What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Butte County

Tyranny of the Majority

Tyranny of the Majority

The brexit vote reminds me of our county politics. Those who wanted to leave the EU were mostly older. Younger people wanted to stay by a good majority. So the old leave the young with a big mess. Same for the people of Scotland. They wanted to stay, but are now out of the EU, and considering another vote for independence.

When I looked at the voting results in Nevada County, a mostly rural county, the outlying areas were all against Measure W, meaning they wanted to allow outdoor growing of marijuana. Some areas as high as 80% against the measure. The city, and high density areas were for measure W. I don't blame them, who wants a smelly garden 20 feet from your back door?

I'm sure the Butte County vote was the same. Some areas embraced growing, and voted against measures A, G, and H, some areas reasonably consider it a nuisance, and voted for the measures.

The sad part is that if our government was doing its job, far more people could get what they wanted. If they had used the ordinances against nuisances that already existed, many of the complaints against growing wouldn't have happened. Measure A wouldn't have been needed. If they allowed growing in zones where there were few residents, and prohibited it in highly populated areas, more of their constituents would be served.

The old guys that run our county are using the democratic process to allow the people who might have never seen a garden but have a preconceived notion that pot is bad, to prohibit property owners miles away from a legal opportunity that bothers no one. If someone had the time and money to spend to get it on the ballot, a measure to ban rice growing in the county might pass using the same principle.

The democratic process only works properly if it is carried out by people who can put their prejudices aside and do their job.

FueledByTHC

Saw a fly over today in Berry Creek...

This is my 3rd year growing in Butte County. I'm hoping I don't get harassed. I'm on proper residency and on 3.5 + acres. I'm a honest grower and caretaker for locals residents. And have all to date recommendations.

Does anyone have any other information or news on what's been going down?

First post btw ☺️

S

Stone House

Choppers/planes getting a visual conformation on grows that have been reported by the general public. If the Pilot sees any other grows in the process he will report location to Code Enforcement.
Pilots also reporting greenhouses even though they cannot see inside them.
That is what Code Enforcement told my neighbor last season.
Also in Berry Creek last year a lady named Cathy C that lives on Bloomer Hill (Berry Creek) was reporting anything she saw on Google Earth that may have been a grow site in the past or current. She reported over 50 grow sites, few of them were active at the time.
Red and white planes and choppers are Cal-Fire looking for fires.

Code Enforcement

Code Enforcement

Yesterday I got a second hand report of a grow being tagged in the Berry Creek area. The first one that I've heard of.

S

Stone House

Saw small black helicopter fly over with some equipment hanging underneath.
Came back by a half hour later (flying low and fast, Berrycreek) without the equipment that was underneath.
Maybe the black chopper belongs to the power company, I've been told that from a friend but paid no attention at the time.
I haven't seen Code Enforcement on the hill at all this year.

theJointedOne

Veteran
Heard through the grapevine that everyone in Cambelville (tehama county but only accessible through butte) got notices on their gates.

2dialed

just got done reading the measure L, looks like it's gonna be a zoning and permitting thing for the cash croppers and 100sf for personal without needing a permit as long as you live in a ag zone. high density residential zones no growing even indoors. if it passes the vote they even allow permits for dispensary in butte county instead of delivery.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
hey guys, quick update, sorry haven't been here a lot, most of my feed is on Instagram now.

stay tuned to @ICFA530 and the hashtag #icfa530 for updates..sometimes I put them on my feed, or tag their profile.

You can also follow them on facebook for all county updates.

There is a BOS meeting on feb28th regarding changes under prop64.

The new rules state that properties of 5 acres or more can plant 6 outdoor plants. Every residence under that size can grow indoors in a detached structure.

Now, regarding 2016. Very light enforcement on the countys part. The SEU and sheriff busted several grows throughout the year but they were all related to extremely high plant counts and grows mostly Mexican or Hmong related. Firearms on site, thousands of plants, and in some cases guerilla related.

Butte county code enforcement did issue notices to people this year but only a couple hundred cases. We have started hearing back that the results have been good. One example, a grower was fined 48k for having a large 60 plant outdoor garden. Once the notice was given code enforcement NEVER came back, they didn't even have time to check. That case was just resolved in court under the guidance of Charnel James and was dropped to 12k with option for monthly payments. If you think about it, that's basically a financeable permit fee, unlike Calaveras or Humboldt where you gotta pay 10s of thousands up front.

Under new measure H, they have basically placed the burden of proof on us. Their job is to simply show up, verify theres a pot garden, issue a citation and fines, and then its up to you to chop the garden and show abatement.

Under measure H, I believe there was very little forced chopping of plants this year. In fact, almost every single garden I know that got cited or raided in 2015 was able to pull its crop off with no hassle. The choppers were very limited in 2016 due to our successful FAA lawsuit against low flying choppers. Also, butte and Yuba county have admitted publically to not flying the choppers due to budget issues, they now use small aircraft.

Some of the same guidelines still apply for a successful 2017 season.

1. COVER THAT CANOPY. even if you use shadecloth, or some PVC hoops and home depot plastic, cover up those plants. Adapt your grow style to where you can grow smaller plants in beds under cover. No visible pot gardens from the road or air give them NO PC for an inspection warrant. To our knowledge they almost stopped issueing inspection warrants. ALmost all citations were letters left at gates.

2. NEIGHBORS, keep them in good graces, keep your grow quiet and respectful of neighbors rights to privacy, and don't bring any nonsense around.

3. PROP64BITCH!! that's my new saying, even tho prop64 eventually fucks us in 2021 with corporate takeover, it has reduced all felonys to misdemeanors. I have personally spoken with Omar Figuerroa and several other attorneys and they all say that as long as you are just simply cultivating, even if you have over 99 plants, its a misdeamonor. THE ONLY EXEPTION THAT STILL REMAINS IS BHO MANUFACTURING WHICH IS STILL CONSIDERED FELONY manufacture of a controlled substance along with environmental fines. So keep those closed loops and any signs of BHO away from your grow site, tucked away nice and safe.

4. Guns are still a big no no, try and keep those hidden as well. You don't need your entire 15 gun arsenal at your grow site. Rent a storage unit or keep them at a clean house. Tuck a throwaway for a worker in the woods but keep guns to a minimum.

5. LARRY WAHL. one of ICFAs top priorities this year is to take out larry wahl. we are currently seeking a candidate to run against him, and will need some help to get this done and take out our biggest opponent on the BOS. I'm telling you guys, once Wahl falls, the rest of the BOS will come in line. Bill Connelly and Jessica ICFA are on good terms, they have expressed interest in issueing permits and have acknowledge prop64 changed the landscape.

6. PLANT PLANT PLANT. strength in numbers guys, and stay connected. I have started a new BUTTE GROWERS THREAD on Instagram. If you want to join drop me a DM @Frostboss420 and I will check you out and try to get you an invite. We have a great group of local growers in the area, once and a while we meet up for steak and drinks and talk shop. Lots of networking for genetics and clones, growtech info, labor, electrical, hvac, etc. Its always a blast everytime we go out.

Stay safe out there guys, keep those gates locked, keep your sup lights covered, and don't give up!

KGB47

"It's just a flesh wound"
Veteran
5. LARRY WAHL. one of ICFAs top priorities this year is to take out larry wahl. we are currently seeking a candidate to run against him, and will need some help to get this done and take out our biggest opponent on the BOS. I'm telling you guys, once Wahl falls, the rest of the BOS will come in line. Bill Connelly and Jessica ICFA are on good terms, they have expressed interest in issueing permits and have acknowledge prop64 changed the landscape.

You have a better chance at getting the sun to quit shining than you do at removing Larry Wahl from office, the only way you'll ever replace him is if you run a conservative with hidden pro-pot leanings against him or he retires.