What's new

first timer's organic outdoor grow plan

Hey Everybody,

I wanted to share my basic plans for an organic outdoor grow. This is my first real grow. I attempted an indoor a few years back and even made a cool stealth box but had to abandon just when they were going into flower.

This is going to be a very modest 4-plant garden, purely for personal use, and I hope to grow four different strains. The strains I already have seeds for are: Cocoa Kush, Whitaker Blues, and The Truth (Maui x Amherst Skunk x Chem Dawg). I'm still deciding on a fourth, but I'm leaning toward C99, which you good ICMAG folks have been educating me on over in this thread.

My hope is just to end up with some good herb for myself and my friends. I'm not super worried about potency, flavor, or even yield. Those are all awesome things, but my primary concern is always the effect. I mentioned this in the other thread, but I was recently in Costa Rica and I bought a bag of dry, brown weed that tasted like dirt, but it ended up being one of the best highs I've ever had - way, way better than the vast majority of the top-grade medicinal herb I've been plunking down $50-$60 for in LA. (Even $70 once. What an idiot.) This is what got me thinking something was wrong with this picture and maybe I should try to become self-sufficient cannabis farmer/consumer. :)

So, anyway, here's a mockup of the layout:

picture.php

The space is pretty much exactly 4m across by almost 2m deep, so this works out well to allow 1 square meter per plant. As you can see, I intend to hide my plants with a few other plants. I'm a bit of a salsa fiend, so I'm going to try to grow as many ingredients as I can for super fresh homemade salsa - primarily tomatoes, of course, but also cilantro, serrano chiles, maybe even onions though I've never attempted them before.

The back of the garden is actually up against a fairly high/steep hill, so while that's also good for camoflauge, one foreseeable problem is that these plants may only get about 6+ hours of direct sunlight everyday, from high noonish until sundown. That said, there is a lot of indirect sunlight and it's a pretty damn hot Southern California sun. Last year I grew tomatoes in an even shadier spot and it was so hot I barely kept them alive.

Because I have 10 of each seed, my plan is to grow 3 of each plant in hopes of landing at least one mother of each. My plan is to grow them in pots until I can determine sex, keep the best looking mothers of each and plant them in the ground per my layout above.

I've already germinated several seeds and have some babies going. I started by germinating 3 beans each - CK, WB and Truth.

All three of the CK seeds popped and I planted each of them in a small pot - so far they seem like pretty healthy babies! One of them is inexplicably growing much faster than the others.

One WB seed didn't pop, but I planted the other two. Unfortunately, I came home and found one of the WB sprouts laying on top of the soil in the pot. My only assumption is that a bird might have seen it popping out of the soil, thought it was a worm and yanked it out. Stupid bird. So, for WB I've got one baby and I'm currently germinating two more seeds.

All 3 Truth seeds germinated as well, but i let them grow a little too long in the paper towel and i broke one of them when I planted it. Shit. I've already germinated another seed which I found popped a few hours ago, so I'll most likely plant that tomorrow. The two babies I did plant seem to be doing well.

Insects are definitely going to be an issue. I've already found small green aphids and something took a nice bite out of one of my CK leaves. Not sure what to do about this, if anything. Seems like it's going to be pretty unavoidable outdoors, especially if I grow tomatoes, but maybe there is some way to keep them at bay?

I'm making my own simple soil mix based on a bunch of reading I've done in these forums, as well as some impulse buys. Here's what I have so far. I was considering adding another bag of sphagnum moss. Any other recommendations? I haven't mixed it together yet, so if you see any red flags please let me know!

2 x Fox Farm Organic Planting Mix (1 cubic foot each)
1 x Royal Gold Tupur (2 Cubic feet)
1 x Black Gold Perlite - 8 qts

Plus, I think I'll mix in a cubic foot of the existing natural soil.

As for Nutrients, as I mentioned I want to be completely organic if at all possible and keep fertilizers and nutrients to a minimum. For now my plan is to use only these:

- Happy Frog All Purpose (add to initial soil mix and add according to schedule thereafter.)
- Humbolt Grow Natural (got this when I found out through these forums that Fox Farms Grow Big was not Organic. This was surprising to me. Obviously it's possible to make organic grow nutrients, why aren't they doing it?)
- Fox Farms Big Bloom (since I switched to the Humboldt Grow, I'm now wondering if I should also switch to Humboldt Bloom Natural for consistency? I have no idea.)

Although these are organic nutes I still plan to use them sparingly. I read a DJ Short article where he said he uses half of the suggested amount. Since two of my strains come from his world, I figured I'd follow his lead on this.

So that's where I'm at! Still at least a month until I plant in the ground most likely, I'll just be letting them grow in the meantime. I think I messed up and put the seeds in too small of starter pots, so I will probably end up transplanting into larger pots in a few weeks. Hate to do the double transplant, I just wasn't thinking. Should be okay though, I hope.

Alright, thanks a lot for reading and please let me know if you have any suggestions!

I realize this is a very minor garden so it might not be worthy of a ton of attention, but even though it's small I'm super motivated to do as good a job as I possibly can and grow as high quality of herb as in these circumstances. That's why I ended up here! And all of your help is already super appreciated.

Thanks again!

G

greenmatter

are you doing this in pots or are you planting in the ground?

G

greenmatter

i have no idea what your soil is like but around here compost, leaf mold and worm castings are the way to go.

if you have a month before you plant i would start working the soil now and tracking down some amendments ASAP ...... kelp, alfalfa, fish and fish bone meals would be on my list along with lime, gypsum and azomite

money and what i can actually get my hands on always have an impact on my garden ...... all the good stuff that people are using for indoor soil mixes work great outside too

read gascan's thread

i have no idea what your soil is like but around here compost, leaf mold and worm castings are the way to go.

if you have a month before you plant i would start working the soil now and tracking down some amendments ASAP ...... kelp, alfalfa, fish and fish bone meals would be on my list along with lime, gypsum and azomite

money and what i can actually get my hands on always have an impact on my garden ...... all the good stuff that people are using for indoor soil mixes work great outside too

read gascan's thread

Awesome, thanks for the info. And here I was hoping to get away with just using commercially available stuff. :) Nah, I knew my mix was just the beginning, but I must admit I wasn't prepared for the amount of ingredients in Gascanastan's thread!

So, I think the soils I've already purchased are probably good enough to cover the earthworm castings, perlite, coco and most of the moss. I can find peat moss and vermiculite easily enough, but the rest of the stuff I'll have to go hunting for.

Shamefully I do not make my own compost, and i think it's too late now so I'll have to buy some. I just found out that Griffith Park in LA creates compost from leaves, etc. from the park and manure from the nearby la zoo! That's pretty awesome, so i'll probably get that. How can elephant poop not result in top notch herb?

Beyond that I have zero idea where to find the lime components or any of the meals, but I'll research it and track them down.

Thanks man!

Okay so in the past week I've been collecting soil components and additives based on Gascanastan's thread and greenmatter's suggestions above. So here is my current list of soil ingredients...

Gardner & Bloome Soil Building Compost
Royal Gold Tupur
Fox Farms Planting Mix
Fox Farms Ocean Forest
Fox Farms Marine Cuisine
Happy Frog All Purpose
Perlite
Vermiculite
Alfalfa Meal
Kelp Meal
Blood Meal
Azomite
Dolomite Lime
Gypsum
Neem Leaf Powder

My thinking was that the combo of the Fox Farms Ocean Forest & Marine Cuisine would be a suitable substitute for Fish, Bone, Oyster and Crab Meals.

So my plan is just to figure out the correct portions based on Gascanastan's suggestions and mix them all together in a big 50 gallon Sterilite container.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

G

greenmatter

i would take all the Fox Farm stuff back and spend the money on peat moss and amendments. in the end you would get more for less ........ but the clock is ticking

Hash Man

Um, i just re read your original post have a few thoughts. You said you are not worried about flavor, potency, or yield, and cited some costa rican nugs that were brown but had a good effect. Those nugs were once green bud, but sat around or were pressed, forming the brown color you refer to. And while you may not be concerned with looks, potency, or flavor, those factors are generally indicitive of high quality effects.

Also, all those different ammendments and soils are not neccessary. you are going to overdo it with all that stuff. Take all that back, and go get yourself some Amazon Bloom and some peat, perlite, rainbow mix grow/bloom, insect frass, high N bat guano , and some great white and you are set.

SunGrown

Yeah, I think people missed the obvious and important factor of 3x3 spacing.

I would skip all those added amendments and buy some ocean forest or happy frog potting soil for your holes. Happy frog is 2 cu ft a bag for $12 each and is amazing stuff. Add to that some chunky perlite and mycos and your world will rock. The rainbow mix grow and bloom HashMan recommended are perfect for your fertilizing needs.

One thing I never use is vermiculite. I have personally seen plenty of times where it causes root rot, may be beneficial in a guerilla grow when water isn't as available but even then I wouldn't use it.

I would use the seeds you have started only as moms. Take cuts from the best ones in may or even June and plant as late as mid July. And train them to stay low even then.

I have planted in July plenty of times and still ended up with 8 foot round bushes" they get much bigger much faster than you think! When I plant in may or June my plants typically reach 12 or more feet in circumference and height.

Hope this helps!

SunGrown

Forgot to add, the compost u found from the local facility is probably perfectly fine to use too as long as you add chunky perlite and mycos to it.

G

greenmatter

Yeah, I think people missed the obvious and important factor of 3x3 spacing.

i guess i did miss something.

i'm not trying to start a spitting contest but i just don't understand why 3x3 spacing would make it so that buying bagged soil is a must. the OP has a month before he said he wanted to plant, so why not mix his own soil? IME it is a lot less expensive and you get better soil for the effort while you are learning how to do things for yourself. seems like an all around win to me.

i have nothing against FFOF and all the other FF products, i am just not a fan of their price tags

and i would agree with you on the vermiculite! but i don't know for sure because i don't know what kind of soil the OP is dealing with

SunGrown

Green matter, you are absolutely right, learning to mix your own soil makes good sense, and honestly his native soil with some perlite, mycos, and some dr earth life would probably work just fine. The bagged soil just makes some sense for someone who isn't sure what to do and in a space that small. I've pulled 2 lbs from one bag of happy frog before so I know what can happen.

I would go light with amendments and food even if planting in July with only 3 foot spacing, they will become an entangled mess which may lead to air flow issues and potentially mold issues later in the year.

coldcanna

Veteran
Why not use 100 gallon smart pots? You'd have any easier time maintaining the right moisture level, ph, nutrient application, and it'd help out with any pests that might be in the soil there.... just a thought

coldcanna

Veteran
Oh almost forgot... I've been looking for a good organic nute product myself, people have been telling me to check out Earth Juice and General Organics which you can find on htgsupply's website. hope this helps

Latest posts

Latest posts