What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

FarmerGreen

Must use heaps to fill up a tube that size I imagine.

I used to use a pvc pipe with caps on either end with holes in them, but last time I got a glass soft drink bottle that had a metal cap in which I pierced a whole.
It was good to be able to see and know for sure that the weed was completely submerged in butane and actually see how packed the weed was in there. Also I never got over the niggling feeling that the butane may leech some sort of chemical from the plastic, dont know if thats possible or not.

I never pack it too tight, but I certainly put as much in as I possibly can.

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
nycdfan042 said:
^^ how many cans of butane used tho?
The big tube takes six cans of butane. I run eight though. We weighed the material used to fill the big tube and it averaged at 60 grams. We made 23 grams of oil with 48 cans. We get master cases of vector though straight from vector and save on money that way. I would recommend a master case of fuel if you are planning on doing lots of extractions.

A

arne564

so basically:

you simply get a stainless steel tube no wider than 1.5'', put a mesh screen on the bottom, grind up your bud/trim and stick it in, put something to act as a plug on the top and poke a hole in it, heat up some water, get a pyrex dish and bring everything outside, inject the butane in the little hole that you poked over the pyrex dish until you're done, put your pyrex dish in the hot water until all the butane has evaporated, bring the heat pad outside and put your dish on it and set the heat pad on high for an hour and then on low for an hour, scrape and enjoy?

Last edited:

FarmerGreen

I try and not let the butane come out to fast so that the buds soaks for a little while.(I'm talking seconds rather than minutes, so not a real long time)

Horst Bulau

An excellent thread about an excellent cannabis product.

I have done this BHO thingy many, many times some years ago. Good stuff.

One question: I once put a stainless cup to purge in a bucket with obviously too hot water and it splashed a bit outside the cup before I picked it up, you know how it boils too hot. No big deal, it was easy to scrape the splashed stuff off the bucket because it stuck on the water surface level.

But : that splashed oil was yellow and kinda soft while everything else in the cup became much darker and harder. Some pics in this thread look like it. My normal oil always looked acceptably clear but was quite dark, I wonder what made this yellow " splash oil" in the first place? Can´t be a strain thing because we are talking one batch here. Only the splashed oil was yellow and paste like.

Water was about 60 C and winter air temp was below 0 C. Any ideas? I´ll try to reproduce this one day, need to make a new tube cause I don´t have the old one anymore. This thread is kinda waking me up, yum... :rasta:

( I made my tube from a glass chilli sauce bottle. Made a hole in the bottom with a Dremel and drilled many small holes to the original metal cap , also used coffee filter. )

It worked fine... next time I´ll make a bigger one if I find a nice bottle, this old one held less than an ounce of trim and popcorn.

Last edited:

chubbynugs

Registered Pothead
Veteran
arne564 said:
so basically:

you simply get a stainless steel tube no wider than 1.5'', put a mesh screen on the bottom, grind up your bud/trim and stick it in, put something to act as a plug on the top and poke a hole in it, heat up some water, get a pyrex dish and bring everything outside, inject the butane in the little hole that you poked over the pyrex dish until you're done, put your pyrex dish in the hot water until all the butane has evaporated, bring the heat pad outside and put your dish on it and set the heat pad on high for an hour and then on low for an hour, scrape and enjoy?
You only forgot one thing and that is popping the bubbles after you purge. I am constantly sitting there popping bubbles as it is fully purging.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
so ive been wasting maad material running two or three cans...i need to run at a minimum of four cans next time or five...i assume i packed it pretty tightly last time so i should compensate with more TANE:D

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
actually thats completely wrong. i ran about a tenth of a can recently, and got 2.3 grams from an amount of weed. when i ran another half a can or so, i only got 0.3 grams more. you only need about 100mls of tane for 14 grams of weed, to get up to 95% extraction. if you use twice as much tane you get the other 5%. your call there. 1 300ml cans is way too much for half and oz, and overkill even for running an oz.

lazyperson

easy to make, easy to purge of impurities. I love it when it gets the glass/wax consistency, then you know you have done your job.

FarmerGreen

Hashmasta-Kut said:
actually thats completely wrong. i ran about a tenth of a can recently, and got 2.3 grams from an amount of weed. when i ran another half a can or so, i only got 0.3 grams more. you only need about 100mls of tane for 14 grams of weed, to get up to 95% extraction. if you use twice as much tane you get the other 5%. your call there. 1 300ml cans is way too much for half and oz, and overkill even for running an oz.

So do you mean the weed isnt completely submerged in tane? Do you shake it up to make sure it touches all the weed?

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Theres a nice place that sells those horns you guys use for the 'hot knife', vape/gong slides, i see hashmasterkut has one and cheif mentioned he had one, curious about one id like to get or make my own, looks easy enough to make.... can you please tell me what kind of wire you use to fasten your "knife"? im gonna attempt to make my own piece...here is a link for the horn..looks pretty good quality...http://www.lotusglass.com/gongbell.html

any info on DIY "hot knife" slide/horn tutorials or tips id gladly appreciate it...ill report back here with my findings

Last edited:

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Chiefsmokingbud said:
This is the one I use and yes I know my cab is dusty, I'm lazy.

Im positive with the horn from the above link i posted and a little help from you guys i could make my own 'vape', i can weld a small "knife" pad but what kind of wiring can i use, that is bendable like that? is there a specific one? or any old ss wire?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
that wire used most likely galvanized baling wire. i use 18 guage.

farmer john you lost me there. of course the tane totally soaks the herb. my tube is completely stuffed with weed and gets saturated. it only takes about 3-5 seconds of drip thru out the bottom of the tube to leach virtually all the oil i have found. about a 75 mls of tane will soak 14 grams of weed and leak out as well some.

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok guys my first atempt at this. I used leaf material from one of my super sticky girls. Thisis what I got. I would like to know the brand of Butain you guys use. I just picked up some tripple refined Nibo Butane

Last edited:

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Im certainly not an expert but id say that it needs to be purged a little more? the large clump on the razor seems like it needs a bit more purging, while the stuff on the paper looks perfect :) Delicious looking :) I have about 40 +/- a gram or two, trying to find a place with cheaper butane.
The head shop i went to kicked me out because "i smelled like pot", the lady said i can come back another day when i dont smell like pot, i didnt say i word and left and i plan on never going back( i didnt have weed on me all tho i did smoke a spliff of chem D with BHO in it so yea im sure i wreaked, thats NO reason to kick someone out of a head shop tho, i think the girl was probably really envious of my odor, she probably smokes mids or something) but unfortunately its the only place that sells cans of vector for 10$( i know i can order online, but right now my current situation forces me to buy things in cash at hand). So im searching for a place with butane, soon ill get some shots up i plan to run at least 4 cans this time, need to up my game here!

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
the stuff on the razor is just pasty. probably scraped from the edges of the dish. usually that stuff is purged well i think.

BubsNugs

how big are these cans?? sounds pricey

never made bho myself done lotta qwiso n love the stuff n iso is relativly cheap

Peace

o ya awsome thread :) pretty baked thought id mention it,well not that im baked but that the thread rox. lol probally gettin quite clear im baked

Last edited:

phattybudz

Haha, fuck. Heed the warnings and do this OUTSIDE. My roommate was boiling off the excess on the stove (while forgetting to open the window..) and I noticed a fireball out of the corner of my eye. I ran into bathroom like a cheetah and dumped out the bucket full of nutrient water and started to fill it with regular water but my roommate had put it out by the time I got there. Scary shit, especially considering we had a couple cases of butane in the cabinet a few feet from the stove.

Doing this outside from now on and getting bubble bags when I'm out of butane! :rasta: