What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Busted by Maintenance Men

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
You can laugh at their demand to vacate in 24 hours, that won't fly in any state of the Union. Tell them you'd prefer to stay rent free until they have a Court issued eviction order in hand. If you're so inclined tell them you'll take a 'cash for keys' fee and agree to move out and surrender the premises without the court proceeding. No reason to move though if you're going to be living at State expense in a few months. Put your rent money toward your lawyer's fees, it's only right they should pay him.

Yes, you need a lawyer, it doesn't matter whether they had permission to enter or not, they're not agents of the State.

Guiness

Lawyer yes.

However.. Not sure what your risk or conswquences are, but if you can stay out long enough for them to not be able to charge you (book you) you can ride out the statute of limitations. Once you have been charged, booked there is not statute of limitations.

C

CANNATOPIA

defiantly find a lawyer quickly & be carefull not too say too much untill he directs ya otherwise friend ;) Best of luck to you & yours.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Actually, Ohio has very lenient cannabis cultivation laws. Probably the best state to get caught growing illegally outside Cally. I think.

On paper this is true.

I've heard of a dude getting busted because his girlfriend had an arrest warrant. (This was in Ohio) The police came for her and found his grow, which was at least a dozen plants. They also found two unregistered handguns and a small amount of cocaine. The handguns were returned, the plants were dropped, and he got charged for the yay.

Then again, I heard of a dude in a different county who got "manufacturing narcotics" for 5 plants. It all depends on the judge. In a small town they are gonna try to make you look like a crime syndicate. In the bigger cities you probably won't even get charges.

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
Really, google your local landlord-tenant laws. Find out what your residency rights are, and tell those asshole 24 hours isn't enough notice. There may be some jurisdictions where they can have you out in 6 weeks to 2 months. Some places it can take a year. There is nothing they can do to you if you decline to be bullied around and don't allow them to violate your rights. Your landlord may already have committed a civil violation just for making such an outrageous demand. Don't be a patsy, stand up for your rights.

Guiness

I would head for California with the clothes on my back. Better than the legal expenses and possible losses to stick around long enough to get booked. I would not stick around any location with a possible felony charge pending.

T

tokinafaty420

I put in a work order for AC maintenance. I went to the office in person, scheduled it for Friday, and told them explicitly they do NOT have permission to enter.

They came today, found my grow in my apartment, and called the cops.

I got off work to find my place in shambles. They took everything. I found a search warrant and an itemized list of evidence they took.

I went into the office to talk, they say I have 24 hours to vacate. I asked why they entered even without my permission. She showed me the work order and it stated they had permission to enter.

I told her that was illegal entering of my house, and she said the contract specifies they can enter my apt at any time for specific reasons, and maintenance was one of them.

What do I do? I'm going to try to find a lawyer, but have very little money. Did they enter illegally?

Do I have a warrant? Do I turn myself in? Not sure where to take it from here.

I'd be packing up and leaving by now instead of posting. Find a new identity and don't be careless anymore.

Do I just wait for something to come in the mail? I called the police office and they said I have no warrants currently. I'm fucking beside myself.

Even more reason to get the fuck outta there now. Don't stick around unless you have family obligations you need to attend to. You could completely avoid any charge at all if you get out of there.

MarquisBlack

St. Elsewhere
Veteran
Really, google your local landlord-tenant laws. Find out what your residency rights are, and tell those asshole 24 hours isn't enough notice. There may be some jurisdictions where they can have you out in 6 weeks to 2 months. Some places it can take a year. There is nothing they can do to you if you decline to be bullied around and don't allow them to violate your rights. Your landlord may already have committed a civil violation just for making such an outrageous demand. Don't be a patsy, stand up for your rights.

For sure. That's why nowadays as soon as you're late on rent, they start the eviction proceedings. (Even if you're allowed to pay late with a late fee) This is because eviction is a very long process. They cannot just tell you to GTFO.

igrowone

Veteran
Some leases state that any Illegal Activity could result in termination of said lease ... Be Careful What You Sign ...

i'd be surprised if there is any lease that doesn't have that clause
at least these days

U

unseeded

This is pretty sad!I wish you the best of luck.I work maintenance and I have seen so many grows over the years you wouldnt believe.All of them were small grows but I allways felt bad because I was worried they would freak out once they knew I was there.Also have seen bags out with weed in them and pipes and stuff,money also.Never once did I say anything or take anything.I just hope I never scared anyone by my presence.No one was home in every visit.Say nothing!

Pythagllio

Patient Grower
Veteran
For sure. That's why nowadays as soon as you're late on rent, they start the eviction proceedings. (Even if you're allowed to pay late with a late fee) This is because eviction is a very long process. They cannot just tell you to GTFO.

It also extends to people with no lease and those who make no rent payments. If you invite that bum with a cardboard sign offering to work for money or food to spend a couple of nights on your garage floor he'd very likely establish tenancy and you could have to evict him to get him to leave legally if he refused to leave. Yes a smart landlord always starts the eviction process the minute the lease is violated. Heck CA requires 60 days notice to get the ball rolling in some cases. That's 60 days before you even get to think about scheduling a court date.

IWanaGetHiSoHi, yes, you'd have no chance upon conviction of not having the eviction order issued. But it doesn't matter what they put in the lease though, they can't force you to leave without the court order, unless you agree to do so. That doesn't mean you couldn't stay in the unit for several weeks or months before the Sheriff finally shows up to execute the eviction order. Normally I think that's a scumbag move but in this case the landlord is the asshole and deserves to lose everything that the OP can possibly take from him. OP also needs the money for the lawyer, and expense he wouldn't have suffered if the landlord hadn't violated him. Shit I wouldn't even surrender the unit without a Court order if I was in jail if this shit happened to me.

Guiness

dont run its another charge. interstate flight to avoid prosecution. good luck

It would only be flight to avoid prosecution IF HE WAS FORMALLY CHARGED.

Right now he is a suspect wanted in questioning at best.

If you can put some time behind being discovered and charged you are ahead of the game.

microbox

gtfo out the apartment thats for sure, getting picked up and took off to jail will screw up any plans , like someone said before its alot easier getting funds outside of jail than inside.

GET A LAWYER NOW, and he will tell you what to do....DO NOT get arrested without a lawyer on your side....Get a lawyer now.....thats the best advice you are going to get... Im not for sure, but it sounds like you have a case...your lawyer will tell you what to do from here. Just get one TOMORROW! Good luck man....more of the same, fucking bullshit. Im sorry that happened to you....be cool, try to stay positive and dont say 1 word to teh cops, when they come back to arrest you, first thiing you tell them is "Iwant a lawyer present" Thats it, nothing more. DO NOT ANSWER any questions, even if you think its a harmless question, nothing is harmless, its all going to be used against you. Lawyer up, now.

I would wait until you learn your charges before dealing with getting a lawyer. Sometimes you can get lucky and they don't bother following up on the case.

If you don't have any cash for a lawyer, Public Defenders can be decent, but it's luck of the draw on who you get. The judge will instruct you about council the day of your arraignment, just sit tight for now.

Bad advice.....lawyer up...why gamble, its your life we are talking about...If you dont catch any charges, you get your retainer back, no reason not to get a good lawyer....Check out NORMLS's site, they have a list of Canna friendly lawyers, for each state.....

People usually fuck themselves over by thinking they are smart or haven't done anything wrong, so they think if they talk to the cops and be cool to them, they will get out of trouble....It dont work like that....The first thing your lawyer is going to tell you is to shut your mouth and dont say a word....He knows the laws and what to say, and most importantly, what NOT to say to cops.....He will be your mouth piece...again, good luck...i hope the best for you.

Latest posts

Latest posts