What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bush Weed Seeds

Raho

Veteran
Dude ...some of kangas was mixed with other stuff....I checked his out....some had oaxaca in and it seeme like some had other things in.....so yeah I checked it with my own eyes and grew them myself......I also had a different line of mullum...more bluish and more haze type smelling and something I recognize in the background of dj's blue lines seemed to be in it....I lost that.....anyway il message after in regards to thee rest...although bushys pure 78 pictures say alot .
I know all about that.
Early days he tried to be pretty transparent about those seeds. At least, his local friends knew all about it. Seeds from those select male open pollinations saved the day for him a few times over the years I think.

At the beginning of the Grail hunt, seeds were sold with pedigree including descriptions.
Here is that list. Note the males in #2 and #3:
1) MM X NL#5 SK1 X NL#5.AFGH​
2) NH35 X KANGA'S 2004 SATIVA
3) JIM'S Hawaiian X NH 2007 MIX
4) NH36 X EARLY MM #2​
5) NH42 X EARLY MM​
6) NH21* X EARLY MM #1​
7) NH18 X EARLY MM​
8) KARIBA X NH3* (Franken fuel)​
9) Super Kush Ortega x Kanga Kush​
10) NH36** X OAXACAN​
11) KARIBA X MM​
12) GUSH G13 x Hawaiian X Kush​
13) NH19 X MM5​

Those are some of those mixed lots of seeds he liked to make and run.

Hard to say what parent plants were used by nevil later, but in that moment in time, things were pretty much what they said they were (except for the modern wide-leaf stuff he had collected, which benefitted from "creative naming" by Nev I assume.

The "Big Mullum" line was pure at the time and practically speaking, was embodied in a single plant that Kanga sometimes called Mullum b. He had others, but Mullum b was the MM equivalent of the Nev#21 cut in importance.
My most precious Mullum seeds are based on that plant.

Speculation about the pedigree of the Oaxacan Space Shuttle containing NL is moot (unless you are trying to reproduce it yourself for some reason.) It's a cutting, not a seed line. It is what it is. It got bred into mullum and that work was always clearly labelled as a hybrid.
Besides that, I don't think there are any pedigree accuracy issues of significance with the seeds Bushy sold through Seedbay.

TheDarkStorm

I know all about that.
Early days he tried to be pretty transparent about those seeds. At least, his local friends knew all about it. Seeds from those select male open pollinations saved the day for him a few times over the years I think.

At the beginning of the Grail hunt, seeds were sold with pedigree including descriptions.
Here is that list. Note the males in #2 and #3:
1) MM X NL#5 SK1 X NL#5.AFGH​
2) NH35 X KANGA'S 2004 SATIVA
3) JIM'S Hawaiian X NH 2007 MIX
4) NH36 X EARLY MM #2​
5) NH42 X EARLY MM​
6) NH21* X EARLY MM #1​
7) NH18 X EARLY MM​
8) KARIBA X NH3* (Franken fuel)​
9) Super Kush Ortega x Kanga Kush​
10) NH36** X OAXACAN​
11) KARIBA X MM​
12) GUSH G13 x Hawaiian X Kush​
13) NH19 X MM5​

Those are some of those mixed lots of seeds he liked to make and run.

Hard to say what parent plants were used by nevil later, but in that moment in time, things were pretty much what they said they were (except for the modern wide-leaf stuff he had collected, which benefitted from "creative naming" by Nev I assume.

The "Big Mullum" line was pure at the time and practically speaking, was embodied in a single plant that Kanga sometimes called Mullum b. He had others, but Mullum b was the MM equivalent of the Nev#21 cut in importance.
My most precious Mullum seeds are based on that plant.

Speculation about the pedigree of the Oaxacan Space Shuttle containing NL is moot (unless you are trying to reproduce it yourself for some reason.) It's a cutting, not a seed line. It is what it is. It got bred into mullum and that work was always clearly labelled as a hybrid.
Besides that, I don't think there are any pedigree accuracy issues of significance with the seeds Bushy sold through Seedbay.
The one in 3 is a open pollination probably of the mr nice nh shanti had sent kanga....nevil must of progeny tested it as open pollination and all the phenotypes came out similar....if you remember kanga was saying the f1 nh nevil had was coming up way stronger than the mr nice version....and shanti quickly popped up saying but he had sent kanga the seeds.....kanga didnt say he hadnt as just before he linked nevil he had ordered loads of mr nice stock....but no explanation from shanti regarding the difference in the two batches....kanga wouldn't have known much about nevil haze but nevil did and it was nevil who was saying the commercial version was off...hence the open pollination test...
The 2004 sativa is from kangas mixed seeds...it come out oaxacan leaning...but it was from a bag of mixed opem pollinated seeds....the big mullum and all the others shown may not be pure as they came from the same bag...big mullum was made from a male and female from that mixed bag....the only pure one may have been what kanga called mullum#1 and he never shared that with anyone....the oxacan space shuttle was confirmed by kanga to have 5hz in it..no speculation..all that public part of the grail thread was nevil actually progeny testing for potential parents..not making mix batches....guess some people didn't realize what he was doing..you think he tested 50 different nh females and 20 males over and over to multiple things for fun... was for the selection for nh parents...same was done for multiple things....some seeds came out good still...but wen ready he took the ones he wanted and worked on the actual goals...

By the way you was asking me about hempys thai traits....and what bushy has...bush had the 78thai pure too that in his mm78'...he put pictures up of it...rounder buds and quite fast...quite broad leaves and golden lemon scented...looks like reefs thai he uses in harmony......hempys thai is longer flowering than the mullum and much wilder....it dont make the leaves on something wider when its crossed to something....or shorten flower time.....nor make the buds rounder and thicker....oh and it dont even have a lemon citric type scent and taste at all.....it actually tastes dark...kind of how can I put it..brown...its has a kind of liver taste and leathery notes and it passes this on...its like old old school brown thai...has similarities to some of the phenotypes that come from the hazeA hybrids..the more darker thai side.... anyway going round in circles....and I dont mind addmiting were I could be wrong...like the open pollination thing for bushys stuff..I could be wrong seeing as your saying its one to one....beans afew times came on and it was like he said they were open pollinations with 30-40 females each strain...but I could have just misinterpreted what he said...some of his posts got deleted....some are still up towards the beginning of this thread....but ive grown a few bits with hempys thai in...and ive grown bushys mm78...and ive grown harmony.....bushy mm78 isnt hempys thai....ive said my piece....who ever wants to hear it they can....who ever dont, they dont have to hear it....I dont gain or lose either way....ive got my own issues to deal with...my health is bad enough...I dont need to be going round in circles over and over......enjoy your plants....life is short....do what you can while you can.

Last edited:

TheDarkStorm

This what I was on about.....and no explanation why the two batches were different....just some talk about sending seeds.
One was kangas commercial batch he ordered just prior to linking nevil....the other nevils 97nh batch wi h shanti got in 2002...the mr nice ones were giving Christmas tree phenotypes, with more bud and thicker structure.....nevils 97 bach were giving all sorts...from creeper types, to wild sativas...to nl5hz types...much more leafier too and the bud more scaty....
Hi JKD I dont really know where you are but the thing about the Thai's is they take a long time to flower and you do need a fair few to find the right one.
Also the comparison I am using is with F1 nev hazes and after growing the NH on offer now and the F1's I can tell you the F1's are stronger.
Do I think the Thai is stronger.....well I still havent tried the later F1's yet but at the moment I will say yes, but in a different way as the Thai is more trippy.
I have also grown the Malawi, but due to the season we had i lost a few of them and only got to sample 2 and they definetly did not look good, so in all honesty I cant really give a good report on them.
If you dont have the season and space to work with alot of Thai's i would do your original cross, but if you do then go for the Thai.
I think these days crossing 2 landraces is the best thing you can do as not everybody is doing it and it is something very special if you get it right.
I wish you well in your choice and happy growing...k:gday:

Hi All

well nice thread and happy to see the Aussies are all at it.
I do not really come to icmag alot as our own site is enough work for me nowadays but this was brought to my attention by quite a few growers as it caused them confusion about what is NH on offer. At Mr Nice Seedbank we only have the NH made the same way as it always has been and if I am not incorrect it was the one Kanga bought from us over a year ago for his work on sativas.We do not make F2s as these can be made by growers after they buy the original seeds we sell ...it does not make sense to do for a seedbank when you have the original parent plants .

So good luck with the work you are all doing on sativas and the search for your grails, we do believe they are already amongst us but love to watch the land races and selections of others always! Be safe and all the success Shantibaba
So clearly two different batches of seed...and a good way to test if something has been worked to give certain types and traits is to open pollinate and see if it works anything like f1 or even f2....
Anyway im off....im too sick I should concentrate on looking after my health.

Last edited:

spitz

MM78 (A)
IMG_9602.jpeg

IMG_9759.jpeg

IMG_9808.jpeg

MM78 (B)
IMG_9801.jpeg

IMG_9470.jpeg

IMG_9448.jpeg

Sisters:

IMG_9572.jpeg

Both went 16 weeks. Minimal feedings just to see what they can take…each run gets a little better. Still getting to know them both…

Attachments

• IMG_9757.jpeg
    IMG_9757.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 64

F2F

FoxMcLoud

MM78 (A)
View attachment 18851067

View attachment 18851065

View attachment 18851068

MM78 (B)
View attachment 18851062

View attachment 18851069

View attachment 18851063

Sisters:

View attachment 18851070

Both went 16 weeks. Minimal feedings just to see what they can take…each run gets a little better. Still getting to know them both…
wats the difference between how they develop western style jar cure vs traditional SE Asian/cobbing cure? what aromas did you detect??

spitz

Keeping her going!

MM78b on week 10 @11/13.

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_1005.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

fun with (true male) pollen from my freezer:

MM78b x Ancestral Skunk

IMG_0964.jpeg

MM78b x Malawi

IMG_0972.jpeg

Listening to @dubi speak about the strength of his Malawi, I’m looking forward to seeing what some of the above has to offer. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_1004.jpeg
    IMG_1004.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1012.jpeg
    IMG_1012.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0998.jpeg
    IMG_0998.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0994.jpeg
    IMG_0994.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 29

FoxMcLoud

ThaiBliss

Veteran
Greetings,

I finally read this thread from start to finish. I started a couple of times before, but abandoned it. It's a rough read in many parts of it, but there are too many nuggets of information to ignore.

I hope nobody minds if I add to it with information about some seeds gifted to me by Bushy. To the best of my knowledge they are:

Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick - Kanga's Selected Cut X (Neville's Haze 21 x Big Mullum - Kanga)

I believe Bushweed gifted these to me for a few reasons:

1.) My never ending expressions of love for those Thai Sticks I enjoyed when I was a youngster. They made a huge impression on me. Yes, there were many other buds equally as strong, or of exceptional and unique character such as Sumatran, Jamaican Ganja, Mexican Red Hair, certain Colombians, but most of those were "one offs". My friends and I got those Thai sticks every year, year after year for about a decade, and they were always world class smoke.

2.) The only plant I ever grew that had that Thai Stick character and was as good or even better was a specific freakish pheno of Nevillel's Haze. I've grown about 50 seeds of various offerings of Haze, and that one plant was a clear winner. None ever came vaguely close to that one freak pheno of Neville's.

3.) I think Bushy loved Kangativa's Mullumbimby Madness. He often considered it the best weed of the year that he grew or smoked.

I have two plants growing outside in pots. It's my first attempt at a tropical grow. The following are some pics from today along with some notes.

This plant looks very close to being ripe. It flowered significantly faster and has different aromas than the other plant. It has smelled predominately of sweet pine, overripe tropical fruit, and Mexican style weediness.

20240224_083941(0).jpg

20240224_083924.jpg

20240224_083846.jpg

20240224_083855.jpg

20240224_083836.jpg

The other plant is the current the love of my life. It started flowering much more slowly, and looks to be about a full month behind the first plant. To me, this looks much more like a Thai plant. It has more aromas that I associate with Thai also, including black pepper, citrus, and pine. Currently, it is giving off strong mint aromas with a woody essence. It's not cedar or sandalwood. It is a very dry woody aroma like balsa wood. That balsa wood smell makes me want to cough. I still get pepper, pine, and citrus when rubbing some areas of the stem. By the way, that killer, freakish, acid pheno of Neville's Haze had a fresh (post thunderstorm), and minty aroma. Lightning in a bottle for damn sure.

20240224_084517.jpg

20240224_084244.jpg

20240224_084237.jpg

I'm documenting the living crap out of these in "The Search for Trip Weed" thread, but if people like, I'll post some finishing pics and smoke reports here.

All the Best to All!

Last edited:

growsjoe1

Premium user
Veteran
So beautiful...I remember the Thai stix fondly from my junior high school days. Mad respect your effort and obvious growing skills

Greetings,

I finally read this thread from start to finish. I started a couple of times before, but abandoned it. It's a rough read in many parts of it, but there are too many nuggets of information to ignore.

I hope nobody minds if I add to it with information about some seeds gifted to me by Bushy. To the best of my knowledge they are:

Gypsy Nirvana Thai Stick - Kanga's Selected Cut X (Neville's Haze 21 x Big Mullum - Kanga)

I believe Bushweed gifted these to me for a few reasons:

1.) My never ending expressions of love for those Thai Sticks I enjoyed when I was a youngster. They made a huge impression on me. Yes, there were many other buds equally as strong, or of exceptional and unique character such as Sumatran, Jamaican Ganja, Mexican Red Hair, certain Colombians, but most of those were "one offs". My friends and I got those Thai sticks every year, year after year for about a decade, and they were always world class smoke.

2.) The only plant I ever grew that had that Thai Stick character and was as good or even better was a specific freakish pheno of Nevillel's Haze. I've grown about 50 seeds of various offerings of Haze, and that one plant was a clear winner. None ever came vaguely close to that one freak pheno of Neville's.

3.) I think Bushy loved Kangtiva's Mullumbimby Madness. He often considered it the best weed of the year that he grew or smoked.

I have two plants growing outside in pots. It's my first attempt at a tropical grow. The following are some pics from today along with some notes.

This plant looks very close to being ripe. It flowered significantly faster and has different aromas than the other plant. It has smelled predominately of sweet pine, overripe tropical fruit, and Mexican style weediness.

View attachment 18964302

View attachment 18964301

View attachment 18964323

View attachment 18964324

View attachment 18964322

The other plant is the current the love of my life. It started flowering much more slowly, and looks to be about a full month behind the first plant. To me, this looks much more like a Thai plant. It has more aromas that I associate with Thai also, including black pepper, citrus, and pine. Currently, it is giving off strong mint aromas with a woody essence. It's not cedar or sandalwood. It is a very dry woody aroma like balsa wood. That balsa wood smell makes me want to cough. I still get pepper, pine, and citrus when rubbing some areas of the stem. By the way, that killer, freakish, acid pheno of Neville's Haze had a fresh (post thunderstorm), and minty aroma. Lightning in a bottle for damn sure.

View attachment 18964305

View attachment 18964304

View attachment 18964303

I'm documenting the living crap out of these in "The Search for Trip Weed" thread, but if people like, I'll post some finishing pics and smoke reports here.

All the Best to All!

Airloom

Veteran
My friends and I got those Thai sticks every year, year after year for about a decade, and they were always world class smoke.
I never got to smoke Thai sticks for 10 years but I am madly searching still for something close.

I WAS lucky to meet a California native who was also in the Air Wing of the USMC. He had connections in Laguna Beach and when I settled in at MCAS El Toro around August/September of 1976 he consistently got me almost anything I wanted. I did a lot of everything; like rolling joints waiting in line for the new Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disneyland.

Going to pay for some beers and pulling a Rorer out of my pocket with the change and the cashier immediately saying “I’ll give you five bucks for that” before I even realized wtf he was talking about.

It didn’t rain for 368 days as I recall.

It was as they say a formative experience for me that continues to this day. My bucket list of places to visit will surely have Laguna Beach Redux topping the list. I cannot shake it loose.
(I apologize for the fever dream off topic rant)

Thai sticks and seedless Thai that smelled the same every time but I still cannot describe it. I’d know it if I smelled it.

I’ve got Tom Hills Posi and a lot of others to run if I’m lucky enough to last.

It was either my youthful ignorance or a point in time like the crest of a wave……

Rest in peace HST
I bought the ticket, took the ride, and lived to tell A tale, not THE tale…..

👨‍🌾

buteo

Premium user
Veteran
Please do that. I love the photos and zoomed in on the last one in the first group and I think I could actually see what might be a dandelion seed with helicopter blades no? Excellent stuff all round…🎯
Yes there is a dandelion seed! Good eye!

Also great thread they look amazing!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228-150208.png
    Screenshot_20240228-150208.png
    567.7 KB · Views: 24