What's new

Building New Panels - Sharing the Process

GuFF

Also pushing the XM-Ls at 2.1 forward amps yields a forward voltage of what appears to be 3.2 V on their 'electrical characteristics' graph. 30 x 3.2V = 96V, those drivers have a max of 95V, therefore it would seem 29 LEDs per string would be the max unless I'm missing something, with respect to Rives I think he was just estimating.

rrog

Veteran
Good to double check these things. Driver selection is the biggest pain of this whole process in my estimation.

guvoo

a solution ?

invent-20-5_zps53c3f3fd.jpg

25 leds on each driver, 5 leds(WW)can be shorten by a switch.
with constant current no problem as long as you switch without power on.
min Voltage for the driver 57V >> 20 x 3,2=64 V

GuFF

You'd have to maneuver your wiring for your string around so you don't just turn all the LEDs at one end of the panel as to not jack up your coverage.

When wiring the string one could just skip maybe every 5th LED then come back and get those with the end of the string. Those last LEDs would be the ones designated to be turned off with the switch.

rrog

Veteran
For future builds they'll all be on or all off. The panel I just built is for a friend. Being installed this weekend, in fact. His is a closet grow, so the light has to veg and flower. New panels will be for my new grow room, and will be dedicated flower or veg.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
i m certain you could run 30 XML diodes w/ that driver ~they basically run w/ what you hit them w/ you just want it to be within spec so they arent damaged or short lived

idk that i would put a lot of emphasis into dimming and shutting strings off unless it was a simple solution or you just really like to tinker

I think 1:1 with NW and WW would work good in veg and bloom

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
any update RROG?

hows your friend liking the panel.. interested to hear

great work man, now some for yourself....that's always fun building more ( joking but not really )

rrog

Veteran
The unit is up and operational. My newbie buddy had a rough start with seedling popping, but has 5 seedlings up now. I'll have to get some pics. 8" away = 1000FC. 18" was ~700 measured under the center. Nice and cool operation. Very happy.

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
would love some pics some time of happy plants under them..

that's great man..

rrog

Veteran
Will be planning the 5 new panels soon enough. Have to sell this house first. But I'll forward pics of my buddies grow. More LED pron.

rrog

Veteran
picture.php

After a rocky start with some still-hot soil, my buddy is almost three weeks from sprouts emerging from soil. No signs of burn. Temps are cool and as you can see from the lack of stretch, they are loving the light. I'd estimate about 800FC, light panel is maybe 14" from canopy.

rrog

Veteran
My friend's grow is very bushy. No stretch. Not complaining, but is this a wavelength issue, or just that he has a lot of light?

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
it took me a while to find a post where you said you used 1:1 WW to NW {which is what i thought anyway} i wouldnt be surprised if that is a blue-heavy lamp compared to what you "need." would you say it's problematic or 'freakish?'

more dense flowers does seem more desirable to me. I have a hard time imagining a situation where they are too dense outside of botrytis ~maybe an issue w/ certain strains?

rrog

Veteran
Measuring the light, it's at 750-900FC, so a lotta light. I've just figured it's very bright = less stretch. Nothing freaky about the plants at all.

rives

Inveterate Tinkerer
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image

Flipping to 12/12 tonight

What lighting schedule has your friend been using? Has he been gradually decreasing the hours, or just going straight from the veg schedule to 12/12? Keep track of how long it takes to see visible flowering - I've always been surprised at how quickly bud set takes place with LEDs.

rrog

Veteran
So far 24/0. Flipped to a hard 12/12 and turned on the WW afterburners for flower.
Other than a little burn from not-quite-fully-composted soil when the seeds were first planted, they have done pretty well. Nice bushes, nice color.

I will be helping him sex the plants, as this is his first ever grow. Then he'll transplant the females to 15 gallon geopots.

xmobotx

ecks moe baw teeks
ICMag Donor
Veteran
24 to 12 is how i have always done it; i think about working fancy schedules and i have done the 'short night' thing like 18/6 for veg and dont see much if any difference but it seems a bit like work and taking the simplicity out of a working scenario

those are look'n good ~exciting to see them flower/find out sex/check out the light

!