What's new

Butte's 2007 Outdoor - "In the trenches..."

Tom Hill

Veteran
Butte,

I am thoroughly impressed my friend- glued to my seat & grinning ear to ear. It feels so good to see someone put this much thought & effort into it- learning from past mistakes & forging ahead. I have no doubt that you're gunna give us all a run for our money this year.

Here's to you amigo,

Tom

Tom Hill

Veteran
I particularly like that last pic :D

Have you taken your light extending plan right into their final homes with them? Lol, I love it. Another grower might have gone back to seed starts from the frustration of it all & end up with med quality 1 in 20- But this man absolutely refuses to be beat by early flowering.
When I first saw this garden my eye twitched a little I admit, & I plugged in a Snowcap for good measure lol.

"I chopped off some flowering tops from a Purps a friend was vegg'ing and it seemed to stall. Would it have stalled if I had left the tops on? I don’t know. Maybe."

Budding hormones have accumulated & the best/fastest way back to veg is to remove them, exactly as you did.

A nod of respect & best wishes my friend,
Tom

Dignan

The Soapmaker!
Veteran
shiva das said:
Butte...
looks great.
Question..I read where, I think it was last year, that your plants were put out too early. What happened to the final crop? A friend of mine put his plants out to early too this year,,,april 8th. When I saw them two weeks ago I couldn't believe my eyes. Tehy were into serious flowering stage. I told him it would take a good month to regen back to veg....What else should happen....I guess I am more intrested in the final outcome....can you enlighten me on your past problems with pre-flowering.
thanks,
Shiva das

I tend to wonder about people's photoperiods when they start their plants indoors, i.e. the indoor photoperiod vs. the photoperiod outdoors on the day they plant out.

So to expand on the question... Butte, what photoperiod do you start your seedlings/clones out on?

Thanks!

Looks so very incredible. Happy growing!

shiva das

I have read where people were having the same problem when they up out on 4/20. Another couple of weeks and the plants look like they be back to veg....they're gonna be huge!!!
Shiva

G

Hey hey hey THUMBS UP and smiling!

Hey hey hey THUMBS UP and smiling!

Well ALRIGHT NOW my man!!!!!!!!

Your gonna give ME a run for the money this grow!~ :wave:
ill be damed this is gonna make me feel better i bet! :joint:
THANKS for havin the BALLZ to post my friend.....
THis place is gettin better hehehehehhee!!! :woohoo:

PazVerdeRadical

all praises are due to the Most High
Veteran
so this is what one does when doing a legal medical grow? much kick ass!
great plot preparation, all them plants look very healthy and vigourous :respect:

much peace!

LORD BENIS

Same question...
How exactly do you incorporate the HID light to prevent early flowering?
Do you run it in the morning before the sun or at night as it's setting, and for how long before you let them sleep?
P.S. BIG PROPS

elkslayer

Very impressive Butte. The only thing I would have done different is spread them cheese a little more. That cut, though will never win ya a bag appeal award, is just unreal outside in Norcal sun. Hands down the most requested strain of mine, bar-none. If ya back peddle to my 06 OD thread you can see quite a few of the elites medically grown in Norcal.

Much respect, and I can't wait till next year for my tractor. :)

BTW- if your used to Bubba indoors, the bubba out isn't an impresser. It much nicer in. A friend is running a selfed bubba x PI cross with multiple pheno's done inside. It will be fun to see how they fair under the great metal Halide of the sky.

TH- glad to see ya around again.

ES

Butte

Veteran
Hello all

Thanks for all the great feedback; it’s a major encouragement that I’m on the right track when I start hearing people who’ve I’ve always looked up to start to comment positively. :woohoo:

I was actually on vacation out of state ‘till late last night and had friends checking in on the plot and the chickens. Things went relatively well with a small water emergency on Sunday that was handled exceptionally well…THANKS, M!!!

It’s always nice to leave for a spell and come back to see the new growth. Daily evaluation is great for keeping on top of things, but ‘robs’ you of the ability to see how much they’re really taking off! I’ve got a grip of things to do today, so I probably won’t get any pics up till a little later this week, but things look great.

Just before I left I got the drip system fully installed and I’ll put up some details of that as well. It’s amazing how many parts and pieces you have when you start multiplying everything by eighteen!

I’ll hit a few questions while I finish this cup of coffee then I gotta get busy...

shiva das said:
Question..I read where, I think it was last year, that your plants were put out too early. What happened to the final crop?

Well, I actually had to pull the one last year that was heavily in flower. However, I have heard of plants reverting...you just lose a lot of veg time. I believe it also depends on how hard it has triggered, too. However, I’m no expert on that by any stretch.

TomHill said:
Have you taken your light extending plan right into their final homes with them?

Dignan said:
So to expand on the question... Butte, what photoperiod do you start your seedlings/clones out on?

LORD BENIS said:
How exactly do you incorporate the HID light to prevent early flowering?
Do you run it in the morning before the sun or at night as it's setting, and for how long before you let them sleep?

I grouped these since they all sorta ask the same thing. I started most everything back in February under an 18/6 photoperiod under a 1000w inside. Then, in early April I put them out in the halfway house. The plastic I have for this house is probably only 70% light transmission, so this had an effect of hardening them off a bit while they got bigger. I followed DJ Highst’s advice (THANKS!) on the supplemental lighting program by taking the daylight hours and adding a bit of supplemental in the evening and in the morning. This meant the lights came on before the sun actually was totally down and ran till 11 to 12 PM. The lights went off and then back on around 3 or 4 in the morning till well after sunrise.

After a couple weeks under plastic, I moved them out into the full sun while still retaining the lighting schedule. Every few days (no schedule, just as I remembered), I would knock 15 minutes off the morning or the night so the “dark period” slowly got longer. The thought was to slowly bring the lighting back into a natural rhythm. I achieved this with only a couple 40w bulbs, too.

Once I wanted to put them in the ground, I did actually string up another couple rows of light to light up the main patch, too. Since I had brought power into the plot last year, this was relatively straightforward. As we’re almost to the solstice, I’m almost done with the supplemental, but I still have a couple hours to shave off the total time. Overkill? You bet! Flowering? Not on the plants that had this regimen. The one purps I put in that has triggered was being veg’ed under 3000w at 18/6 and it triggered on me. I think the intensity of the light is to blame for this as his cuts (from the same batch) had a lot more growth than those I had in the sun! Then, with a lesser degree of light outside, they flipped.

ES – nice looking plants. The cheese was the most memorable smoke of last summer and I am thoroughly looking forward to smoking it again. What are you growing out this year?

Thanks again everyone for stopping in and I’ll try to get some photos up soon...things look good!

Happy growing all - Butte

N

Neptune

Good detailed information Butte, thanks for the write up! I put out about 10 plants this year, from 1 gallon containers in my guerrilla growing canyon... put out around May 1st or so, and they definatly all went to bloom... I did not take any care to manage their light scheduals or match it to that of the outdoors, and this is what I get.. hehe! I have already replanted some of them that were still small enough to rip out, but I left a few SCBB that already look like they are week 3 budding.. perhaps I will get a few early harvests in July. I am shooting for 5-8oz per plant, though... i cannot grow trees where my plants are... :(

can't wait to see your Erkles get big.. I love outdoor erkle!

elkslayer

Butte said:
ES – nice looking plants. The cheese was the most memorable smoke of last summer and I am thoroughly looking forward to smoking it again. What are you growing out this year?

Hey Butte

Cheese
Humboldt Snow
Matanuska Thunderfuck x C99
Humboldt Lavender
GDP
Purple Indica
Urkle x Deep Chunk (cross I made)

And a couple for a friend for investigative purposes.

Original Diesel
Millies

Since I have water issues, I am only able to use 45 gallon pots. Things will change next year. I almost ran the SSH 8 weeker many are running up north, though many in my neighborhood already are. It was definitely early and impressive from what I saw on a few walk-through's.

Of everything I did last year, I would have really liked to see the cheese and Jack's Cleaner grown the way yourself and many other Norcaler's with tractors have the ability to grow. Cheese is a 10/21-ish, whereas JC is mid November. JC done your style would perhaps win many a yield award.

Anywho, I will eagerly follow this thread, and the best of luck too ya!!

ES

Last edited:

DimeBag65

You will not be forgotten
Veteran
Looking lovely butte, well put together grow and im really liking your set up. im having trouble with early flowering myself... so i just ran power to the garden as well... am going to have to add some lights up to end this quick like. Your plants are looking very healthy and happy, i will most definately be looking forward to watching your grow this season.

Dime

Last edited: