What's new

Burner phones

S

Scrappy-doo

Looking to get one.

Where's the best place to buy and what is the best/safest way to set it up properly?

One friend says they ask for your ID and another says he just gave a fake name.

Any other info, advice, or recommendations appreciated. Thanks.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
I call it my bad gurl phone..message is female and in full party mode..man can I start some shit with that.....

S

Scrappy-doo

Aligee- Cool, so with the sprint prepaid you don't have to give them any info at all?

Paladin- full party mode huh? lol I don't even want to ask.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i thought you guys were talking about ghost lines....those go for 100$ each and the phone lasts 3 months...but you need the hook up

Cheerful

why don't you just get a TracPhone or Net10, they are everywhere, and really cheap. Bought mine at a Family Dollar or Dollar General type store, no different from buying a box of soap. They sell refill cards also, and it can all be cash.

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Yeah,i get one and throw it away once the minutes are done.Another thing is,even though its a burner,erase every call and txt as soon as your done.So if you go check the recent call list,it should always be empty.You just walk in the store and buy the phone,there is no questions,id or anything.When you call someone,dial *67 too.It just best to use every precaution if your doing something yer worried about.

S

Scrappy-doo

OK cool so this sounds like something I could just get at walgreens or something. I'm gonna check it out. Thanks.

What does *67 do?

N

Nondual

you shouldnt need to give out any info for a pre paid cell
Exactly. If asked go some place else.

I pay cash for Tracfones. I use a known phone number when setting it up but for sure someone I barely know lol. Just remember when you use it NO names or locations in a conversation and stick to business and no chitty chat.

Another thing is,even though its a burner,erase every call and txt as soon as your done.
My understanding is they store all info and you can't delete info, even if you do like said, so replace regularly. For safe measure smash the phone and be a responsible citizen and recycle the battery properly :)

When I give my new number to friends it's usually in person or snail mail so that info never floats across the net or phone system. Also any 'names' I store are coded and I only talk to other burner phones on mine and NEVER call someones established number (cell/home).

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
Im not sure what you mean.Who stores info?Theres no names used and the company itself has every number from every phone in the world going through there data base.But as far as someone grabbing yer phone,they cant see any calls.*67 makes every call you make come up private on a caller ID.When you erase your call list,it is erased.So,the only way to retrieve it is with a warrant on your phone.So,if someone checked yer recent call list,it would come up as no calls,i do it all the time.Pre Paids come in a sealed plastic package,so you just buy it and move on,theres never even a remote chance of you being asked any info.But do break phone and recycle bat,like was said.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a Net10 as a backup/burner in a truck stop..NOONE asked for any id at all.

S

Scrappy-doo

Some great info here! I'm really surprised there isn't a thread on this already.

OK, so how do you handle having your usual cell phone along with the burner. Do you only take one with you at a time when going out?

I'm thinking of what might happen upon getting pulled over and car searched, and they find the burner phone.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Tell them you cheat on your girlfriend and that you leave it in the car. That's why there's no name and no messages.

There have been some recent cases where an officer has gone through a suspects phone without a warrant, right on the spot. The've used the info gleamed from that, to setup deals and further pursue actions against the suspect. Since they can toss you and your car for whatever, they can go through your phone. It's worth reading about for sure. It hasn't been determined at a higher level yet, but we'll see.

Molson

Prepaids don't protect you. They can pull txt messages off towers. Subpoena records, etc. C'mon guys...

Either what you're doing is at the point where you shouldn't be on phones period. Or what you're doing is of such little significance in LEs eyes (i.e. you're not on the radar 'cuz your just hooking your buddy and his friends up with an 8th every week) that your cell phone should work fine.

If you just want an extra so your primary is not blowing up all the time than by all means spend the extra $ and go for it.

S

Scrappy-doo

Prepaids don't protect you. They can pull txt messages off towers. Subpoena records, etc. C'mon guys...

Either what you're doing is at the point where you shouldn't be on phones period. Or what you're doing is of such little significance in LEs eyes (i.e. you're not on the radar 'cuz your just hooking your buddy and his friends up with an 8th every week) that your cell phone should work fine.

If you just want an extra so your primary is not blowing up all the time than by all means spend the extra $ and go for it.

Interesting. Can you explain this more?

Isn't a prepaid good though because it can't be linked to you?

If you get caught with it then it can but otherwise, isn't it just a nameless number? Say someone that I deal with or sell to gets caught and leo looks up their phone records for further leads. A consistent number that is of interest to them turns out to be a dead end because it's got no name attached to it.

Am I wrong here?

TripleDraw27

Veteran
Exactly. If asked go some place else.

I pay cash for Tracfones. I use a known phone number when setting it up but for sure someone I barely know lol. Just remember when you use it NO names or locations in a conversation and stick to business and no chitty chat.

My understanding is they store all info and you can't delete info, even if you do like said, so replace regularly. For safe measure smash the phone and be a responsible citizen and recycle the battery properly :)

When I give my new number to friends it's usually in person or snail mail so that info never floats across the net or phone system. Also any 'names' I store are coded and I only talk to other burner phones on mine and NEVER call someones established number (cell/home).

OP, Tracfones can be had at RadioShack. No personal info needed.
Just quoted this, as its the right way of going about this.

B

BrnCow

Walmart has Trac phones (Straightalk). The only one that is able to be anon is the cheapest one - Motorola - silver clamshell type 418 or 481 model or something like that. Anyways, the LCD is real sensitive so it has to be handled with care. I want to figure out how to rig on so the SIM can be yanked and tossed or destroyed instantly. Maybe save all the phone numbers on the SIM , drill a small hole in the SIM where it doesn't fuck it up, tie some fishing line onto it, and put a good loop on the lose end to yank and maybe some pliers handy to crush the SIM and destroy it. If a person deleted every call and message (which I don't use much at all since they log every one) as soon as they were over, I think it could look like a phone that is not working with no SIM. For this group, it should be a drop in a bucket to figure out a real trick system. Just remember that the displays are easily fucked up. That might be something to do also...costs $39.95 and a $30 card for 1000 minutes can be had or the 45 minute card for unlimited including internet. I do not use a business phone for internet so the 1000 minute/1000 message card is good. So for $69.95 with a $30 /1000 minutes renewal...not to bad! All the other ones seem to have to be recharged through the damn internet with a credit card - which adds more info to it...and do not add minutes to it until the last day as this resets the 30 day thing. You'll get some message to use the internet to recharge it - just ignore...mine even gives some bs on Caller ID instead of a name when I call...later...oh yeah, the reason for this post is to save money, not to commit crime...(disclaimer)