What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

slipperysamus

Just finished reading the whole thing. Awesome. Has anyone tried filling the tubes with dried bubble bag (unpressed) product? how about kief. Im interested in large batches. How much butane (cases) would you estimate are needed to produce one pound of finished butane (using high grade indoor close trim)? Would 4 large tubes suffice (large okief, or similar sized homemade)?

How should I pack my tubes with the kief and or hash?

Can I blow butane through a tube with a bunch of high grade hash?

Thanks so much for any experienced answers.

O

otherwhitemeat

Guys, a quick question if you don't mind:

I just made a run of BHO and it came out looking like wet, cloudy green snot rather than nice clear honey. I've done BHO a few times now with much sucess (awesome thread, thanks!) and always got golden honey color but not sure if I made a mistake on the last run. It's a homemade device with a stainless turkey baster and a filter made of coffee filter and two layers of pillowcase material, it always seemed to work for me

Better filter? Longer purge? Too fine of a grind on the base material? If it's underpurged and I already collected it with a blade is there a way to purge it?

Any insights would be much appreciated, I'm having a party tomorrow night and would love to share my BHO with friends...but it looks more like Butane Snot Oil right now...

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
How much did you grind it. Usually if you wind up having dark really gooey afterwards, it's contamination and the result of breaking the material down too much prior. I just usually break mine up loosely

O

otherwhitemeat

Chief, thanks for responding. I usually put my trim and popcorn in a coffee grinder and hit the switch like 2-3 times for a 1/2 second each. I usually get a whole bunch of pieces that are about 1/2 inch or so. I think I was already high when doing this and ground it too much. I'll go and reread the first post again and make sure I have my technique down, I am sure there's a much better way to chop/prep the buds.

I basically did another run a little while ago and just ran it into the same glass tray with the green snot in it. I purged much better this time. The oil is now translucent green and looks much better, still not honey colored but I did a better purge and am much happier with the results.

Thanks for the input and for keeping this thread going. Lovin my BHO and it's all ready for my smokefest tonight!!!

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
I use one of these to chop
5164712361041P.JPG

$10 Bed bath and Beyond

phattybudz

"it’s not even known for sure what if any residues are left over in butane honey oil after the butane is purged.

Only a GC/MS (Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometer) can give us the info on what’s exactly is in our BHO. The search is on to find somewhere to get a sample tested."

Still no info on this eh?

the f.d.a considers both n-butane and iso-butane food safe...as a direct human food ingredient..its used all the time as a propellant and aerating agents..so its considered food safe even without the intense perge we give it....

scrappy

On the road to clone only...
Veteran
dale gribble said:
the f.d.a considers both n-butane and iso-butane food safe...as a direct human food ingredient..its used all the time as a propellant and aerating agents..so its considered food safe even without the intense perge we give it....

nice info...interesting :joint:

gramsci.antonio

Veteran
phattybudz said:
"it’s not even known for sure what if any residues are left over in butane honey oil after the butane is purged.

Only a GC/MS (Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectrometer) can give us the info on what’s exactly is in our BHO. The search is on to find somewhere to get a sample tested."

Still no info on this eh?

yes reaction stoichiometry of alkale groups is well known, after a purging done by mild heat no residual, apart from the ones you can find in the butane bottle, will be left in the product.

jimbob420

you are definitely grinding up ur stuff too much, I dont even grind it up at all, just run it all at first without breaking it up at all and you will get the most killer stuff u can make. Also to get a lb of dried bho you would need a shit ton of turkey basters and about 7 lbs of whole buds that are decently packed with trichs. Doing the math in my head its about 230 turkey basters full. I know u said u were going to use a bigger tube but I have only used the basters so its the only thing I know the specifics of.

have fun

billbob

love all the info and pics!
Am wondering how you all deal the stuff once done. I tried to get what I had into a little bottle and it got all over the place.

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
Just received my okief single tube....ordering two cans of vector right now. I have a 5 wk old hermie plant drying and about a zip of gonzo 1 trim...this weekend should be fun!!!! i will be using this tutorial the last time i made honey oil was with a honey bee extractor ..it worked but the tane wasnt purged right and tasted wierd!! i hope i dont dissapoint on my first try!! pix up this weekend! i cant friggin wait if i can get some butane sooner ill do it 2 morrow

Last edited:

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
jimbob420 said:
thats why I make budder, so much eaiser to handle.

i disagree completely. i hate budder for its bad handling characteristics. and also it loses its terpenes much faster. never make it.

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Hashmasta-Kut said:
i disagree completely. i hate budder for its bad handling characteristics. and also it loses its terpenes much faster. never make it.

I agree, just give me the rock hard sweet candy and I'm happy. I think the loss of terpenes might have something to do with the constant stirring/whipping adding o2 and releasing terpenes

nycdfan042

Its COOL to DROOL!!!!!!
Veteran
The yield is dissapointing but the quality is amazing. The gonzo 1 has a realy amazing candy taste this stuf is super sticky im sure if i had dried and cured this bud a little longer it would be rock hard BHO right now its in the middle, its pliable but hard in some areas if it makes sense, and burns really smooth if i coat a bud with oil the nugg seems tyo absorb the oil like a sponge..heres a couple of shots i didnt really take that many shots...
I used 45 grams of material and 4 cans of colibri(3oz each can). The yield was small i seem to get waaay more oil when i do QWISO.... the taste and stone are totally different im leaning towards the QWISO side for now but i love this oil:(hope its satisfactory)

Chiefsmokingbud

Slap-A-Ho tribe
Veteran
Did you unpack the tube and repack it and do a second run? Sometimes you get dry spots depending on how you pack it. I sometimes get .5 on a second run from my big tube so it would be a bit less from a smaller one.

Last edited:

jimbob420

lol, u know u are always there to say that hashmasta? It's like u stalk the forums like some kind of giant praying mantis or something looking for me talking bout budder :) its cool to each his own, I will agree with you about the terps thing cause it does taste better as an oil but I used to get that shit all over the place when I was high and tried to use it. Of course as we have discused it is prob much easier with ur ti-pad setup than just a bong. Nice to see ur still on the prowl either way...any recent concoctions? I have been learning to actually grow and I have a guy who should be hooking me up with some trim so hopefully I can do a couple of runs. The buds I am toking from him are fukin amazin. will post if anything comes of that. peace hash masta and all

Last edited: