What's new

Butane honey oil for dummies

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Well isn't the point of doing a quick wash to avoid pulling any chlorophyll through? By doing a water cure you're eliminating the possibility of this, as well as taking out other chemicals and leftover ferts and such. Doing this, and then drying the buds out as much as possible in a dehydrator shouldn't take more than 10 days at the most. A full watercure only takes a week, and drying shouldn't take too long, I'm not sure though as I don't have a dehydrator.

Wouldn't the only downside to this be a few extra days wait, with the payoff being even more pure oil?

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
you will not get more oil, because there is not more trichome heads after a water cure then before. in fact i'd say you will lose a few of the ripest trichome heads in the water cure, unless you are very careful and even then some terps are water soluable so you'd lose taste too.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I'm sorry, I didn't mean the quantity would be greater, just the quality. Less chloropyll and such that has the possibility of being pulled through = a more pure end product.

Keefhead

:wave: If I may poke my head in here for a moment. I've never done water cure, and don't plan on it except for an experiment. But I tell ya what bounty29, I'd love to have you do a run or two of each, and tell us, and yourself, which is better, or are they the same.

I don't have the material for such an experiment. However, I'd put a good ear to what gaiusmarius said. He has probably tried it himself, as have others here, and their advice is based on experience. JMHO - and I wish you luck on the test if you try it.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
It seems like most people have the view of watercure that gaiusmarius has.

"water cure is only useful for shwag man."

When that seems to be the general consensus, people discard it. gaius: if you have done this, and are speaking from experience, I apologize, but from the way you speak of watercuring it doesn't sound like you have. I will definitely do a side by side test once I get the chance.

If anyone has done this, I would love to hear their results.

LEGI0N

bounty29 said:
It seems like most people have the view of watercure that gaiusmarius has.

"water cure is only useful for shwag man."

When that seems to be the general consensus, people discard it. gaius: if you have done this, and are speaking from experience, I apologize, but from the way you speak of watercuring it doesn't sound like you have. I will definitely do a side by side test once I get the chance.

If anyone has done this, I would love to hear their results.

Dude, water cure is worthless.. If it turns good weed into crap then I think it will do the same to crap.. know what I mean?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
lol that's exactly what I'm talking about, do you care to tell me why it's "worthless"? Also, how exactly does it turn weed into crap?

I didn't come here planning on debating water cure with everyone, but I also didn't come here thinking nobody would be open-minded about this.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
because it takes the incredibly fine and strong smelling indoor cannabis and makes it smell and taste weaker then it did before the water cure. it bleaches it so to speak getting rid of chlorophyl i grant you, but also ridding it of oils and terps that are responsible for half the flavor of good bud. so you see its counter productive with quality indoor, as the chlorophyl will evaporate with time anyway.

when you have shwag on the other hand, and it tastes like shit, you then do a water cure, to make that shity taste milder, so you can still smoke it for the high if not the taste.

thats why i would never waste good bud on a water cure. i know the effect you achieve with a water cure. have seen it done and choked on the tasteless results. but in the end seeing is believing right? so if thats what it will take to convince you, then go ahead and experiment. i'll be interested to see what kind of bho you end up with?

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
I know all about the loss of taste and smell. My reasoning for making BHO is for a pure THC smoke, instead of smoking all the plant matter as well. I'm not going to be making BHO so I can have a tasty treat. I never said that doing it the way I proposed would make it taste or smell any better. Honestly, when I smoke weed, taste doesn't do much for me. I smoke to get high. If I want to taste smoke, I'll pull out my corncob pipe and pipe tobacco, which I can get for like $2/oz. But I smoke marijuana to get high, and that's the goal of the process I outlined.

Water curing makes marijuana more potent, in terms of the plant matter to THC ratios. This is what I was proposing for doing the water cure before BHO, a higher percentage of THC in the final product.

(I know THC isn't the only thing that gets you high, I just didn't feel like typing them all out.)

Edit: I'm sorry if I sound hostile, I don't mean to be argumentative. I'm not saying other ways of doing it are wrong, and I'm not saying the way I propose is right. No matter what I do, I will post the end result on here, for all of you to see and judge. I'm just trying to learn, and my original question, which I don't believe has been answered, was:

Will watercuring and dehydrating before doing a BHO run result in a higher concentration of cannabinoids in the final product, and less possible contamination?

Last edited:
G

Honestly, when I smoke weed, taste doesn't do much for me. I smoke to get high. If I want to taste smoke, I'll pull out my corncob pipe and pipe tobacco, which I can get for like $2/oz. But I smoke marijuana to get high, and that's the goal of the process I outlined

I never understood that, always makes me wonder... :chin:

Will watercuring and dehydrating before doing a BHO run result in a higher concentration of cannabinoids in the final product, and less possible contamination?

Possibly, if you are referring to shit herb. Shit herb meaning shady Cannabis which is adultered with chemicals or pesticides, then it would be cleaner. Why the heck would it contain more cannabinoids anyway, that makes no sense to me?

HOWEVER

If you grow your own herb or have a good source you trust, doing a water cure would definitely loose trichs and taste. Chlorophyl is not a big issue in BHO IMO to sacrifice taste and yield..

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
If a water cure is done correctly trichs aren't lost. There shouldn't be any agitation during water curing if done correctly. Trichs don't just fall off of buds.

What I meant was there won't be more cannabinoids overall, just a higher concentration. If I've read all of this correctly, then darker oil isn't as pure/good as lighter oil. What makes the oil dark? From what I've seen in this thread, not doing a wash quick enough and pulling through chlorophyll. So if the end product is say (purely speculation, I have no idea what actual percentages would be) 40% taste/smell (terpenoids?) 20% chlorophyll, and 40% THC/CBD/CBN(etc).

If you removed the terpenoids and chlorophyll before even doing a run, you might get a lower yield, but a much more pure product. I'm not sure how accurate these are, but I've seen that after a normal dry and cure, you'll have about 25% of the wet weight. If you do a watercure, you'll end up with about 15% of the weight. It weighs less, but it isn't any less potent. In fact, it's more potent because it's more concentrated. What might've taken 5 hits now only takes 3 hits.

Why would this not carry over after doing a BHO run? Less weight, higher concentration.

Last edited:

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
listen man when you make bho, the butane goes through the cannabis quite fast and it takes only the trichome heads, nothing else gets dissolved and collected in the concentrate other then the little trichome heads. so where i ask you is the contaminant you're on about? if oil is made correctly its as pure as it can get.

the other point to remember is that trichomes do actually just fall off the buds, specially the really ripe trichome heads can fall off with very little help. as a matter of fact the ripest best trichome heads are the ones that fall off the easiest.

it seems you only want to hear the answer that fits in with your way off looking at this matter. so i say again, i look forward to seeing and hearing all about your water cure experiments. if you really don't care about flavor then you will not lose much. might i suggest that you experiment with a small amount of product before you make any irrevocable decisions with your harvest.

most people love it when cannabis has a strong nice taste, lol.

look forward to your experiments.

peace out

G

He doesn't like taste, so maybe terpenoids are of no need for him, so my advice is --> Do it man, if you are happy and think you are getting any higher let us know...

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
OK.

I'm not going to do this to my entire harvest, I will definitely dry and jar cure a good portion to preserve the taste, smell, and normal smoke. I'm not looking for you guys to just say "Yup, you're right, we're wrong."

I just saw all of the butane runs in this thread, and the clarity of the oil varied a lot. If it was as easy as doing a quick wash with buds, and that's the best you can get, why is there so much of a variance here? I know some people use trim, some use buds, etc., but even when using just buds it seems like you could end up with dark oil, or you could end up with nice blonde oil, and the general consensus seems to be the blonde color is better.

I apologize for getting everyone all riled up, I'll talk to you all again here when I've done this. Thank you for your valuable input.

Edit: Flamengo - When I made the initial post here Hashmasta's post was the last one, you two posted while I was writing up a reply, I modified it to fit.

Last edited:
G

Maybe if one of you could give a post stating the logical reasons that this is a "bad" idea, and why it would just be "fucking up" then I'd understand, but I just feel like I'm being attacked for having this stupid thought

Bro, you are being redundant, please read GaiusMarius previous post. He states it as it is...

*edit - Why is it that you feel attacked? Some people ask for opinions, then can't handle them when it's a consensus....

Last edited:

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
The consensus was more about water curing being worthless, as opposed to answering my question, prior to the most recent posts. Also see my previous edit. I apologize for repeating myself, my questions have been answered, thank you.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i am not attacking you man, i'm trying to save you doing some thing that you might regret without first knowing what exactly you are doing.

the reason why all the oils don't look the same is because they are all made differently, from different strains, phenos. using different solvent, for different amount of times, with as you say trim or buds being used. but even after all that, the look of the oil still depends on how its been purged too. add too much heat while getting rid of bubbles and you'll turn amber colored oil dark. see what i'm getting at? it all looks different cause in many ways it is. when it comes to butane made oil, even the material that the extraction tube is made of makes a difference to the color of the oil.

bounty29

Custom User Title
Veteran
Yeah, I forgot about that last bit, the heating element used to purge has an effect. I am very sorry, I shouldn't have reacted like that. What I will probably end up doing is a side by side analysis, somewhere around a half oz of watercured/dehydrated bud, and a half oz of hang dried bud, from the same plant, most likely doing the runs one right after the other.

Hang the regular bud for a week so it gets as dry as possible, and while that's happeneing watercure the other half. I know that the results might not be that great, but if nobody ever does it, how will we ever know?

Again, I apologize for my attitude, and thank you for putting up with me.