spent on Sensi Jack and Flo (neither are beginner strains at all, IMO) and concentrate on setting up lighting and ventilation in the space you've chosen to grow in. Like was said, just running your light and fan (making sure your lights-on and lights-off temps stay in the range) puts you miles ahead. Another thing most new growers try and do without is odor control, then spend an entire month being paranoid and lighting incense because their house reeks.
For that reason C99 might still be your best choice - it's not a stinker. I've grown it without odor control.
And it's IMO fairly easy to grow and pretty forgiving (and fast! You don't want to start off with a finicky 12 week sativa while you're still learning how to keep a plant alive and dialing in your room )
Mine wasn't a huge yielder either, but I wasn't expecting that out of an 8wk sativa, and yields can always be improved with proper training and a longer veg.
But seriously, don't spend all your money on big-name seeds yet - at this stage getting the right equipment for your space should be the priority.

Besides, you can get a quality strain, that's somewhat forgiving, for hella cheap.

Try some greenhouse beans, all fem, cheap, the SLH and Lemon Skunk will give you great results.

Keep It Simple Sasha

You shouldn't be afraid, just prepare bud.

Ding ding ding! Best way to approach this hobby period.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. And in theory I totally agree with everything you're saying, but unfortunately I can't really apply a lot of it in practice. I will be starting my own grow thread soon, but to explain in the meantime...

For starters, I'm going to be growing outdoors. Indoor is just not an option for me. I could get into all the different reasons why, and there are several, but it's just not going to happen, at least not where I'm currently living and I don't think I'll be moving anytime soon. Also, outside is where the Sun is, and on a spiritual level that's very important to me. For similar reasons, I plan to use only organic soil and nutrients.

I am definitely interested in growing as a hobby, but I'm not looking to grow for profit or get into advanced breeding or cultivation - at least not right now. The purpose of starting a garden for me is just to spend some fun quality time nurturing and growing a few different strains for my own supply - and hopefully share some with my friends. At the same time, I do care a lot about which strains I am growing and want to invest time and energy making sure i'm doing the best I can within the confines of a very modest outdoor grow.

My goal at the beginning was to grow just four plants, but ideally four completely different mothers. A few years ago (when I was working on an ill-fated indoor room) I picked up seeds for three strains from my local dispensary - Cocoa Kush, Whitaker Blues, and The Truth. When I realized I had a perfect amount of space for four plants, I decided I'd try to find one more good strain and do four different plants because it sounded like a fun idea, and that was the beginning of this whole C99 vs Pineapple thing.

In reading these forums it seems like selection of a high quality mother is absolutely critical, which makes perfect sense, but if I want to have four different strains, I'm not really going to be able to do that. My plan is to basically grow a few babies of each strain in pots until I can determine sex and then plant the best looking female from each into the ground and ditch the rest. I could easily change my plan to grow four mothers of one plant, or two of two, but then I'm sacrificing variety.

I think I'm coming at this stuff from a different direction than a lot of folks. I'm not really too concerned about potency or even taste. Of course I do enjoy a good tasting smoke, but truth be told I'd smoke a bowl of litter covered cat shit if it got me the effect I wanted. I bought a bag of dirt weed in Costa Rica - no idea what it was, it was ass brown, dry as hay and tasted like sticks, but it was one of the best highs i've experienced in my life.

So, ultimately, that's what I care about - does it make me feel good? I've bought way too many $60 8ths that did not meet this basic requirement, regardless of their off-the-charts THC %. This is a big reason why I'm burned out on dispensaries and want to become self-sufficient - but I just really want to make sure I do it right.

Thanks again, I'll try to start that grow thread later today!

Marn

I'm growing Pineapple Express right now and it's fantastic. It's said to be C99 x Trainwreck. I've never grown straight C99 but many cindy dom SpaceQueen crosses along with a lot of Trainreck and I can safely say that P.E. definitely has some of those genetics in there. It's a a 8-9 weeks sativa with huge yields that smells very similar to both parents. Def gonna keep growing this one, it's dank.

I'm growing Pineapple Express right now and it's fantastic. It's said to be C99 x Trainwreck. I've never grown straight C99 but many cindy dom SpaceQueen crosses along with a lot of Trainreck and I can safely say that P.E. definitely has some of those genetics in there. It's a a 8-9 weeks sativa with huge yields that smells very similar to both parents. Def gonna keep growing this one, it's dank.

Interesting... I also read that Pineapple Express is Trainwreck crossed with Hawaii, or with Maui Wowie. But then maybe that Maui Wowie is actually Hawaii x Maui Wowie? Not sure, but everyone seems to agree Trainwreck is in there for sure. One site credited G13 labs for creating the strain. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Having sampled pineapple express grown by a friend, I can say it was nothing like C99 and had no pineapple flavors at all. Not the worst, but definitely a bit disappointing.

the pheno one of our testers selected couldnt have been more incorrect, he chose a plant that was almost a dead ringer for the bubblegum mango male side, not the evil pineapple female...the evil pineapple it was crossed too had the most delicious pineapple candy taste ive ever come across. unfortunately in his excitement he gave it out to a lot of people before we could sample it so when i see it it makes me cringe. but dont dismay, theres also one pheno thats a dead ringer for the mamma. dont worry i still have 30 origional pineapple express seeds so yall will be seeing the correct pheno bx comin to the bay very soon, gotta finish my (apollo 11 x sputnik pinky) x chem d selections and bx before getting back into the PE.

basement u got any pics of ur pe?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, Sneaky. Do you know where to find any additional info on the Oregon "Pineapple" cut?

no idea of the lineage unfortunately man, a bunch of my friends run it. my buddies that dont use advanced nutes get a pretty decent pineapple flavor, but nothing close to the c99 uber pineapple im used to. If u can get the oregon pineapple do it, that lady will THROW DOWN in the yeild dept, only reason im not running her is cause a majority of my friends are running it, dont step on your friends toes ya know...

SneakySneaky

Veteran
Interesting... I also read that Pineapple Express is Trainwreck crossed with Hawaii, or with Maui Wowie. But then maybe that Maui Wowie is actually Hawaii x Maui Wowie? Not sure, but everyone seems to agree Trainwreck is in there for sure. One site credited G13 labs for creating the strain. Does anyone know if there's any truth to that?

incorrect, Kush Bros are the origional creators, it was created before the movie came out, given to ed rosenthall at hempfest before the movie came out. The lineage is Bubblegum mango x evil pineapple. You can take that to the bank. There is a cut called pineapple trainwreck, but PE and PT are NOT the same thing....

moondawg

Hey manage. I grew out 2 packs of the original grimm work years back and kept moms of both primary phenos for a long time but eventually lost them. I know the strain fairly well.

There were 2 pheno's: a strong pineapple pheno and a second one that is more citrusy or orange in flavor. The pineapple pheno had better taste and yeilded a bit more and that made it popular. it turned out to be a decent breeder as well.

Many pheno's will finish in 45 days and the buzz is electric and fast. Paranoid inducing for many.

I think that many of todays growers and even breeders werent in high school when the grim boys did their work and over that time, people have worked and tinkered with the strain until someone renamed it "pineapple". I believe this becase so many of the pineapple crosses finish if 45 days and have an electric onset and strong haze high.

I believe "Pineapple Express" by g13 labs is a copy of Flying dutchams Pineapple Punch which does not contain c99.

There are currently numerous companies and crosses for c99 that are really niceas i read from a post above, since im not sure theyre participants on this forum. i guess its against the rules for me to tell you who they are.

Ps i noticed that female seeds is a member here and thier c99 holds more potential than most other work. Their is a great deal of variation in their strain but the orange and pineapple pheno's appear in the cross. Dont let the price scare you. Buy 3 packs and do some fishing.

LyryC

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yo dude, get those plants in the ground outside? don't be scared if you don't, i said id have lights up one day by night time, week later their up hahaha

hope you found teh strains you wanted and all is well, update us "_"

new threaD?

Latest posts

Latest posts