What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

C.L.S. Mistakes, Failures and Malfunctions...

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
we do single pass bottom flooding and it works great...we utilize the pressure of a 125# room temp tank pushed thru a heat exchanger and generally do 3x the initial flood time then dump....best way to get a -40c bottom flood for 4" ers to flow. With tank pressure assist it takes about 60-90 seconds to fill a 4" column

So you flood / soak for 6 mins from the time the column is completely filled, then dump the column and reclaim, for a total exposure time of 7.5 minutes of solvent and material?

Does your yield change if you allow for a longer single pass?

:joint:

Permacultuure

Veteran
So you flood / soak for 6 mins from the time the column is completely filled, then dump the column and reclaim, for a total exposure time of 7.5 minutes of solvent and material?

Does your yield change if you allow for a longer single pass?

Yes speaking very generally. There's often issues that change the flood time total. When using an upper sight glass it rarely runs clear. When using the machines with only viewing ports I'll often push the limits a bit more....maybe an extra minute. I've found that the majority of what we're after in high end concentrates is pulled in the first two columns worth.....Regis did an experiment pushing one flood into another spool then top showering into the lower spool. Was almost 80/20 if I remember correctly.....

Faxon

So, second post here (also hi permaculture I recognize your name from reddit) ever. Thought I'd chime in with my own failure so others don't make it, and ask for some basic advice. I accidentally left my scale set to kilos, and pumped my 1lb bhogart's collection chamber to the brim with butane while the recovery pump was running. I know for a fact I got a bit of butane with wax in it in the recovery tank, but I've got another 30lb tank on the way that I can distill the whole old tank into. My concern is the pump + drying filter. My TR21 is probably okay, since it was just a tiny bit of wax and the pump was sucking liquid at that point, and it's gonna get all the butane I have in my original 5lb tank + the 30lb tank I have run through it, but should I get a new filter before running the system again? It's getting some capacity upgrades soon in the mail, an 18" terpp dewaxing column, 18" secondary column, 6" collection pot upgrade (same size now as mkiii pot) and ball valves to run as either 2lb soak or 1.5lb soak + inline buchners dewax tube, and I figured I'd make sure I'm not gonna mess something up here. I don't have cryo safe hoses yet so I've been opening the system at the end of the day with some liquid still left in it to use dry ice to dewax with since my system's been pulling way to much plant wax/lipids, and I figured that I'd test out converting the CLS to run this way as an option since I only needed a few extra parts. If it's wasted money on this project no harm, I'm building a 5lb system as soon as this last seasons harvest is done being processed for everybody

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
So, second post here (also hi permaculture I recognize your name from reddit) ever. Thought I'd chime in with my own failure so others don't make it, and ask for some basic advice. I accidentally left my scale set to kilos, and pumped my 1lb bhogart's collection chamber to the brim with butane while the recovery pump was running. I know for a fact I got a bit of butane with wax in it in the recovery tank, but I've got another 30lb tank on the way that I can distill the whole old tank into. My concern is the pump + drying filter. My TR21 is probably okay, since it was just a tiny bit of wax and the pump was sucking liquid at that point, and it's gonna get all the butane I have in my original 5lb tank + the 30lb tank I have run through it, but should I get a new filter before running the system again? It's getting some capacity upgrades soon in the mail, an 18" terpp dewaxing column, 18" secondary column, 6" collection pot upgrade (same size now as mkiii pot) and ball valves to run as either 2lb soak or 1.5lb soak + inline buchners dewax tube, and I figured I'd make sure I'm not gonna mess something up here. I don't have cryo safe hoses yet so I've been opening the system at the end of the day with some liquid still left in it to use dry ice to dewax with since my system's been pulling way to much plant wax/lipids, and I figured that I'd test out converting the CLS to run this way as an option since I only needed a few extra parts. If it's wasted money on this project no harm, I'm building a 5lb system as soon as this last seasons harvest is done being processed for everybody

Check out some of the other threads in the concentrate forum. Most of us are unhappy with the off the shelf dryer filter options and are working to create better alternatives (molecular sieve).

About a year ago I was running a modified lil terp outside in an open shed. After doing a run, I vented the column but forgot to check the gauge before removing it. I popped the triclamp off the bottom and it had just enough pressure to dump the entire contents of my 6 oz column into a 110F water bath and on the floor around it. At that moment my A419 kicked on the Oster skillet which was making contact and... Woosh! The trim on the floor and residual tane lit up instantly! Fortunately I wasn't standing right next to it and if it wasn't for my buddy's quick reaction, killing the generator outside and throwing a towel over the fire, it could've been catastrophic. It all happened so fast that after an hour of collecting our nerves, we popped the collection tank open and were still able to finish that extraction (made some nice shatter too!) Thankfully no one was hurt and we only lost an A419 and a viton screen in the fire.

Moral of the story: always check your gauges!