What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

By Far THE BEST Rooting Gel, Dip, Powder I Have Ever Used!!

supermanlives

Veteran
olivia has no rooting compounds just weak ferts. i use woods now 1.03 % i3ba .66 naa. but i have used green light and a few other powders

Last edited:
olivia has no rooting compounds just weak ferts. i use woods now 1.03 % i3ba .66 naa. but i have used green light and a few other powders
I know. Despite that I always got good results with olivias. Of course, there is more to successful cloning than the rooting hormone, or lack thereof. But everythign else being equal, I always had less successful results with clonex (which does have the IBL).

Using this inexpensive rooting hormone powder improved my cloning without me having to change anythign else. I am now at 100% at 10 days. Reliably.

eyes

Veteran
i have dip n gro. says dont get on ya, wear shoes, gloves, mask, protect your eyes. then i thought: i dont want people smoking these chemicals. so, i dont use it.plain water for me only. i also dont spray my plants with any kinda chemicals or anything. never. alls ive used is einstein neem. that was way back.

Floridian

Veteran
Damn Krunch isnt right my rootech has indol butyric acid too..O well I've used gels for over 10 years I may like powder better.So far rootech gel is the best I've used

Chimera

Genetic Resource Management
Veteran
olivia has no rooting compounds just weak ferts. i use woods now 1.03 % i3ba .66 naa.

People should check the ingredients on any rooting hormone they plan on using.

IBA is the most affective rooting hormone (auxin) for cannabis, however it should not be used in conjunction with hormone such as NAA. IBA and NAA together promote the formation of callus, not roots, and these 2 hormones used in conjunction will actually slow your rooting rather than encouraging it.

I find powders much more effective than gels, are cheaper, and don't contaminate as easily as gels such as rootech, Roots, Olivia's etc.

-Chimera

quick question...............gonna try this powder in the near future on some cloning. What prep should I do with the cubes?................soak them in a 5.5 ph water bath or just mosten them with it? been a aero cloner for years but wanna give this a go and try to avoid buying one.

Thanks ccgg

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have these 2 powders. I only use one or the other.

Green Light Organic Rooting Hormone

Gulfstream 7803 Gardentech Root Boost Powder

I was going to pick up this one as well. It is for hard to root plants..
Hormex Rooting Powder Number 8 Difficult to Propagate Plants

T

thesloppy

IBA is the most affective rooting hormone (auxin) for cannabis, however it should not be used in conjunction with hormone such as NAA. IBA and NAA together promote the formation of callus, not roots, and these 2 hormones used in conjunction will actually slow your rooting rather than encouraging it.

-Chimera

Hey Chimera, intriguing post. Can I ask the obvious question: If IBA and NAA shouldn't be used together, why do all the leading liquid cloning solutions (Dip n' Grow, Superthrive, Dyna Grow) do so?

I hope that doesn't sound like a challenge or anything, I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about, and am just curious to hear the answer because I''ve been window shopping for lots of the liquid rooting hormones recently (because I clone in water and perlite and the powders wash off). I did definitely take notice that all the liquid rooting hormones combine IBA and NAA, whilst most of the powders just use straight IBA, and I'd be interested to know why that is, especially if you maintain it's not beneficial. After using powders for years, I just recently switched to using a liquid hormone that does have IBA and NAA, and I've convinced myself that it's actually been much quicker, but as noted A) I clone in pretty much straight water, which can be slow B) and the rooting powders tend to wash off before they can be too effective, and C) I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about. Most importantly, I haven't done enough runs/clones with the liquid stuff to really judge effectively, considering variations for condition/strain/luck/whatever.

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
quick question...............gonna try this powder in the near future on some cloning. What prep should I do with the cubes?................soak them in a 5.5 ph water bath or just mosten them with it? been a aero cloner for years but wanna give this a go and try to avoid buying one.

Thanks ccgg

Cut clones and put into 50% COLD TAP water, 50% RO water for 24 hours before you put them in cubes..

Use a cloning tray AND cloning insert...

Soak cubes in 5.5-5.8 RO water for 1 hour, nutrient is unnecessary...

Try to remove most off the water from cubes before cloning by raising the insert out the cloning tray, the water will fall from the cubes...

Dip and Poke...

Heating mat at 84F. Dome for first 3 days, then remove, 5-7th day roots flying out the bottom...

Chimera

Veteran
thesloppy,

I would suspect these companies use this formulation because it is useful and effective across a wide set of species, and because they were not directly marketed as cannabis specific and are market instead towards the standard nursery industry.

You can easily make cannabis cuttings without any hormone in highly oxygenated water, but the addition of dilute amounts of IBA does speed up the process a little bit. In tissue culture applications, where all the hormones are added to the nutrient profile of the medium, it really makes a difference and you can actually see the effects of each hormone when used in one mix and not in another.

In cannabis, like I said the use of NAA will actually slow the rooting process and encourage stems to swell and callus to form. You can also get IBA in a liquid form, but it gets expensive mixing up multiple gallons of water @ 3% IBA.

The most important thing is keeping everything clean, avoiding the growth of fungus and bacteria, not taxing the plant with too much light, and keeping the temperatures of the medium warm as Krunch suggests above.

The method I use is almost identical to Krunch's, and the principle is identical... I just dip bottom inch of the clone's stem in water before dipping it in the powder, which helps the powder adhere to the stem, and allows the hormone to remain in contact with the stem (where it exerts it's effect) throughout the rooting process.

Hope that clarifies a little,
-Chimera

T

thesloppy

Thanks, Chimera! Do you think it's possible that due to cannabis'es diversity some varietals might see a benefit (or at least not as much detriment) from the presence of NAA, or is it a pretty constant and consistent attribute? Regarding IBA in liquid form, I read somewhere that powdered IBA dissolves in alcohol, so I once tried to make my own cheap liquid IBA solution out of some powdered rooting hormone, some 99% ISO, and a handful of bad math but I didn't have much success.

Chimera

Veteran
Do you think it's possible that due to cannabis'es diversity some varietals might see a benefit (or at least not as much detriment) from the presence of NAA, or is it a pretty constant and consistent attribute?

No, I don't think it's possible some varieties benefit from the addition of NAA. As mentioned above, in cannabis NAA when combined with IBA will slow rooting, and induce callus formation.

Regarding IBA in liquid form, I read somewhere that powdered IBA dissolves in alcohol, so I once tried to make my own cheap liquid IBA solution out of some powdered rooting hormone, some 99% ISO, and a handful of bad math but I didn't have much success.

IBA in rooting compounds in present in the order of 1-5%, the majority of the product is inert filler. To create a solution with a concentration of IBA high enough to have an effect, you would be making cloning mud rather than making an IBA solution, and the concentration of ISO in the mud would be toxic to the plant.

If you want an IBA solution in liquid form, buy a concentrated IBA solution. However, as mentioned previously, this is not economically effective for creating solutions for making cuttings.

-Chimera

T

thesloppy

To create a solution with a concentration of IBA high enough to have an effect, you would be making cloning mud rather than making an IBA solution, and the concentration of ISO in the mud would be toxic to the plant.

Yeah, that's about as far as I got before realizing "Well, this is obviously stupid"

If you want an IBA solution in liquid form, buy a concentrated IBA solution. However, as mentioned previously, this is not economically effective for creating solutions for making cuttings.

-Chimera[/QUOTE]

Thanks again for the answers. Are you familiar with the Rhizopon water soluble IBA tablets/salts someone mentioned upthread? That's about as close as I've been able to find to an economically viable solution (and it's still not what I'd call cheap). I haven't been successful at finding any useful information/reviews, but I'm still intrigued, and might pick up a small pack of tablets to test out some time. Love to hear if you've any experience/opinions specific to this stuff:

http://www.hummert.com/ProductSearchList.aspx?Text=iba&Type=NumberOrName

moonymonkey

thanks for posting this thread,there are people me included wanted to know if the rooting gel was a problem wen you put it on the sides of clones....

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I like using IAA solubilized in 99% ISO then mixed in some 90 deg tap water + 1/4 tsp RapidStart to Pre-soak the Root Riot cubes I use. Crazy roots in 7 to 10 days.

Latest posts

Latest posts