What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bush Weed Seeds

funkyhorse

I am trying to help luck because I think sometimes luck is not enough
Bush weed seeds are not listed anymore so if you want the genetics OJD is only source, no competition

The original idea was to grow OJD's selection side by side with these seeds but it wasnt meant to be
And now that I see these plants from Bushweed or whoever made them, I think it is unfair to grow them side by side, they are 2 different things.
OJD's selection is an indoor selection of the plants leaning towards the NH21 side, if he got from his seeds plants like the ones I have that I believe are the Mullum from Kangativa, those should be culled by any indoor grower or breeder. If they dont go intersex, they will surely reveg while flowering indoors and is not tamable

These Bushweed seeds were grown and selected outdoors in the southern hemisphere. This southern hemisphere grower from Chile grew them outdoors and no hermie reports from him:
https://www.icmag.com/forum/marijua...-mullumbimby-madness-bushweed?t=378123&page=2
So when I got these seeds I had in mind these were very very rare southern hemisphere bred genetics outdoors and I am hoping if I grow them from babies outdoors they will not herm. I wonder if they will like the very humid environment with those big fat palm tree leaves
Selection from OJD and Bushweed seems to be very different, the one who made these Bushweed seeds was interested you get enough of these plants I believe lean to Kangativa Mullum which might be some polinesian shit, these dont look thai. These plants look like coconut tree. The other hazes thin leaf look like bamboos to me
They grow crazy, they are super happy in a 1,3 liter pot with just water as feeding. Once every 10 days or so they get some feed, thats it. They are grown in poor soil
I decided not to give them the uppot they need because by the day they sex they might reach well over 2 meters and they are not easy to work with at that size

I wonder if anybody know what this Kangativa Mullumbimby madness really is

OldCoolSativa
Beautiful buds man, enjoy! I would love to try OJD selection one day
I love fenotrigo buds, let me show you some home made fenotrigo drying at the moment. Sorry for picture quality, it is a rainy day and I am not a photographer but I hope you get the idea
Lemon Thai x (Seedsman Haze x Ohz90)
LT x Smoh.jpeg

(Lemon Thai x THH) x CG72
Lt x thh x cg72 (7).jpeg

Senegal Haze from Afropips x (Seedsman Hz x Golli Hz). This lucky cross is very interesting, all plants gave me fenotrigo buds. I believe it is an indoor lighting phenomena. I put 3 of this Senegal Haze cross outdoors to check if it will make fenotrigo too. Senegal Haze is coming from 1997 seed made by Nevil. I think the fenotrigo feature is locked somehow inside the genetics he did in 1997
Girl 2
Senegal haze 2 fenotrigo.jpeg

Girl 3
Senegal haze 3 fenotrigo.jpeg

Thunk x (Seedsman Hz x Ohz90)
Thunk x seedsman hz.jpeg

ojd
I understand you worked with the TFD Ohz and now I understand your words. Try sourcing the Seedsman Hz
When you cross the Seedsman Hz males with genetics containg real Haze, they bring you plants leaning to the mother and grandmother back in the progeny.
If you select and find some of those males, you can make some crazy top alchemy crosses with the gear you have and bring more magic back

Have a nice day everybody

Sub24ox7

Click image for larger version  Name:	5F883EB3-38D6-4A00-92DB-95D195BDB367.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	18082357
I’m very interested in the mm pure. The bushweed plants seemed to be more mm leaning. I got very interesting terps using the nh21xmm. Mint lime and even very strong wintergreen. I plan on exploring these more as the terps are outstanding.
Here is crumbled lime x nh21x mm smells like bubbblegum mint. Freaking incredible honestly and steamrolled crumbled lime traits.
this makes me want to explore more mulimby madness.

Last edited:

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
I am trying to help luck because I think sometimes luck is not enough
Bush weed seeds are not listed anymore so if you want the genetics OJD is only source, no competition

These Bushweed seeds were grown and selected outdoors in the southern hemisphere. This southern hemisphere grower from Chile grew them outdoors and no hermie reports from him:

So when I got these seeds I had in mind these were very very rare southern hemisphere bred genetics outdoors and I am hoping if I grow them from babies outdoors they will not herm. I wonder if they will like the very humid environment with those big fat palm tree leaves
Selection from OJD and Bushweed seems to be very different, the one who made these Bushweed seeds was interested you get enough of these plants I believe lean to Kangativa Mullum which might be some polinesian shit, these dont look thai. These plants look like coconut tree. The other hazes thin leaf look like bamboos to me
They grow crazy, they are super happy in a 1,3 liter pot with just water as feeding. Once every 10 days or so they get some feed, thats it. They are grown in poor soil
I decided not to give them the uppot they need because by the day they sex they might reach well over 2 meters and they are not easy to work with at that size

I wonder if anybody know what this Kangativa Mullumbimby madness really is

Mullumbimbi madness was not breed by Kanga he was given the seed around 85 the line was breed by hippies in the 70s in Main arm.

It MM is said to be a hybrid of Thai and Colombian school friends moved in with them in 78 and grew it and surfed until 84/85 then most moved because of police harassment,

This idea it will hermaphrodite indoors but not out doors is wishful thinking.

People have grown the same seed made by Nevil like NH21 x MM indoors to perfection with out any reports of male flowers.

2 different phinos of MM grown indoors.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2468 (3).JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	18082544

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2468 (3).JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.1 KB ID:	18082544

Sub24ox7

I tried a couple oss x mm outdoors and they hermied outside just the same at the same point in flowering.
I have had plants that hermie only indoors but the mm crosses from bushweed just grow male inflorescence outside or in for me. OJD’s selection was a whole other animal. Grew quick and vigorous without any problems.

goingrey

Some strains are definitely more likely to herm indoors than out. Not quite sure why, if there even is a common reason.

Chi13

ICMag Donor
I posted this article in the Kanga thread but probably worth putting here. I smoked several varieties in the late 70s, early 80's that claimed to be MM. Whether it was one variety or several who knows. My view is that it i a bit of a myth. There was excellent varieties grown up and down the coast and mountains in this area, all of it sativa or sat dom. This article is worth a read, especially the comments section (follow link), but I don't vouch for it's accuracy.
I live not all that far from Mullumbimby and go there a bit. There is still good pot to be had but not the MM.

The Mysterious ‘Mullumbimby Madness’

JULY 4, 2018

Table of Contents
6th May, 2019: This article was edited to correct a few inaccuracies. The original growers and their photographs have been properly credited in this version.

mullum-madness-1.jpg
Kangativa’s Mullumbimby grow in the 1980’s. Photos sourced from username Bushweed on the ICmag forums.
MULLUMBIMBY MADNESS WAS LIKE A MYTH WHEN WE WERE KIDS. EVERYONE KNEW SOMEONE WHO KNEW SOMEONE THAT HAD SMOKED IT OR HAD THE STRAIN, BUT YOU COULD NEVER REALLY GET YOUR HANDS ON IT.

For years, Aussie stoners have typically taken the legendary strain to be nothing more than a product of folklore. Many have claimed that the genetics live on in their own local operations. So, Mullumbimby Madness – is it still being cultivated somewhere out there? Was it ever really a thing?
Madness in the North

kangativa.jpg
Some vintage MM photography. This is Kangativa’s original grow in the 1980’s, from username ‘Kangativa’ – posted on the icmag forum.
It wasn’t long ago that Australia was experiencing a cannabis renaissance. A number of extremely potent strains had been cultivated by the new arrivals of the sixties and seventies. A cultural upheaval brought these alternative types away from the metropolis, with many choosing to settle deep in the lush forests and idyllic countryside of Northern NSW. This movement reached its peak during the 1973 Nimbin Aquarius Festival, where thousands of hippies made the region their home.

These hippies were basically the pioneers of the North Coast cannabis culture. With their tender love and care, Mullumbimby Madness (otherwise known as mull, madness or M.M.) entered the world. The strain was supposedly unparalleled — a particularly strong sativa that delivered a clean, long-lasting high.

Early on, the specimens associated with ‘Mullumbimby Madness’ were generally of a very high quality. The bud was everywhere, and quickly became known as the best outdoor sativa smoke that Australia had to offer. The strain’s notoriety lives on in etymologically in the word ‘mull’, which is Australian slang for cannabis.
cannamullummad.jpg
More photos of the grows whose genetics are used today to cultivate what they call Mullum Madness.Down by Main Arm

What most folks consider ‘true’ Mullumbimby Madness initially arrived in Northern NSW during 1971/72, only to blow unassuming hippie heads off. It was a strain from around the border of Laos and the Isan region of Thailand, grown in Main Arm, just outside of Mullumbimby. MM was a bush weighing in at about 20 or 30 pounds, growing up to 25 feet in height and generally yielding about 10 pounds of bud.

The plant would spread out dramatically and quickly grow into a wildly untamed tree. The weed’s headiness was incomparable at the time. Its potency and distinct dark bluish-greenish-purple colour quickly transformed the strain into a regional legend.
mulmadbud-199x300.jpg
Sativas in the sun. Photo sourced from username Kangativa.
Without adequate genetic management in the 1970’s, MM’s cultivation amounted to a flash in the pan. After only a few years, the plant’s genetics began to destabilise. By the end of its short run of mass popularity, the majority of bud being sold off as ‘Mullumbimby Madness’ had deteriorated considerably in quality.
The Colchicine Treatment

colchicine.png

It is rumoured that a few of these hippie breeders played around with Colchicine: a toxic plant extract commonly used to treat Gout symptoms. When applied to seeds, colchicine produces polyploidy, which increases the size of the cell walls, along with subtly promoting THC levels.

Funnily enough, ‘Mullumbimby Madness’ may have just been a product of cooked stoners doing some early genetic modification experiments on their grows. The only catch? These experiments required a substance five times deadlier than cyanide to work effectively.

This colchicine treatment may have left the plants infertile for breeding. Many of the MM seeds would simply not germinate; the ones that did would turn out to be horrific mutants. Reproducing the genetics proved to be difficult under these conditions, with efforts to ‘stabilise’ the strain ultimately ending in failure.
Authenticity

These days, the regions surrounding Mullumbimby are once again going mad. There are Mullum locals out there who claim to cultivate weed with the mythological strain’s genetics; however, from the outside, it’s hard to know what to believe. If you’re looking to get your hands on some, best to be careful; some of the claims out there are dubious at best.
huge-mullimbimby-madness-buds-300x251.png
Mad as hell. Image by username Kangativa.
Growers such as ‘Yantra‘ have been known to use other breeders’ photos to make a buck. Another Main Arm grower known as ‘Shantibaba‘ claims to possess MM genetics. He brought a series of his own strains, which many believed were the predecessors of Mullum Madness, from Australia to Amsterdam in the 1980’s. These were known as the ‘La Niña‘ hybrids. However, evidence indicates that the La Niña plants were of an altogether different strain. Shantibaba’s growing operation emerged over a decade after Mullum Madness first hit the scene. Therefore, it’s likely that his ‘Mullum Madness’ genetics are really from an old polyhybrid strain, given to him by another grower named ‘Mullum Madman‘.
shantibaba.jpg
Shantibaba’s supposed MM strain.
The most purported breeders according to the information available online are Kangativa and Bushweed. Both can be found on the International Cannagraphic forum. They have contributed immensely to online threads concerning MM, which were used to write most of this article. In open pollinating it every year and using seeds from the best females, they have managed to keep the strain tidy. The link between their strain (which they also sell as ‘Super Laos’) and the original MM is perhaps the least tenuous.

Kangativa also put his 30-year-old strain up against the world’s best. The late Nevil Schoenmakers (a legend in the Australian cannabis breeding community) tried this strain, claiming it was the closest in quality to his beloved ‘Nevil’s Haze’. Schoenmakers then bred MM, selling patents of the hybrids to medicinal cannabis corporations for over $1 million USD per strain.

Finally, some claim that the equally mythical ‘Old Mother Sativa’ is a predecessor to Mullum Madness. However, it’s likely that what people have called ‘Old Mother Sativa’ is just another mishmash of inbred Thai genetics, cultivated around the Kyogle area. It generally doesn’t have the kick of the real deal.
Legacy

Regardless of who *really* grows the stuff, ‘Mullumbimby Madness’ is a strain that primarily lives on in myth. In the 70’s and 80’s, its properties were talked about all across the nation. Every pretender in Queensland and Northern New South Wales claimed they had access to the plant. As the years rolled on, however, the term ended up as more of a marketing ploy. ‘Mullumbimby Madness’ was not a term restricted to the genetics of the 70’s MM, but for any sizeable outdoor bushy sativa with a purple colouring and origins in South East Asia. This is largely because such cannabis continued to grow in abundance throughout the region as the authentic Mullum Madness became evermore obscure. What is passed off as Mullum Madness today is often of a noticeably variable quality and genetic composition.

If you want to hunt down some *real* Mullum Madness these days, you may find it a tad difficult. Your best bet would be to reach out to Bushweed and/or Kangativa on the ICmag forums.

With that said, the large bushy plants that grow in the fertile land of the Northern Rivers often stand up to the best dope in the world. The sativas still growing in this region are often three times taller than your average human being!

Best of luck, and happy searching!

https://friendlyaussiebuds.com/australian-cannabis-education/mullumbimby-madness/

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer
The real MM was not a large commercial variety here you had to know the right people to even see it and i only saw it because i had friends growing it with the hippies.

There was also a line that came from up there that was close to the quality of the MM and that was seen commercially but only as sticks and that was called Mango Heads.

A few have tried to call unrelated lines MM but these lines were not even in the same ball park.

I read all these so called articles and know most of it is bull shit and story telling.

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
Some strains are definitely more likely to herm indoors than out. Not quite sure why, if there even is a common reason.

yea it s reported by many that was the case for them and others growing the same thing outdoor had no issues ,
sometimes the stress of those specific varieties being indoors seems to bring out those traits ....

Chi13

ICMag Donor
The real MM was not a large commercial variety here you had to know the right people to even see it and i only saw it because i had friends growing it with the hippies.

There was also a line that came from up there that was close to the quality of the MM and that was seen commercially but only as sticks and that was called Mango Heads.

A few have tried to call unrelated lines MM but these lines were not even in the same ball park.

I read all these so called articles and know most of it is bull shit and story telling.
You could still get Mango in Nimbin a few years ago.

Not sure where you are from but I have been up and down that coast since the 70s and lived in the Great Divide behind Coffs for a while. There was excellent pot, some it as good as Thai Stick. Some pretty average as well. You haven't got a monopoly on all the good stuff in Australia, Hempy. I don't vouch for the article, but which part of the article is bullshit? Most of it seems to have come from Kanga and Bushweeds thread.

@hempy

The Haze Whisperer

Not sure where you are from but I have been up and down that coast since the 70s and lived in the Great Divide behind Coffs for a while. There was excellent pot, some it as good as Thai Stick. Some pretty average as well. You haven't got a monopoly on all the good stuff in Australia, Hempy. I don't vouch for the article, but which part of the article is bullshit? Most of it seems to have come from Kanga and Bushweeds thread.

I never said i did Chi but did you have school friends living with the hippies that breed and grew the real MM from 78 until 84/85 when many of the locals left because of police harassment that included raid after raid my guess is no.

I even know were it the real MM was grown.

The only person making a competition out of this is you. You some how feel the need to look important i dont all i am doing is shearing real life experiences and factual information.

I would be highly surprised if the real Mango heads were seen after late 80s.

Stop trying to start drama i am not interested in a conversation with you and to be honest once the ignore feature is working your one of the first to be entered.

LostTribe

Premium user
I’m very interested in the mm pure. The bushweed plants seemed to be more mm leaning. I got very interesting terps using the nh21xmm. Mint lime and even very strong wintergreen. I plan on exploring these more as the terps are outstanding.
Here is crumbled lime x nh21x mm smells like bubbblegum mint. Freaking incredible honestly and steamrolled crumbled lime.
this makes me want to explore more mulimby madness.

Winter green might be closer to the minty thh

Sub24ox7

Thank you for that info. Yes strong wintergreen very unique. I know I will pop some of those thh minty pheno f2 seeds soon. 🙏

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran

yea we had stuff up here called mango heads too , into the 90s ,
i wouldnt worry about old mate with his self promotion chi,
you know he always has to be "the guy" , or i knew "the guy"
i was friends of "the guy" etc ,
its gets a bit old and doesnt go unnoticed by the rest of us who simply roll our eyes once again at the antics of the poor fella ,
this is what happens when your existence is so insignificant, so one has to come up with ways to seem important ,
part of the popular crew , etc
of course a variety grown by a small handful of people which was never commercial at all ,
would never have gotten a name anywhere and disappeared as fast as it had appeared ,
which doesnt seem the case with respect to mullum ,

to announce one knows where it grew , when its in the bloody name ,
is a bit daft and shows the caliber of the intellect of the person we are dealing with ,
lets hope when that ignore button is fixed we can all press it and not hear these outrageous and questionable tales any longer ...

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
It was a strain from around the border of Laos and the Isan region of Thailand, grown in Main Arm, just outside of Mullumbimby. MM was a bush weighing in at about 20 or 30 pounds, growing up to 25 feet in height and generally yielding about 10 pounds of bud.

that quote tends to suggest that its just thai stick ,
which is what was growing in the isan region of thailand mentioned , around udonthani , nong khai etc , all bordering Laos ..
well grown thai stick would certainly be capable of becoming legendary ...

funkyhorse

Mullum doesnt seem to be NL5, it certainly does grow tall with big internodes like cambodian dream
What an amazing thread. Wellll, they know this Mullum goes intersex indoors since long time ago, with such a structure no wonder it happens
He grew this succesfully in Victoria too but requires dry finnish...that will be the tricky part here, I hope the strain can adapt to high humidity

It is clear in that thread that there are many different versions of this MM. Kanga is saying his MM line is derived from this
Vintage Cannabis Photography: Mullumbimby Madness 1984

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

funkyhorse

So this is what we are growing
Kanga teamed up with Nevil to see what could be done with Kanga's MM, Oaxacan, Thais, Kariba Surprise & as below Nevil's Haze....

picture.php

They settled on the Nevil's Hz#21 cut, with her beautiful sativa structure and capacity to cross well..
picture.php

NH#21 & MM..
picture.php

picture.php

Dried NH#21...
picture.php

Donald Mallard

el duck
Veteran
As I said in the earlier post, the comments are worth reading. I won't paste them here for obvious reasons, but Kanga and MullumMadman make comment.
https://friendlyaussiebuds.com/australian-cannabis-education/mullumbimby-madness/

yep those comments are worth reading ,
some nostalgia going on there for sure ,

so i see now how super laos get a mention,
but it is in fact the stuff i used in the laos mango ,
that we got a few years back from udonthani ,
and its unrelated to the mullum ...
well not directly related anyhow , it might be distantly related ,
given the habit of that laos , its flowers etc ,
there is indeed a chance it is related to the original mullum described in the article ..